Notices

Rattle in the rear.

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2000, 11:17 AM
Boost
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

MY00 has just developed a rattle from the nearside parcel shelf/plastic side-pannel area. I have not managed to located it exactly but it is very loud.

Is this one with a known fix???

Stangely it seems to have started after I have carried rear passengers for the first time but I'm sure that's a coincidence.

I would be very greatful of any suggestions
Old 19 December 2000, 01:26 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Sure it isn't the old prankster trick of hiding a marble in the back where it can roll around and you can't find it???
Old 19 December 2000, 09:41 PM
Boost
Scooby Regular

Wink

Only a complete Muppet would do that
Old 29 December 2000, 12:54 AM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

Did you find the cause of this? My 5dr MY00 sounds like it's got the same thing.
Old 29 December 2000, 03:29 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

Question

can you pull the panel off and inspect it??

is it a constant rattle?

or does it occur only on cornering... or bumps... etc?

Old 29 December 2000, 11:08 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Talking

This is spooky! I just noticed this myself tonight whilst driving home in icy conditions at 20mph in 4th gear. I could hear every squeek and rattle due to no wind noise...so that's why they make so much noise normally, it's to hide the rattles
Old 30 December 2000, 12:12 PM
GrahamF
Scooby Regular

How about a loose jack? Or alternatively there's an exhaust mounting under there that sort of clatters gently to itself if loose.
Old 30 December 2000, 02:02 PM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Not sure why but I think it is cold related as there is a very annoying squeak/rattle from the area you are describing. It only started when in the past couple of days. I put it down to the cold weather. Don't know why but there we go!
Old 31 December 2000, 12:49 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

OK, I've been for a ride in the back of the car and found that my rattle is coming from the top of the long, thin plastic pannel that starts by the shoulder of the seat and tapers down the edge of the doorframe. The whole piece is a bit flimsey and loose but but simply wedging things down the back to hold it tighter does no good. My rattle is a rapid vibration and it continues on virtually any road surface at any speed but it stops if the engine is just idling and the car is stationary. It is loud enough to be heard over the stereo at reasonable volume and certainly over any quiet bits in tunes. This all started before the cold weather. There seems to be a single screw holding the pannel on near the top but accesss is obstructed by the seat. I have tried pulling the seat cussion back and getting a screwdriver in but the screw is very stiff and there is a danger of rounding it off. Looks like the rear seat will need to come out before I can remove the pannel to have a look but I have been away from home from some time so have only been able to poke at it so far.
If these details help anyone fix it then great, if not I'll be taking a look soon as this thing has really started to annoy me and believe me I've had some pretty sqeaky cars before.

Happy new year!!

Just in case you were wondering I had to re-register after I messed up an e-mail address change in my previous profile.
Old 31 December 2000, 10:15 AM
ROB MOONS
Scooby Newbie

Had the same problem myself.It was a build up of ice between the boot lid and the rear screen.I only found it by getting out and pulling the spoiler about.It was a bit embarrising as i had just been saying how rattle free my car was! Hope this sorts it for you
Rob
Old 01 January 2001, 04:25 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Cool

Fixed it!! The aforementioned screw came out easily with a longer screwdriver in good daylight, just had to pull the seat cussion well back. The the pannel needed to be jiggled loose at the top and pulled away from a couple of brass clips further down. I stuck lenghts of carpet tape over the inside of the pannel and replaced it. A 5 minute job.