Notices

Good old slapping!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2003, 07:03 PM
Gonza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 94 UK, have been doing some research for good couple of days now, seems I have the notorious piston slap. Although I've been trying to find out, my results have been somewhat inconclusive. Is there anybody out there who knows what can be done, or how to prevent it?? Further to this, what would the average garage charge to fix the problem??

Many thanks for any thoughts
Old 14 November 2003, 09:36 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

A lot of people on here have cars with piston slap.

I am not sure what a garage would charge to sort it out for you, but it is sure to be big bucks

Most of the time the slap stops when the engine warms up.
Just dont boot it until it is properly warmed through and you should be fine.
Old 17 November 2003, 01:47 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

mine does it

i've been told by lots of garages who i trust that it is best left alone and you will easily see another 50,000 miles from a slapping engine

from my understanding cosworth racing pistons do it from new anyway, as do TVR's

you can have it fixed with an oversized piston which is cheaper than the full re bore etc but it still is not really worth doing

i personally let my car idle on the drive for 10 or so mins in the morning and then dont take it over 3000rpm until the oil temp hits 80 degrees at least, i also change the oil every 3000 miles or 3 months but this is due to my own preference not any reckomendation that it will improve the life of the engine

just enjoy the car and try not to listen to too much scare mongering as otherwise you will never sleep again worrying about all the bad things happening to scoobies
Old 17 November 2003, 05:47 PM
Gonza
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for your responses guys. I'm glad to hear that it is not the end of the road for the car, just nice to know if you see what I mean. I have to admit, I love the car and it has never done me wrong (touch wood!!!), but all these things you hear does get you worried sometimes, I guess its like all cars though, not many out there are perfect, especially if they're powerful.

Once again, cheers for the replys!!!
Old 17 November 2003, 06:42 PM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

Cool

mines got the slap and a realy loud hydrolic tappet[also a common problem]both go away when warm so nothing 2 worry 2 much about.at cold though its horrific noise:}