Notices

Is this supposed to happen?

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2003, 03:51 PM
GuyM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First thing in a morning I dont take my 97 Jap WRX above 2000 rpm until the engine is at working temperature.
Now I would have thought that if you want heat to the cabin, you should get it now that everything is hot. Fact is that no warm air will come through until Ive gone up to 3500 revs, even 20 minutes into my journey (around streets, past schools, through lights). Its as if the warm air needs a push though by accelerating.
And, while sitting at lights, the warm air will dissappear until Im accelerating again? Is this right?

Ive checked water levels in the radiator, seems fine! Im sure it wasnt like this last winter!
Old 24 November 2003, 05:50 PM
6 pot
Scooby Regular

pay the Gas bill and the heating will work!
Old 24 November 2003, 06:21 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

No,as far as i know,this is not suposed to happen.In my MY98 Sti import i get warm air when the cars at stand still or moving...
Have you tried turning up the heater fan? it should be blowing warm air if not then the heater system may need fixing

All the best

Franko
Old 24 November 2003, 06:39 PM
GuyM
Scooby Regular

Must be the heater system!
The fan blows like **** but its cold air thats coming out.

Baztard!
Old 24 November 2003, 07:12 PM
Mr Slim
Scooby Regular

Had this problem on a laguna once, it was an air lock in the pipe work that carries the hot water too the heater. There was a bleed valve on the lagunas pipe work, but not sure how it works on a Scooby, but might be worth a look.

See ya Paul.
Old 24 November 2003, 07:27 PM
GuyM
Scooby Regular

Cheers Paul.
Can anyone elaborate on this. That did cross my mind, does anyone know where the bleed valve is.

How about draining the whole system. New Anti-freeze wouldnt harm anyway. Is this procedure easy? Never done it before. Would greatly appreciate anyones advice on this and how to do it.

May youre beard grow ever longer

Guy
Old 24 November 2003, 09:45 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

I dont think there is a bleed valve , I disconnected the heater pipes under the intercooler and using the hose pipe flushed the matrix out.Then I reconnected the pipes and started the car with the pressure cap off. Keep squeezing the radiator pipes and the water level will drop , top up as nessesary. Then replace the cap and let the car warm up , see if the heaters working.

Steve

Trending Topics

Old 24 November 2003, 09:45 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure you checked the water level correctly? not taking the pee.. they seem to bleed themselves the scoob..
But if water is low it will empty the highest point in the system which is the heater matrix until you accelerate hard and the water is then forcing it's way round the system. This is due to the water pump speeding up with engine rpm.

There is an expansion tank behind right hand headlight (and very often empty which is normal) but header tank is on top of the engine on the left hand side..

I suspect you have a water leak somewhere and are losing water or it has not been topped up after being drained at a service properly.

Definitly not right any way. Get it checked else you might over heat or hot spot the engine if it is low on water.

JGM
Old 25 November 2003, 01:36 AM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

had the exact same symptoms on the wifes rover. couldnt trace the fault until a few weeks later when the cylinder head gasket had gone. became obvious there was a hole small enough only to let steam out so temp needle would constantly go between hot and cold....
Old 25 November 2003, 02:54 AM
Omen1
Scooby Regular

it could be your recycle swith
Old 25 November 2003, 07:13 AM
GuyM
Scooby Regular

Cheers everyone.
Hope its not cylinder head gasket. Ill top up the header tank today and keep an eye on it.