Notices

Moving house soon & car wont start? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2003, 10:18 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive been thinking of removing the alarm, not fully. Ive had a look previously under the dash & followed the wires to ignition switch & alarm. I can see were the cuts have been made & joined to specific wires. I have considered labelling the wire & reconnect them to their original places but still waiting for more info & ecu test before I attack them wires.

[Edited by ticky - 12/1/2003 10:20:17 PM]
Old 01 December 2003, 09:53 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

In a few weeks I will be moving house & my car wont start please help.
Symptoms over the last week before it completely stopped- after disarming the car, ignition turned to the on position, all dash warning lamps light up as usual, turn key to start, & hey presto – its starts. But then sometimes it won’t start. (Does not turn over)
All the electrical items such as lights, radio, heater fan etc work fine when ign is turned to the on position, so I presume the alarm has disarmed because if the key is turned to the on position nothing will work (no lights /radio) without disarming/de-immobilising.
Now I checked the starter & solenoid by using a direct supply from the battery with some wire to the solenoid, starter turned over, so they are both working. However the wire that is connected to the solenoid has no voltage? Bulb test & ignition switch turned to start position. Found one Fault
Some one else point out it could be the ignition switch, possibility. But then my lights/radio & dash warning lamps come on (ign turned to on pos) could be that it’s only faulty when at start position. So why doesn’t the car start then when ign switch is turned to on pos & direct supply used to power starter/solenoid from battery – engine turning over but will not fire up.
This only leaves me to think it’s either the following things: ignition relay, Ecu, short circuit/ damaged wiring & possibly the alarm, main fuse box engine bay relays – which one? If we were to take the alarm out of the equation what else could it be. Have I missed anything?
Checks that ive already done – earths all ok (plus already got earth mod done)
Fuses all checked twice. Battery checked & tried fully charged battery. Checked that all plugs fitted correctly to ecu. Checked all multi type connectors/loom fitted. The only recent changes to my car was new gearbox & scuba remapped ecu.
Thank you Ticky
Old 01 December 2003, 10:09 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Me mate had a similar problem with a cossie, eventually traced it to the immobiliser. Found that it wasn't applying 12vdc to the solenoid on the starter motor.
Old 02 December 2003, 12:45 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If its not too hard to join the wires back to the origonal positions, then it would be worth doing to rule the alarm/immob out of the equation-(it does sound like its a classic immobiliser fault though)Ive had the same probs on 2 cars-on the second car, the immobiliser was the first thing i looked at, and hey presto--it was the fault(quite worrying that it only took me 15 mins to get the car going whilst kneeling in 6inches of snow!!-it was a Vauxhall though)
Old 02 December 2003, 07:36 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Ive disconnected the alarm & re-joined the original ignition switch wires together, dont want to go to much into detail about the alarm wires etc but im sure ive done it right.
Now turn ign switch to the on position & the warning lamps on dash light up, all eletrics items are working fine (lights, radio etc) but when turning to start position nothing (does not turn over). Have done the same check as before for voltage/current at starter soleniod & theres no voltage? Tried to supply direct power to starter soleniod from battery with ign turned to on pos, the engine turned over but did not start.
So the alarm has been ruled out but still got the same problem. What else could it be.
Old 03 December 2003, 01:25 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

Forgive me if this sounds stupid. Do you have a factory fitted immobilser? Are you waiting more than 30 seconds before trying to start the car as the immobiliser is self re-arming??
Old 03 December 2003, 06:15 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

My car is 95sti II, i dont think it came with a factory fitted immobiliser. The alarm which is fitted has a built in immobiliser. But now that ive disconnected the alarm i cant see how it would still immobilise as my dash warning lamps light up when ign turned to on position, this would never happen if the alarm was armed or in immobiliser mode.

Trending Topics

Old 03 December 2003, 07:16 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Good point about the factory immob-do your keys have transponders in them-if so,try using your spare key to start it.
Old 04 December 2003, 09:47 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Tried the spare key today made no difference.
Old 06 December 2003, 02:33 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

What else could I test, times running out.
Old 06 December 2003, 02:34 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Relays.
Old 15 December 2003, 05:07 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Smile

Whilst clearing out my shed found my spare scooby bits, one ignition switch. So had another try at the car today. Fitted the switch, turned the key & hey presto it started. Now got to sort the alarm.
Old 15 December 2003, 09:25 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

good news mate