Notices

SOMEBODY HELP ME!

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2004, 10:51 AM
TripleX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. I've just purchased the only car I've ever wanted to own. A Jap Subaru Impreza Type R. Red top engine, quick shift gearbox.

Ok, heres the bad news. I got too stoned and forgot to check the oil! I KNOW OK!!!! As soon as engine started rattlin' on motorway we pulled over. Guy from AA who got us home said "NEW ENGINE". If its only just started rattling can I put oil to capacity and save it. Can I do anything or is it new engine time? Any idea of potential costs involved guys? Plus does anybody know of a REPUTABLE performance centre in the North West? The one in Wigan looks ok.

Come on Guys, I need help. She's soooo quick, I want to get her back on the road a.s.a.p.

With Kind regards and thanks.

Hopefully,

Stevie
Old 25 January 2004, 12:43 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you saying it won't run?
Old 25 January 2004, 12:56 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Talking

so you got stoned and then drove it down the road and blew it up ?

LMFAO!
Old 25 January 2004, 01:14 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well its gonna probably cost you a rebuild & new big end....starting from £1800 upwards.......
Old 25 January 2004, 02:15 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Silly question Stevie, but what petrol have you been putting in it? Also, just how low on oil was it before it started "rattling"?

If the engine literally has run dry, the damage is likely to be worse than just the big ends, so yes, by the time all the knackered bits are replaced, you may end up with a new engine.

If, however, you've been running the wrong fuel in the car, and the damage was actually caused by detonation, the list of damaged parts may be a little more confined...
Old 25 January 2004, 03:13 PM
TripleX
Scooby Newbie

I had no indication that it was low on oil (no light) thought it was ok didnt check it. Pulled over when it judderred like **** at 95mph. Pulled straight onto hard shoulder. Will start fine and turn over. Just rattles. I know nothing, but AA guy said its knackered. He said that was worse case scenario. Summat about it might be only the bottom end?

Thanks 4 quick replies chaps. Just put 2L of 10/40 in. Guy who sold it to me said use that grade. Ive been putting in performance unleaded.

And one thing to remember "from little acorns... " and all that.

In other words, I guess some of you were as clueless as me before u learnt anything, so go easy man, I know I ****ed up, I just want me baby back on the road!!

Stevie
Old 25 January 2004, 03:56 PM
TripleX
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Topped up engine oil to a sensible level and ran her on drive for 5 minutes. Engine running fine idle and revved. Knocking not so loud but in centre of engine. Thought it was coming from black metal casing that fanbelt goes into but I think its inside the engine. Can only describe the sound as like a ball bouncin' round a roulette wheel, sort of?

Am I well risking it taking her out for a spin tonight? I want lots of women with blonde hair to look at her! lol.

Stevie
Old 25 January 2004, 04:30 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Fooked mate.
Old 25 January 2004, 04:50 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Big end..............
Old 25 January 2004, 04:56 PM
TripleX
Scooby Newbie

New Engine then?

Is the performance centre in Wigan any good?

ta

Stevie
Old 25 January 2004, 05:39 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Just put 2L of 10/40 in. Guy who sold it to me said use that grade.
How much of a difference has this fill made to the oil level? Is it now at the "full" mark on the dipstick?

A 10/40 semi-synth is not the best stuff you could use, but given that the engine's about to be stripped down and rebuilt, there's little point putting expensive stuff in it. There are plenty of threads on oil around the forum so just have a little read.

Ive been putting in performance unleaded.
That's not enough. It's possible that the "juddering" you felt may have been prompted by detonation rather than the oil starvation being the contributing factor.

Unless you know the car has been remapped to run on UK specification fuel, you should be using Optimax plus sufficient quality of a good octane booster to raise the fuel to the level the car would expect in Japan (which is in excess of 100 RON).

Furthermore, is it possible that the car has been modified? If so, it may be even more prone to det, so, as with any other Japanese import, you really need a KnockLink fitted before you go hooning round in it.

In other words, I guess some of you were as clueless as me before u learnt anything, so go easy man,
I don't think Micky's comment had anything to do with your naivety, althouth you certainly aren't doing yourself any favours in this area.

Mick's concern seemed to be the inference that you went for a drive while you were "stoned". I'm not sure whether that's actually what you meant to say, but if you do genuinely drive round the place when you're high, you certainly do come across as a bit of a ***.

Am I well risking it taking her out for a spin tonight?
No. It sounds like the big ends are knackered, and it doesn't now matter whether you've filled it with oil or not, the damage is done, and continuing to drive it will only make things worse.

