Notices

Downpipe advice

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2003, 10:18 AM
screamer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What's the best decat d/p for my MY00? I already have a H&S BB so I thought I'd keep the same manufacturer for the entire system. Is this sound thinking?

I've seen a few posts about open & closed neck d/p's. Is there any difference.

Is this a mod worth doing? I've recently had a Dawes fitted and was told the next thing to change would be the d/p. Apparently you can still pass the MOT if you change the centre back to one with a CAT in as long as you get it warm. Can anyone confirm this?

I've heard some people don't like the strange noises the turbo makes and some even say it sounds tinny. Is this true?

Any comments appreciated.
Old 29 October 2003, 01:09 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ok.. here goes.

Have an MY99 and after the backbox I bought a magnex twin downpipe and it sounds brilliant. Spool up is slightly quicker and although you can certainly hear the turbo spool up, personally I think it sounds great.

If you leave the centre section in place and just ensure your car is very warm when just prior to testing, then it should pass if the car is running ok.

You will notice a huge difference and would totally recommend doing it ASAP especially as you already have a Dawes device on your car.

Cheers
Si

Old 29 October 2003, 01:15 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Buy a Scoobysport (my choice) open neck D/P and lag it with wrap that you can find cheap at Rallydesign thus the noise inside will be much reduced.
Scoobysport was H&S main dealer and their D/P is the same with H&S but Janspeed made.
JIM
Old 29 October 2003, 01:36 PM
screamer
Scooby Regular

Wrapping the d/p sounds like a good idea, especially as I already have some exhaust wrap lying around in my garage.

Is fitting straight forward? What about the O2 and lamda sensors? Don't they live in the downpipe?

Is their another kind of d/p apart from open neck? (Whatever that means).
Old 29 October 2003, 01:55 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

You can just wrap around the bosses for any gas sensors you have in the downpipe.

The 'other' type of downpipe is the twin-dump. Like this one by BPM, for example (lots of pics on that page, including close-ups). The idea is that the gas flows from the main turbo exhaust and the wastegate follow different paths and don't interfere.
Old 29 October 2003, 02:52 PM
screamer
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the Twin dump link. It's now all very clear now (not).

I'm still a little confused... If you tape up the probes that live in the dp will the car still run correctly.
Old 29 October 2003, 03:15 PM
Mal26
Scooby Regular

Get the H+s one.
Just fitted mine to HKS superdrager and brilliant.

I would lag it also.

Mine isn't and soon after fitting, speedo cable broke - probably overheeated or coincidence.
Old 29 October 2003, 03:29 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

On a MY00 the only sensor in the DP is the Lambda sensor, any quality decat downpipe (e.g. H&S) with have the correct boss ready fitted in the right place so you can just swap the sensor over.

Be warned though, sometimes the sensor threads strip when you remove them (or more accurately they were stripped when installed at the factory!).

Andrew...
Old 29 October 2003, 03:36 PM
screamer
Scooby Regular

That's it I'm convinced. I'm gonna get one.

Any difference between H&S and Scoobysport? Isn't Scoobysport selling Janspeed now? Do they sound any different