Notices

How to clean boost solenoid valve...Please!

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2004, 07:28 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean boost solenoid valve...Please!

Actually this question is for the guy that bought my old MY00 Impreza turbo but he can't find any help from service as they suggested him to change solenoid valve!
He had his 50k km service from Subaru service before one week, now the car cuts at 1-1,1 bar and after a long search we found that the dealer put in 5lt of oil, the mark when cold is exactly at the top notch on dipstick!!!
By adjusting the restrictor valve (from John Banks, replaces restrictor) the car drives well but this happens only when below 0,95-1 bar!
So our conclusion is the problem comes from boost solenoid valve and the hoses, we cleaned them all - it helps a lot - but car still cuts.
Does anyone have the directions for cleaning boost solenoid valve please, I can't find them on my files and need asap help?
JIM
Old 16 February 2004, 07:33 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spray brake cleaner through the solenoid with the ECU in test mode. You can activate test mode by connecting the green test mode connectors together under the steering column.
Old 16 February 2004, 10:24 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Thanks John for your quick answer, just to be sure the solenoid is where the third hose from "T" piece (that has a small filter in the middle) enters right?
Do I have to turn the ignition on when connect the test mode connectors together and can I use whichever hose of the three that are connected to the solenoid to spray brake cleaner through it?
Thanks
JIM
Old 16 February 2004, 10:47 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes ignition to position 2 and the solenoid will click.

The bottom of the T goes to the solenoid just spray down that.
Old 17 February 2004, 06:51 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

....and keep away from the cooling fans, which also activate when car is in mad-cow test mode

Richard
Old 17 February 2004, 03:13 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks, we cleaned them all but car still cuts at 1+ bar, now ir reacts better though.
We found also that the dealer connected wrong the triple original Subaru gauges in his car (ground to the power!!!) but the car still hesitates and cuts after correcting the above.
Probably the earthing system has a problem somewhere or there is still a current in the ground that causes this behaviour! We'll change solenoid valve and ignition wires and we'll see...
Any other thoughts please?
JIM
Old 17 February 2004, 03:26 PM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

plugs???? or faulty coil packs maybe??? - also been advised that these can cause similar behaviour

can overfueling/overboosting (ECU cuts) also cause similar problems??? dunno & not an expert, but just little tit bits of advice i have picked up during fault finding
Old 17 February 2004, 08:19 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Now the cut is intermediate so I wonder also if are coil packs or grounding problem, we change the sparks with the olds that are in perfect condition, new fuel filter just in case and list goes on!
Old 17 February 2004, 09:55 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Jim,i had similair problems on an MY01 and brake cleaner never worked on the boost Solenoid,carbureter cleaner worked a treat on all the boost solenoids i've done with a blast of the brake cleaner at the end to disolve any left over carb cleaner.

The brake cleaner is too gentle to do a decent job.
Old 18 February 2004, 04:55 AM
BruceWarne2
Scooby Regular

You did tap off some of the oil, didn't you?
Old 18 February 2004, 06:30 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Of course we tap off more than 1/2 lt! Service changed almost all sensors from their MY00 to his car but I believe it's still boost related as they found to much oil on intercooler pipework, solenoid hoses (again) etc
I suggested him to clean the I/C, hoses, solenoid, boost valve, boost pressure sensor and see how it's going.
Never mind, thanks all for your help.
JIM
Old 18 February 2004, 07:19 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Get a Dawes? My 97 uk turbo was overboosting to 1.1 with original pipework and restrictor.

Changed to a dawes and is now more manageable.
Old 18 February 2004, 07:25 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

As you mention, if bad you'll need to do all the boost solenoid hoses too - and if the i/c is full of oil then it's be recirculating all that back into the system (via dv).

Richard
Old 18 February 2004, 08:20 PM
Nick200
Scooby Regular

I might seem a bit dim here but where is the boost solenoid? any pics so I can clean mine as well.

Please.
Old 19 February 2004, 01:23 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

There is a very small hose on turbo exit that goes to a "T" piece. From this piece another small hose goes to the wastegate and one to the solenoid. It has also a small filter at the end and before the solenoid, if my memory serves me right!
Of course a Dawes device can solve some problems but could produce much more, I prefer the ECU to control the boost especially at higher revs rather Dawes and if it's necessary to cut boost, reduce ignition etc
May be you won't agree with me but even if the car isn't mine now I prefer to be always on the safe side.
JIM
Old 19 February 2004, 01:37 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Jim,

You still up too m8? It's 3.30 am you know.

Regarding the Dawes, in this case is not a good idea, cos the problem that didn't exist before needs to be fixed. The dealers have stuffed up somewhere. I think Richard has hit the nail on the head. There was too much oil and it's gone in the intercooler and is still clogging up the pipes.

As Zippy says, use carbie cleaner and clean out the intercooler and pipes again. It will probably fix it.

Cheers,

George.