Notices

Loss of boost from turbo? Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2003, 07:34 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The turbo (VF22) on my car (MY98 Sti) started to screech at high revs after i had an oil leak which turned out to be the oil supply pipe (fixed by getting help from peeps on here )The screeching gradually stopped so i left it and never really checked,Got the car back on road after sorting insurance and i've noticed a purrr sound when reving at low revs can't hear it at high revs due to other noises.

The purr sound is like an exhaust leak checked the exhaust after getting the car onto a ramp and the leak seems to be coming from the exhaust joints at the turbo but couldn't tell exactly where from.

I checked by hand around the turbo and the air leak is from the joint of the pipe shown below, it is a sucktion (sp) rather than a blow leak so i am assuming this pipe is some sort of exhaust circulation which spins the turbo?

maybe this sucktion is normall?

Is there anybody around the dewsbury/leeds/wakefield/bradford area that can fix this for me?

The pic below is of the pipe when i had the oil leak hence the oil spilage on it...

Any help is very much appreciated

Old 30 December 2003, 08:02 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hi Franko, i know this doesn't help but my93 wrx is the same, getting the screeching noise, smell of oil burning but as if its leaking on somewhere hot on the engine, and the exhaust blowing sound from somewhere near the turbo. whats this about that oil pipe as i better check that.

Thanks - matt
Old 30 December 2003, 09:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

The pic looks like the manifold to up-pipe.

Due to the way exhaust the gasses "pulse" and move back and forth (Due to unequal length manifolds and a load of technical stuff that I wont get into). A leak on the manifold or up-pipe may well "suck" in air instead of blowing out.

If it is sucking in air, then depending on how bad, it may cause the engine to run rich as the oxygen sensor will detect more oxygen in the exhaust gasses. Which may lead to some performance problems.

So, NO this is not normal

[Edited by ALi-B - 12/30/2003 9:25:43 PM]
Old 30 December 2003, 09:51 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the info Ali-B been a great help

Goto find me a decent sucktion thingy fixer now

WRXMATT, the clicky below will take you to the thread where all the info is to my fix of the oil supply pipe, the picture with red circled pipe is of the oil supply pipe, hope you get it sorted mate

Clicky

Old 02 January 2004, 09:15 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

After having the car checked by a mechanic it appears i need to change the pipe, mechanic says its the same on all classic scooby's and i should just replace it with a standard one.

The car has a full decat exhaust system...
Is there an aftermarket manifolde to up-pipe i could buy to help performance or should i stick with a standard one?

Any help mucho appreciated