Notices

Running in

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2001, 05:57 PM
Scooby-dude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm about to demonstrate my lack of technical knowledge, SO STAND BACK!!

When running in, why should one avoid constant speeds, fast or slow, for a considerable amount of time? And WTF is a considerable amount of time?

If you can't accelerate quickly, stop abruptly or drive at the same speed just what the hell can you do!!

I take delivery of my first ever brand new car (say aaww) which will also be my first Scooby, at the end of May so I'm getting ready now.

Thanks,
Scooby-dude
Old 12 April 2001, 12:22 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Just to put a different perspective:

I was told by the service manager that my MY01 WRX is ok to boot from the off. The oil they use is normal stuff and its older cars that had different oil pre-1000 miles.

He assured me it'd be ok to go for it from 00000 - but advised that at the same time he would take it easy himself anywhay just incase!! He said to avoid redlining it and prolonged full boost accelaration is best. But the 4000 rev limit is not neccessary for the MY01!!!

If he lied im gonna sue!!!!

Jza
Old 12 April 2001, 04:39 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Hi Dood. What comes out of the factory is a whole bunch of components manufactured to a +/- tolerence. Some bits will be tight, they expand with heat, and get even tighter. They need to get to know eachother gradually, and work together well at all speeds, temperatures and loads.

Subaru take running-in seriously, which is why new cars come filled with light running-in oil which speeds up the process (but doesn't give full protection) and needs changing at 1,000 miles.

Ideally, running-in should expose the engine (and other components) to the full range of driving circumstances, but starting gently and building up the LOAD gradually. It's more important to be gentle with the throttle pedal than stick strictly to low rpm. Running downhill at higher revs but small throttle is much better than flooring it uphill but at only 2,000 rpm.

If you do all your running in at a steady motorway cruise, your engine will not be properly bedded for regular all-round driving. You might well have clocked 1,000 miles, but if you then floor it to the red-line your engine will be experiencing new and massively more testing circumstances. The result is likely to be excessive wear of some components, from which the engine will never recover.

With a new motor, try to stay away from long motorway hauls. And if you're stuck with one, change down a few times, accellerate a bit, and try to give your car more variety than a steady 69.9mph.

Richard.
Old 12 April 2001, 08:32 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've been told that running at the same speed/revs for a long time will "glaze the bores". I've also been told that the gearbox needs some good miles under it's belt before it has to deal with the the stresses that "proper" driving has on it....

Matt
Old 12 April 2001, 09:04 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Do NOT labour the engine either! when driving around, keep it above 2000 revs (unless stopping )
Old 12 April 2001, 09:12 AM
DarrenC
Scooby Regular

Hi Dude,

Not sure exactly, however a motor mechanic friend did say something about the bores glazing, if the car is only run in (upto 1000 miles) only on the motorway.
Now to the good stuff, like you I picked up my very first brand new car about a week ago, and yes it was a UK Scooby WRX.
I am sure you will love the car.
Stay in touch & Happy motoring.
Darren