Notices

Mild Det or Engine Noise ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2003, 11:25 AM
MarkT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Car spec - MY98 + exhaust, headers, intake, fully samcod, uprated fuel pump.
just fitted a VF35 in place of the TD04 (I have a KL, Llamda link, boost guage, dawes set at about 1.1 ,1.2 bar - all fine, except from 5000 to red line I get 2 flashing greens on the KL where all was quiet before.
Llamda link reads rich on wot all the way.
If I set the Dawes a bit higher I get some proper KL spikes after a caning (guess it all gets a bit hot) so I am thinking that the greens are engine noise & the VF35 creates more noise than the TD04 - so all's well.
Any thoughts - is it meltdown central some time soon ?
No idea what bhp it is but around the 300 mark seems likely.
Should probably get it properly checked with det cans etc but there's nowhere local.
(Goes like stink btw).
Mark.
Old 03 December 2003, 11:52 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

My guess would be that the charge is significantly more dense with the new turbo, so more fuel needs to be added to compensate. What you'll be seeing is probably just engine noise (the two greens) but a sparkly sort of noise (heading toward det) but is rather hard to say without hearing the engine! Also depends rather on how the KL is set up - how sensitive it is, etc.
I think, with that little set of mods, it might be sensible to sort out some sort of remap...
Old 03 December 2003, 12:17 PM
MarkT
Scooby Regular

Thanks - that's pretty much what I thought. KL is set at max sensitivity but never flickered before.
Remap - yes I know that would top it off but power engineering is the other side of the planet & a link is on the wish list next year maybe (after the FMIC, gearbox, clutch etc - lol)
I'm working on the theory that the std ecu (oops fergot it's actually a PPP ecu) works ok up to a point - which I'm probably not far off !
Mark.