Notices

Oil Catcher?? Oil Contamination TEK3

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2003, 08:29 AM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Where can the above be had from (oil catcher), looked at the usual suspects sites and there don't seem to be any? Car had started lighting the knocklink (full de-cat, TEK3, ITG) - had been fine since February. After a session with the mapper and a new map which leaves me down on torque it turned out that a contributing factor was oil contamination via the IC and associated pipe work reducing the octane value of the fuel. Cleaned out the IC, seemed quite oiled, and an oil catcher was suggested. Hence the question, where can I get one. And if I get one can I fit it myself?

LoFi
Old 19 October 2003, 10:17 AM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Find the heavy breathers and dump them to atmosphere
Old 19 October 2003, 10:22 AM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm thick and it's sunday - care to elaborate?

LoFi
Old 19 October 2003, 10:38 AM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Question

Recently had this problem! The breathers were dumping oil into the induction side, throwing oil through the turbo, the hot oil was then travelling through the front mount and mixing with condensation and then coming out as sludge.

The main culprit was the small pipe that comes from the 2port solonoid! I had a VTA dump valve so that was blanked off already. Then there were 2 more that were quite wet so i've dumped them to atmosphere too. The only one i have kept in is the one that comes off the front of the engine with the flying saucer thing on it

I still have'nt extended the breathers to the floor yet but have have positioned them best i can without spraying oil everywhere

Just remember to make sure you blank off the holes properly, cos you don't want **** thrown through your turbo! it won't last long

Scott
Old 19 October 2003, 10:50 AM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Thanks Scott, not quite reached your level yet . Dunno where my oil is comming from and getting into the top mount IC and I'm no expert on breathers etc. Oil catcher sounded like a nice easy solution, if only I could find one and the price.

LoFi
Old 19 October 2003, 02:18 PM
ScoobyWhite
Scooby Regular

Could you give me "instructions" for that/for I do the same thing???

Anyone have some photos??

Thanks
Regards
Old 19 October 2003, 10:15 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Just for informational value...

there will always be a fraction of the combustion gasses that escape past the piston rings. When they do so, they whip up oil from the cylinder walls and generate an oily mist in the crank case. This escaping of combustion gasses is generally known as blow-by. The amount of blow-by will depend on various factors, but has a strong relationship with the boost pressure; after all if there is more pressure pushing the piston back down the bore then it stands to reason that there will be more gas escaping.

This oil mist isn't particularly environmentally- or nose-friendly, so the stock setup recirculates the mist back to the air intake. It is then drawn back into the cylinders and burnt. Under normal conditions you'de never notice this...

There are however, two side effects. The first is that the oil will reduce the octane rating of the fuel, so it will have a higher propensity to detonate, not because the fuel is any worse, but because the oil has a tendency to autoignite. High performance engines don't recirculate the oil, it's bad news, because the actual octane rating would be unpredictable, even if using a controlled quality fuel (eg Elf TurboMax).

The second side effect is blue smoke at idle after a hard run. A lot of blow-by will result in the intake system getting a light coating of oil. This will slowly make its way through the engine, and will give a visible blue smoke out of the exhaust at idle. Geneally this will clear up in about 15 to 20 minutes, or a gentle drive will clear it out.

The normal way to deal with this problem is to run hoses from the engine breathers to an oil catch tank. This is generally a cylindrical container with a few inlets and an outlet (to allow the blow-by gasses to escape), and filled with a steel wool which helps the oil separate from the gas, so the expelled gas is just combustion gas with no oil content. The tank will generally pick up quite a lot of moisture (one of the combustion byproducts is of course water) and some oil... it will need emptying on occasions. Some tanks do return the oil to the sump, but I prefer to ditch oil that has been blown out of the crank case... any oil that has been traumatised by being blown off the cylinder wall by a jet of gas over 1000 degrees C in temperature won't do a particularly good job of protecting bearings after the experience!

Oil catch tanks are available from various suppliers, but I'de suggest having a look through the Demon Tweaks Motorsport catalogue (the red one, not the "Boy Racer" blue one).

Hope this helps,

Pat.
Old 19 October 2003, 11:07 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pat, very well explained and informative
Old 20 October 2003, 02:46 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Location: I wish we had a non-profit making website to put here.
Talking

You could also try having one made. I paid £100 for a Cusco one and it isn't that great..it only has one inlet hole and one exit hole! I still haven't got around to venting the rocker breathers to it but it will mean the use of some t-shaped adaptors.

By the way Pat...........I still owe you a nifty fifty! I haven't forgotten! Give me a ring next time you are in the area...........I might even get you a pint!
Old 20 October 2003, 07:19 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pat. The car is going well after your attention. I have sent you an email to your @22b address.

Thanks again

LoFi