starting trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2003, 08:20 AM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi all,

ive been recently having trouble starting my scoob.

two weeks ago i was picking someone up from my local tesco, i pulled up in a space and sat waiting with the engine running for a few minutes. then i decided i would just nip in and get some cigs. Turned car off and went into shop. when i returned i had trouble starting the car ( first engine problem after nearly two years of ownership )

got in and turned on the ignition. the car wouldnt fire and just kept turning over, after about the 3rd attempt it started but was in very low idle (200rpm ish) until i gave it a bit of throttle.

was a bit worried but thought there was nothing i could do about it.

then this morning i called into a garage to get a paper, returned to the car and the same thing only it started first time with low idle and 'check engine' was on. so for some reason i turned it off again, and then tried again, took about four attempts, but then fired up and ran low until i gave it a bit of throttle...

car runs fine other than this... has anyone got any suggestions

when it's turning over it sounds fine and turns at a healthy speed.

this morning i think it smelt a bit of unburnt petrol after it fired up, but that could have been the fact that i was at a petrol station.

can any body help?

car is my93 1.6 impreza sport

thanks all,

D6
Old 11 November 2003, 08:30 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Could be a couple of things. Firstly, idle control valve, the other being coolant temperature sensor.
Old 11 November 2003, 09:55 AM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

i thought it could be the idle control, why would it be the coolant temp sensor?

Old 11 November 2003, 04:34 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crank position sensor.. remove it and clean it..
Presuming the 1.6 has the same layout it will be on the front of the engine amoungst the pulleys belts, with a 10mm bolt head and two or three wires coming out..
the Cam position sensor is identical to look at only below the oil filler cap.. on the block.. it is the cam sensor that tells the ecu when you inject fuel.. clean both the cam and crank and see if it goes away for a bit.. they are magnetic and slowly get weaker and so the dirt that builds up on them eventually has an effect.

But worth checking to see if there is any check engine light history error codes logged.. maybe the same on 1.6 as the turbo but not sure.. do a search on Error codes.. or take it to a dealer so they can plug a select monitor into it.

Coolant sensor when it goes faulty increases mixture like when cold, and puts the fans on all the time.. as it is not sure whether the engine is hot or cold..

JGM
Old 12 November 2003, 11:49 AM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

cheers JGM!
Old 12 November 2003, 01:43 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

No worries, I hope it solves your problem

JGM
Old 20 November 2003, 09:08 AM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi again all...

right firstly my problem has developed...and I haven’t had chance to do anything, but plan to this weekend…

starting the car now is fine. but it's running strangely and getting worse by the day.

Basically the key points are...

the idle is up and down - when sat ticking over, the idle speed is going from about 600 rpm ( this is normal for mine - it's always idled there ) then changing and idling at about 1200 rpm ( or somewhere in between )

also the other day after leaving a mates house i got in the car about 11.00pm after leaving it for three hours. Turned on the ignition and the fan came on, stayed on for about 10 seconds or so then went off. Started the car everything was fine.

That’s over the past few days, but today and yesterday it has now started to idle at 1000 rpm constantly,

Not such a bad thing….im getting a constant burble/popping noise out of the exhaust when I let off !

Anyway!

I realise this is now looking 99% certain to be the cooling temp sensor. So I have some questions relating to this.

- where is it located?
- How many are there?
- How much do they cost?
- Is it a standard item across the impreza range ?? I ask this because my car is an import and my local Subaru place are never that helpful.

Oh, and how easy is it to change?? I’m guessing it’s a piece of P, but I just want to be sure…

Cheers in advance,

D6

Trending Topics

Old 20 November 2003, 12:39 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Now sounds like the coolant temp sensor..

The ecu is not sure if the car is hot or cold so it is hedging it's bets and putting the fans on in case the engine is hot and adding more fuel in case the engine is cold.

Check you have enough coolant in the car as it might just be low and you have an air pocket.. but most lightly the engine coolant sensor

JGM
Old 21 November 2003, 08:05 AM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

Question

does anyone know where the sensor is located?