Notices

Knocklink and autometer boost gauge readings - Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2004, 05:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Fitted knocklink and autometer boost gauge and I'm not sure the readings are correct. My car is MY00 UK and always run on optimax.

Knocklink - on start up, 2 green lights flash and then it drops to one green dull light. Went for a drive and it didn't move. I put the sensor where most seem to, which is on the passenger side under the IC which already has a bolt holding a pipe bracket and letters to the right. Seems a long way from the pistons though? anyone put the sensor closer to the pistons?

Boost gauge - used the extra nipple as does everyone else, wired up to gauge and started up. The gauge reads 20 in/hg vacumn (?)and when boost is applied it shows a pressure of 12 ish PSI max but usually struggles above 10PSI.

The car doesn't feel any slower and seems to pull as it did before. I thought the gauge should read 0 PSI off boost and increase as boost is applied, so if theres a vacumn its pulling air in.

Any help much appreciated.

[Edited by EddScott - 1/18/2004 5:25:10 PM]
Old 18 January 2004, 06:20 PM
JapTune
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt worry to mch about the Knocklink, would you rather have all the lights lit up?? what sensetivity do you have it set to?

The boost gauge will read vacumn off boost because that is what the engine is doing sucking rather than being blown into.

Rob
JapTune
Old 19 January 2004, 09:35 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

BTT

Would like more opinions as to knock position and whether 20in/Hg is right on the gauge off boost.

Ta
Old 19 January 2004, 12:50 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

If your worried your sensor is not working then give it a slight tap with a spanner and look at all the lights on your Knocklink light up.

Your boost gauge will show negative until you ask for boost (by putting your foot down). Mine reads -0.6 bar at tickover.

Dave.
Old 19 January 2004, 01:02 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Your boost reading is fine... and as per what other people ahve said about the knocklink. Give teh block a tap nearby and what the big red light it.

Tony.
Old 19 January 2004, 02:37 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Does your boost gauge read 0 when the engine is off? If so, it sounds spot on. Also, the car won't drive any differently just because you've fitted a boost gauge. It doesn't eat air the same way your intake manifold does!

As for the Knocklink, you wouldn't expect anything more than what you've already described on a standard car. If you give the car a thrashing, you'll probably get the second green to flicker at high revs, but that'll be engine noise rather than knock. However, if and when you start modifying, you'll find it becomes worth its weight in gold.

To test it, as already suggested, make sure it's on maximum sensitivity, and give the block a tap with something metallic, near the sensor (but don't tap the sensor itself) and you should get all lights on. If they don't, either the sensitivity is on minimum instead of maximum, you've wired it up incorrectly, or either the sensor or the control unit's knackered.
Old 19 January 2004, 02:47 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

I did a search and found another post regarding autometer gauge readings and it seems things are OK there. It floats around 19 or 20 in/Hg off boost or idle and goes up to about 10 to 12 full boost (std UK). It does go to 0 when off.

As for knocklink, I think its on max sensitivity but I'll check. I tapped it yesterday with a screwdriver and the GF said it went to amber so I guess its working OK too.

My car is getting a TEK2 re-map week today so be interesting to see what PSI she gets to after that