Notices

A discussion about Octane Booster....

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2000, 08:33 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Whilst at Scoobysport on Saturday I had quite an interesting conversation with Darren Soothill (Hi Darren) about running his car on track days etc, after a while I decided to try Octane booster with 97RON in my version V (as Darren does) to see if there was any notable difference. (I also have broquet fitted)

After filling up and adding a can of Pro Boost (a bit expensive Pete ) Paul reset the ECU for me so the differences would be noticed immediately.

I have now driven through about half a tank of petrol (and I even managed to find a strip of road long and safe enough to keep my foot to the floor from about 2000 revs for 11+ seconds in 4th gear, (WHAT A BUZ! I did it a couple of times) so the ECU had ample chance to do it's sampling of the new knock limit or whatever) and I must say that I am staggered by the effect.

My engine is now much more responsive, smoother and brighter than it has ever been. I have much better low down response and the pickup below 3000 revs is much much better. I think I have also noticed that whilst driving at 80/90 mph, there is less boost on the boost gauge, the gauge used to be about 0 at 90mph, but now seems to be less than this, I'll investigate this further today as I have a long motorway drive.

For those that are considering Broquet I would advise that you consider using Octane booster instead/as well. I have been running Broquet for about 4000 miles and all I noticed was about 1 to 2 mpg increase in feul economy and no definate indication of reduced knock.

I'm not having a go at Broquet, but for the price of this compared with octane booster, Millers Octane NC or C is available from Demon Tweeks for £2.94 a bottle (50 litre treatment) this equates to about £15 per 1000 miles and gives instant improvements, I consider octane booster to be a better alternative to Broquet.

I now feel much easier about driving my car hard and I now feel I am in a position to go on the track and not run any risks of damaging the engine.

If I'm preaching to the converted then never mind, I just thought that there might be some people out there going through the same dilemma as I was regarding det and octane ratings.

Cheers,

Dave

[This message has been edited by david (edited 10-07-2000).]
Old 10 July 2000, 01:43 PM
RobinL
Scooby Newbie

David,

How easy is it to reset the ECU ? I might try this on my STi Type R v4.
Old 12 July 2000, 10:23 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Talking

Robin,

2 minutes work for someone with a 'Select Monitor'.

You plug it in and simply clear the memory of the ECU, no probs.

Give it go, you will see and feel a difference.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 12 July 2000, 05:12 PM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Dave,

Where can I get hold of a brockete (or however you spell it) and how much is it? What does it take to fit, or is it a simple drop into the tank thing?

Cheers

Matt
Old 12 July 2000, 05:40 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

A couple of URL's :
Old 12 July 2000, 07:14 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Matt,

We supply Broquet. This is a one-off and costs £118.46 to Scoobynet members (usually £147.70 but discounted by 20%). Please ring me (or e-mail) for info or to order. Full info with product.

David Tel: 01403 823507