Notices

Fuel reg screws

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2004, 02:52 PM
ringpuke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuel reg screws

Does anyone have any tips on getting the screws out of the Fuel Reg MY99? I really cannot see a very easy way of doing it, I see loads of people buying the FSE reg but I can't find any fitting guide.
Can the fuel rail it is attatched to be loosened enough to tilt it to get easier access? What 's the minimum you would have to take off to do that?
Or do most people fit these whilst upgrading their turbo?
Old 16 April 2004, 12:05 AM
ringpuke
Scooby Regular

Ok as no one seems to know or have all done it with no probs, I finally did it with a mini ratchet with an 8mm socket holding a philips screwdriver bit, I also needed a 2.5" extension for this. The screws came out quite easily then. Which is just as well as I had to re-use them, the bolts supplied with the FSE are too big. But I had to use the washers as the screws go straight through the holes of the new plug thing that goes in the fuel rail in place of the old regulator. Jees I hope I got sent the right one...
And another couple of dumb questions, my FSE came with the pressure guage seperate and its got an air bubble in it although I havent snipped the little black nipple thing off it yet, is this right? And do you leave the guage fitted all the time.... I'm sure I've read that you don't leave it fitted, but I see ppl on here do.
I can post pics of my install if anyone wants to see or laugh or advise me if its ok before fuel goes everywhere.
Old 16 April 2004, 12:12 AM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

can't offer any advice !

but I'd like to see a couple of pictures as i'm due to fit mine soon
Old 16 April 2004, 12:29 AM
Myk
Scooby Regular

Cool

I still ahvent fitted mine yet!

Job well done on the adaptor thingy

The gauge is supposed to be fitted to adjust the pressure and then removed, but having a guage under the bonnet does look quite cool

The bubble is supposed to be there. It is some sort of liquid which helps the guage be more accurate.

If you have any pics it would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 16 April 2004, 12:33 AM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Wink

They can be a little awkward to do, make sure you haven't damaged the small O'ring on the adapter bracket which fits in place of the Oem regulator as it is at an awkward angle thus the O'ring can be easily damaged.
With regards to the gauge don't cut the black nipple off as the Glycerol damping fluid will leak out the fluid is there to prevent needle oscillation - the air bubble is normal You can leave the gauge fitted if you like providing all the joints are 'leak proof'

Cheers
Old 16 April 2004, 08:40 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to use the olds screws from the original reg too..

Fiddly b4stard thing to fit

JGM
Old 16 April 2004, 09:25 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

I would suggest that refitting with some hex or cap headed screws would be more sensible than reusing the philips ones - just in case!

Sorry for not replying yesterday - I've got ph.1 rails so don't have this problem - I have a friend waiting to fit a FPR with a ph.2 rail adaptor and we are waiting until we change his turbo to do it!

Andrew...
Old 16 April 2004, 11:17 AM
ringpuke
Scooby Regular

Hi all,
I have took some pictures, but I confess I still haven't tested anything - mainly cos its my birthday today and I don't want the agro today if anything does leak. Delboy the sticker on the gauge says cut top after installation, with a little picture of some scissors cutting the top off the black nipple; are you sure I don't do it? I am not disputing at all as I'm a complete and utter novice as you can tell from my prior posts - fgs I even thought the regulator was the black canister over by the washer bottle until I couldn't find a vac pipe coming off it! LOL if only its location was that simple....
pics are all at www.southernlights.demon.co.uk and should be self explanitory, umm they are massive as I'm also digi camera illiterate. Someone make them clicky if they are ok or point out my errors pleeeez.
Incidentally the heat shield and therefore the intercooler had to come off to get to those pesky screws.

Last edited by ringpuke; 16 April 2004 at 11:28 AM.
Old 16 April 2004, 12:50 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

LOL.

I never cut no nipples on mine.. lol

JGM
Old 16 April 2004, 12:58 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

After looking at the pictures.. they are huge!!

Concerned that you have mounted that near the turbo.. at least one of the pipes looks to be too close to the turbo and if you get a leak it is going to spray/drip straight onto a hot turbo.

I found that mine leaked and I would recommend you call into a plumbing place and get some Bosswhite, it can seal fuel and gas etc.. I put some on the thread of my connections that were leaking and therefore wet with fuel and redid them up and it sealed them.

JGM
Old 16 April 2004, 01:13 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thats was I was thinking too JGM - I personally fitted the regulator over the other side of the engine bay for this reason. Appart from that it looks a good install M8 With regards to the gauge if it is mounted in a static position permanently where it will never be moved then the nipple can be cut but in car applications where it is likely to move it is advisable to leave the nipple alone, there will be no detriment in doing so

Cheers
Old 16 April 2004, 02:48 PM
ringpuke
Scooby Regular

Ah ok, it's all a bit clearer. So if I boss white the connectors (was it just the gauge/brass plug one you mean, or did your in and outs leak too?) to the reg, it's ok to leave it there as long as there are no leaks? If there's a leak youre in trouble wherever you put it I reckon. And insurance is the best way to get your money back on a scoob I've heard (joke).

I also sited it there as it said in the destructions to keep in the vicinity of the old reg, and there was no way enough hose to site it where you did JGM. And you have loads of room there becuase you have a front mount dont you? I will move it to the bulkhead if I really have to, what do you reckon? I mean the vac hose that comes off the turbo is ok with all that heat, so these pipes should be ok that close as long as there's no leaks, if the old reg had sprung a leak at the return to tank connection this could also spray fuel near to the turbo couldnt it?

Sorry if this is all a bit mixed up sounding I've had a birthday beer already.
Old 16 April 2004, 03:14 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

re-sized the photos

Old 16 April 2004, 03:52 PM
ringpuke
Scooby Regular

Slight update, all the connectors to the regulator weep fuel, so I'm off for some boss white. Within 20 secs of starting it up smoke started coming off the turbo but I'm hoping thats residual fuel that spilt out the rail when I removed the old regulator, or some stray penetrating oil I used on the pesky reg screws before I started. I knew it'd be ag if I tried it today....damn still had to tinker though.
Old 16 April 2004, 07:21 PM
ringpuke
Scooby Regular

Cheers all who contributed, it seems ok now I have redone the reg fittings with "Black Swan swan seal" just another make of Hawk white or Boss white but is specially formulated for fuels, so check it says for gasoline on the side of the tin if you are getting some. Have left it sited where it is for the moment, the only thing Im concerned about is the boiling point of that stuff in the guage, so that will probably come off after I have checked pressure is 2.6-2.7 on hot idle after a run. Thats the pressure I have been advised for my car with the current state of mods, I should imagine its different for people who have gone further.
Old 17 April 2004, 02:16 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

That's the stuff.. would have been back sooner but busy.

mine weeped everywhere too.

The location is up to you.. see how you get on..

I do have more space due to front mount but thinking about mounting it somewhere else but will be away from turbo still.

JGM
Old 17 April 2004, 03:13 PM
ringpuke
Scooby Regular

took it for a blast last nite and all seems ok, had to adjust the screw about 1/4 turn clockwise to get 2.7bar. I turned the alarm so the siren points down more which allowed the regulator bracket to be bent another inch away from the turbo, vertical drips would definately miss the turbo, a spraying joint wouldnt but that's trouble anywhere. The return to tank joint could leak onto the uppipe as could a leaking oem reg so I'm reasonably confident that its going to be ok there. Stuff in the guage barely got warm where it is, so I'm leaving that on for now. No flames=good
Old 18 April 2004, 09:19 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Difficult to tell how close it is from the pictures..

Just keep an eye on it.

JGM