Notices

Bad starting

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2001, 11:24 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now had this problem on 3 seperate occasions over the last 2 months (service 2 months ago).

The car (scoob, my98uk) always starts first time, but these 3 times (today, 2 1/2 weeks ago and 6 weeks ago approx) it would not start straight away.... taking 20 to 30 seconds of key turning to get it to fire.

Always car was used about 3 to 4 hours before (but today was 8 hours), first 2 times I may not have let it cool enough, but today I definately did (2 mins after I stopped, before I turned it off).

Anyone know what the problem could be, or if they have a similar problem??

At the moment I am not worried about it, only a very slight inconvenience, but I hope it will not get worse/ be a regular occurence.
Old 09 April 2001, 08:43 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Nobody else have this problem then??
Old 09 April 2001, 08:57 PM
t*mac
Scooby Regular

i'm not finding this a very helpful forum either steve but anyhow.....
are you sure you're giving the pump enough time to pressurise the system before cranking it over? i mean 1/4 turn-click- pump runs -click pump stops, then start the car.....only a thought i know that if i don't do this it sometimes takes a while to fire....
now....any chance you could help me with my question??? thanks
seems were the only two that looks at this !
Old 09 April 2001, 09:10 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had a similar problem in the cold weather. Since swapping to super unleaded I ahve not had a repeat - coincidence?
Old 09 April 2001, 10:30 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem once which was diagnosed as the cam angle sensor.

get to your local dealer and get them to do a diagnostic with the select monitor. Takes 5 minutes if that to see if anything has registered a fault.
Old 10 April 2001, 08:38 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've had this only once. There was a few threads about this (I think in Drivetrain) either at the start of the year of late last year.

Try and search - you should find it....

Matt
Old 10 April 2001, 11:28 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Steve Williams,

Had you washed the car the day before the problem started?? The reason I ask is that I have exactly the same problem with mine (MY00 UK). If I have used the Jet washer on it the day before the car will start fine the next morning but when I go out at lunchtime the car has to be cranked over for a while before it will fire.

The best suggestion is when you start the car first turn the key until the ignition lights go on and wait until you hear a click from under the dashboard (takes a few seconds) This is the fuel pump pressurising the fuel system and it should be much easier to start after this.
Old 10 April 2001, 01:02 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

SW,

I had serious problems with my UK94 a couple of months ago, it would start fine first thing ~ but if you went back out to start again a couple of hours later you could turn the key all you wanted...eventually it fired...but it was eventually.

Turned out to be the crank sensor. Replaced by Subaru. No further problems.

Mark.
Old 10 April 2001, 03:30 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Haven't experienced any problems with mine so far. I do always turn the key a quarter, wait then start the car - seems to be OK.

T*mac - re your other thread - getting the correct answer to your question in just over two hours of posting on a public BBS where no one is required to answer ain't bad

Chris
Old 12 April 2001, 02:41 PM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem on my96 - I use Remote Engine Start (Add on to Clifford Alarm) it automatically turns 1/4 click for one second then cranks for 1 second, if fails waits about five seconds then retries. 95% of the time it starts first time, but every now and again it fails to start the car & gives up after 3 tries. When I then get into the car and start it manually have to either crank for very long time (4 secs - not good) or give it a bit of throttle (which I know you're not supposed to do). I would very interested to hear what the problem is finally diagnosed as?