I want lots of women with blonde hair to look at her! lol.
Do you want them all laughing at the funny noise and the smoke pouring out the back?

[Edited by greasemonkey - 1/25/2004 5:48:36 PM]
Old 26 January 2004, 11:50 AM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

Red face

Have u concidred the cambelt tentioner they being oil dampned do aparently deteriorate on scoobs [ive seen lots of threads mentioning this..and makes a loud clacking sound from where u described it]...u say the car runs ok apart from this noise so id make sure before going 4 the engine rebulid...just a thaught m8 as this would save u 1000,s.
Old 26 January 2004, 12:08 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Prosport 0161 432 9999 (Stockport) or Jap innovations 0161 652 0920(Oldham) should be able to help.

Both excellant places / people to deal with.

Chris

While I'm at it quick plug - Theres a Lancashire Subaru meet soon click here for details
Old 26 January 2004, 08:45 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Greasemonkey is correct

i dont belive getting stoned and driving at 95mph is a very good idea really
Old 26 January 2004, 11:29 PM
white scooby
Scooby Senior

have a chat with Chris at Hyper Sports and Racing in Hindley, Wigan. He will be able to sort everything out for you!! 0845 2250111
Old 27 January 2004, 12:37 AM
TripleX
Scooby Newbie

Nah man. I've sussed it, thanks to Chris's advice. She's going up to Jap Innovations in Oldham 2moz! ne way. I always drive stoned. That's not the issue. The issue is my total and absolute lack of short term memory! Thereby resulting in failure to top up the engine sufficiently, OK! I may like a spliff or three but I'm not totally derranged y'know! lol

Stevie

PS Much respect to Chris for the contact numbers!!! Put me down for attending meet on 15th. 1st one mate! Does any money need to change hands up front to confirm my attendance?
Old 27 January 2004, 12:51 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but it very much is the issue.

Maybe if you didn't get stoned, you wouldn't be having these problems with your short-term memory, let alone be risking the lives of other road users by driving under the influence. *rsehole.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 1/27/2004 12:54:25 AM]
Old 27 January 2004, 01:45 AM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Nice Username

Could you please use a different one, you'll give me a bad name!

[Edited by Triple X - 1/27/2004 1:48:49 AM]
Old 27 January 2004, 01:52 AM
TripleX
Scooby Newbie

And to u m8!! Mine comes from the hat I wear brought back from gods country (Amsterdam) and the fact I have an extensive continental DVD collection! lol.

Can u or somebody else defend me against Mr. Grease Monkey, I think he's pickin on me! I only came on here for advice on me Scooby (and to meet like minded enthusiasts of course) not 4 advice on me life style. How many drink drive DEATHS? I personally don't touch a drop!

Regards,

Stevie
Old 27 January 2004, 01:57 AM
TripleX808
Scooby Newbie

Happy now?
Old 27 January 2004, 07:57 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

LOL could have been confusing at the next meet - Tripple x met Tripple x - mind you Johns has nothing to do with his vid collection

I see you've already reqistered on TREV's post in Northern. Just turn up and see if you like it - membership details / discounts etc etc etc will be explained on the day,

Chris
Old 27 January 2004, 02:01 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Appreciate it!

I personally dont have a problem with people who like a smoke but there is a time and place for it, you'd get a better reply if you left such details out.
Old 27 January 2004, 05:36 PM
TripleX808
Scooby Newbie

Fellow X. U are right. I don't see many posts from Scooby owners sayin' "I had too many pints and blew me engine, I just got a wee bit stressed over me baby. Thankfully, Richard at Jap Innovations is lookin after her and she will be back oin the road by the end of next week.

Thanks 4 advice to all and hopefully c u on the 15th. I'll be the one with the red face.

Stevie

p.s. a final apology to Mr. Greasemonkey. Sorry man, didnt mean to make u all emotional and aggressive! No offence intended.

Yeah!!! she's back on the road soon!
Old 27 January 2004, 06:43 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

You didn't make me either emotional or aggressive, you don't live anywhere near me so the chances of your behaviour killing someone I care about are comparatively slim.

I just don't agree with your apparent view that while driving under the influence of alcohol is wrong, taking to the road when you're on something else is acceptable. Sounds like I'm not the only one too.

As has been said, if you want responses to be limited to your car, don't include details of your lifestyle which you suspect others might have negative opinions of.
Old 27 January 2004, 06:49 PM
TripleX808
Scooby Newbie

That's cushti Mr Monkey!

Stevie x