Notices

Do STI's use oil? (newbie question)

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2001, 12:04 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One litre of oil doesnt seem that excessive, start to worry when it gets to 1 ltr every 1k thou!
Dont own an sti, i have a uk turbo, MY00, its never burnt any oil thou (14k miles), but if you worried about it, take it to somewhere like scoobysport and get her checked out

Tony
Old 12 July 2001, 12:10 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Let the car stand overnight on a level surface, and try taking the measurement again. You may find the 'missing' oil there again!

It should be between the max and min. It's a whole other bag of issues if there is too much oil in the engine!!
Old 12 July 2001, 12:27 AM
rj
Scooby Newbie

>Let the car stand overnight on a level surface, and try taking the measurement again. You may find the 'missing' oil there again!

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that the oil has left the engine. The real question is, does it usually leave STI engines at this rate or
not.

I have to say that the car runs fine, or should I say, it goes like a bleedin' missile. If that means that it uses a drop of oil then fine. However, if it's about to loose the rest of the oil, along with some pistons and other useful parts of the engine, then that would more of a problem.
Old 12 July 2001, 11:59 AM
rj
Scooby Newbie

Question

Having just bought a 99 STI Type V and
done about 4000 miles, I am surprised
that it seems to have drunk more than a
litre of oil.

I have heard that some performance engines
are set up to use a little oil. Is this
the case with the STI or have I bought a dud?
Old 12 July 2001, 01:07 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

went through the same concerns recently with my ITR - though mainly cause I was track day'ing it and so was very worried that i'd lunched the engine.

What I'd recommend is that first you want to get a true idea of what its using rather than a feeling that its using roughly some amount - so choose a time (either let the car stand overnight as suggested above, or my thing was to run the engine 2 mins, then let it cool 2 mins), then fill the oil to the top mark. Keep checking until the midway point is reached at which time refill up to the top (make sure your checking the same way as before), and voila, a good idea of what you're really using.

Next up - 1 litre in 4K, sounds ok to me if you're pushing on. If its getting worse and worse, if there's smoke from the back, an oil leak from beneath or you pootle around at <2000 rpm everywhere, then yep you have a problem.

On the otherhand if you're trackday'ing 1 litre to 1000 mile could well be on the cards (i get 500 miles to a litre when tracking the honda which is the norm for the 1.8 vtec).

The horrible thing is its hard to convince yourself that its really all ok (i know how you feel....)

jon
Old 13 July 2001, 03:19 PM
rj
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice chaps.
I spoke to someone at Power Engineering in Uxbridge and they said it's not unusual for the engines to use some oil, so I am not so concerned now.

I'm going to take it over there for a power test on the dyno.

I think I'll take your advice jon about taking a more scientific approach to monitoring the oil use.

I've just had a race engine put in my bike and that one uses oil too. Maybe Halfords will give me a discount for bulk :-).
Old 13 July 2001, 03:21 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

what bike have you got >

if its an rs250 you may find it using a _lot_ of oil

Old 13 July 2001, 07:06 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

RJ,
Some longer standing members of this bbs may say, as you are a newbie do a search! But others might try to offer you good sound advice they have gained from their own experience with an Impreza!!! and from past posts on this board!!!

The first thing to do would be to check that you are consistently getting an accurate reading of the oil in your sump, and the best way to do this, I would of thought would be to check when and how you are checking the dipstick?

To dismiss the advice they offer, no matter how obvious it seems the advice given is, when it is yourself seeking advice from someone more knowledgeable, is putting it bluntly rude. I am not having a dig just saying how it looks! For all I know this is not your first Impreza and so you know what you are doing when dipping your stick! lol

However if you are new to Scooby ownership then stating what you conceived to be the obvious might not be such bad advice!!! Please just think before dismissing advice others offer as it may lead to them not posting at all in the future and it would be a shame to lose their input and experience!!! from this bbs!!!

I will try to repeat some of what others far more knowledgeable than myself have said regarding this subject at the risk of being flippantly dismissed as well. I hope I don't get this wrong now! lol

I shall try and summarise if you will allow me to be so self indulgent?
The Subaru flat four engine as fitted to the Impreza range can be very deceptive! in the reading you obtain from the dipstick.

IIRC the best way to check your oil is to let it stand over night and then the next morning to run the engine for 2 mins then switch off and wait 2 minutes before taking a reading with the dipstick, also make sure that the dipstick is the right way up (oilcan symbol on the yellow handle) and seated correctly.

I do not know if the following is correct just passing on something I heard.
That on older engines which had been previously run on mineral oil and then switched to a fully synthetic would then start to consume oil. The reason given for this was that, the new fully synthetic oil cleaned out the built up deposits and so now, there was an increased likelihood of oil being consumed by the engine as the worn seals and rings no longer had a build up of carbon etc.

What mileage had your car done previous to you purchasing it?
Was it always filled with Mineral up until you took it on?

I am not saying this is what is happening in your case with regards to oil consumption, just that if you dont look at all possibilitys it may take longer to find out what is going on. Alternatively you could just do a search! lol

regards Ian
Old 14 July 2001, 03:46 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Ive got a 1996 STi and i probably put between half a litre to a litre in between every oil change (4000) intervals,this is normal dont worry unless you start using more!!

Darren