Notices

Noisey Tappets

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2001, 09:28 PM
Paul Michael Davis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody know of a fix for noisey hydrolic tappets? The engine oil is new, the noise is intermitant hot or cold, the car(92 Legacy turbo) has done 78K, Please help
Old 07 September 2001, 11:03 PM
LEN CARLYON
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

HI
this seems to be a common fault, I used to work (4months ago)for a sub main-dealer & they do tend to rattle. mileage doesn't need to be high but doesn't help, you could try a decent engine flush like forte, but the end cure is normally to replace the hydro tappets sorry not that cheap. try to establish from which side the noise is coming from,to just hopefully do one bank(side).www.subaru4you.co.uk.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Paul Michael Davis:
<B>Does anybody know of a fix for noisey hydrolic tappets? The engine oil is new, the noise is intermitant hot or cold, the car(92 Legacy turbo) has done 78K, Please help[/quote]

Old 07 September 2001, 11:28 PM
Paul Michael Davis
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advise Len, sadly the noise is from both banks,however ill buy the engine flush (Halfords?) and keep my fingers crossed. Will any engine damage occur if this does'nt work?
Old 08 September 2001, 08:15 AM
Luke
BANNED

Paul ,I have same engine. Changing oil seems to do the trick. most of us change it every 3k miles. I took my car to Steve lawson. If you havent heard of him ,he is very well rated on this BBS. he tells me not even Subaru could solve this problem. Its the way they made them. he used a full synthetic Silkoline oil and my engine has never felt so good.

be lucky.

Luke
Old 08 September 2001, 06:33 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

it is down to the fact tht the tappits sit in a sleeve in the head and the sleeve moves. subaru did bring out modified heads but they still went the same way.