Notices

tuning

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2003, 09:41 PM
madbiker
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi i'm new to Subaru's and need some help, can anyone advise me on the best way to increase performance on my 2001 wrx. I have just bought it and having come from a 255bhp Fiat coupe i find it a bit flat. Can you change the ECU eprom chip or do you have to change the whole ECU. I know you can get power gains by the usual exhaust and air filter mods but i NEED something more!
Old 29 December 2003, 10:18 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Do you want to keep the warranty intact?

If so, then the only option is the Prodrive Performance Pack (PPP). It will probably involve changing the full exhaust, leaving only a high-flow cat in the downpipe. They may change the air filter and they will revise the ECU. Ask your local Subaru dealer for pricing. There's many references to it on this Forum. Do a search for "PPP".

If you don't care about the warranty then there are many more options availble to you. In general terms, upgrading the exhaust will give the cheapest performance gains. Also consider a reprogrammed ECU. You may want to consider having it reprogrammed with ECUtek software. This uses the existing ECU hardware, but reprograms it (see here for ECUtek outlets). You may want to consider a replacement panel air filter element. Choose a dry one (not oiled, or at least - not heavily oiled) to reduce chances of problems with the air flow sensor. A boost gauge would be sensible, too - they're pretty cheap.

Unless you're planning to seriously modify your car, that's about all you would want to do power-wise.

If I were starting my Impreza-modding all over again, I wouldn't do the 'go-faster' things first. I would invest in the brakes and suspension first. It will improve the handling, feel and roadholding - making a better platform for those performance goodies.

Enjoy!
Old 30 December 2003, 08:10 AM
madbiker
Scooby Newbie

Cheers fatman is it easy to get hold of the software for a reprogrammed ECU as i can reprogram it myself
Old 30 December 2003, 09:26 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

If you want to try and map the car yourself, then the ECUtek themselves supply the software. However, most people don't have the expert knowledge to enable them to make proper use of it. Therefore they hire someone to map the car for them (list of mapping outlets here).
Old 30 December 2003, 09:10 PM
madbiker
Scooby Newbie

The problem is that next to the Fiat coupe the subaru feels flat, you don't get that kick up the **** that i've been used to. I know you loose some BHP through the 4wd but i like the bansai power delivery and if i can get the response with 4wd it would be awesome! I will do the exhaust( including manifold) and induction kit first but i feel more will be added as soon as the warranty runs out. Do yopu know how much power the standard engine can take without exploding!!?
Old 30 December 2003, 11:03 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

The flatness comes from the 3 cats - utterly kills the poor thing! Californian emissions rules to blame there, I think...
Anyway... remove the 3 cats (up-pipe, downpipe & centre) with some system or other (gadgets then need to be fitted to make the ECU happy - the exhaust supplier should know what's needed ); this has been known to make the boost go a bit odd, so it's a good idea to put in a boost controller as well - cheapest (& still extremely effective - it can also be used as a 'pressure release valve' to cure overboost problems while still retaining the standard ECU control, although you may want to use the Dawes to raise the boost limit anyway). That should get you a fair bit more power for starters. You'd probably also want a knock guage (eg KnockLink) to keep an eye on things. Necessary, really, when you up the boost...
The 'classic' type cars appear reliable up to at least 400bhp if mapped well (with no internal work). Significantly more may also be possible, although I'm unconvinced that these could yet be called definately reliable (in my eyes, a few of similar spec need to be run reliably for a year or so or 40k+ to earn the 'reliable' status ). In most areas, the post-classics are similar, so should be capable of the same, they just haven't had the time to 'mature' yet .
Replacing the fuel pump is a good idea, along with the regulator & the injectors if over ~350bhp is required. Above 300 the turbo needs replacing really, and a front-mounted intercooler is a good idea .
Induction kist do very little until 320 or so, and even then the improvements are minimal until, I'd say, around 380.
BTW, the EcuTek programming system I believe is only open to people they deem to be 'professional distributors' or whatever - the software isn't open to the public at large for some reason. There are, however, many very capable & proven replacement ECUs out there that can do the job either almost as well (enter the PossumLink - very reliable, just not very clever in terms of closed-loop fuelling, idle & boost control isn't exactly great, but it is fantastic value & most who have one are very happy, me included ), to the Gems, Motec & frighteningly expensive & very accomplished Pectel.
That's all that springs to mind for starters
Old 31 December 2003, 08:52 AM
madbiker
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thats it ,are you sure there is nothing else, i mean i've just remorgaged my house to pay for the mods you've listed i might as well remorgage nextdoors as well!!

Thanks nom
Old 31 December 2003, 09:43 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Exhaust & Dawes should get you well on the way - ignore the rest until later.
So you might get away with just mortgaging the wife/kids, etc?