Notices

Do dump valves cause engine damage?

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2003, 04:49 PM
cmdcorrola
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am really interested in putting a dump valve om my MY2000 Classic. I think they sound grrreat.

The problem is that I have read on here that they can cause problems with the engine. I understand that each time it dumps, the air which would originally go into the engine, vents to the atmosphere, causing the noise, but resulting in an over rich mixture entering the engine.

What I want to know is what damage this can do and if anyone has first hand knowledge of engine damage directly related to the fitment of a dump valve.

Any info in much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 16 December 2003, 05:09 PM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

Wink

im also toying with the idea of a dv..the only obviouse negative affect could be that u get piston cylinder
wash from unburnt petrol washing the protective film of oil from the cylinder wall.....running a dv guives u lots more pops and bangs from the zorst aparently..which sugests exess fuel being pumped in when u let off the gas....ythis is what ive heard anyway.as 2 how much[if] the exess fuel washes the piston wall i duno perhaps som1 knows?
Old 16 December 2003, 06:19 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

You already have a dump valve.
If you replace your recirculating one with a vent-to-atmosphere one, there can be minor fuelling issues on lift-off, but I wouldn't get too excited about it - IMHO, the ECU in its standard setup is far more likely to do damage with the vast quantity of fuel it dumps in on WOT!
Recirculating ones can cause their own problems, such as potentially firing air laden with oil fumes into the cylinder, dramatically reducing effective octane rating.
So, in balance, I wouldn't get too excited about the possible damage that a VTA might have
Old 16 December 2003, 10:29 PM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

Talking

good point nom what u say sounds reasonable.