Boost???

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2003, 11:24 PM
Outcast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,

I finally got me a MY99 wagon today!
And she is a sleeper, I must admit I am impressed with the car throughout, the power is supprising all the way, the turbo seems to be always on song, even in low revs, high speed or any gear.
Nice car...........

Right, unfortunatly I have already experienced my first problem!

On the motorway zooming along nicely, seeing what the capablities are, got past 140 with easy(very supprised/impressed).
But after a few more miles, I had to brake cause some plonk wanted to do an overtake at 60 in MY lane, then after I got past said speeder, I put my foot down and NO BOOST!?????
I was already doing about 80+ and no boost, just n/a acceleration. Did this for another 10 miles of motorway, then I got to my town and was at slower speeds and lower gears and each time I tried to boot it, I get an intial surge(turbo) then it dies(normal n/a power.)
Got home had a good visual under the hood and can't find anything out of the ordinary, idle, revs etc sound normal, temp normal.
I initally thought(first time) that a hose blew off, as on the Supra, they are famous for intercooler hoses popping off at high boost.
But I could not find anything like this!

Anyway, tried her again and now she's boosting from standstill normally, second gear same hard boost all the way till about 6000 rpm then boost seems to disappear, third inital surge for about 2000rpm then goes flat!
Also if doing more than 80mph, no boost at all, just a 1 second surge as you fllor it, then NOUGHT!!!!

The car is bone stock, well serviced, cam belt and service done 4 days ago. No boost gauge to get a reading of what she's doing!
All I've done was fill her up with optimax when I left her last home, the previous owner never used optimax(AFAIK)

And help, ideas, links to help will be most welcomed!

Rgds.
D.
Old 18 October 2003, 04:44 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Is the car a UK car, modded in any way?

Could you be overboosting and hitting the fuel cut?
Old 18 October 2003, 05:15 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

what fuel are you using???
Old 18 October 2003, 11:27 PM
Outcast
Scooby Regular

Thanks, the car is totally stock/standard, UK spec.

It has a fully tank of Optimax now, before I believe it lived on 95RON for most of it's previous life!

Anyway for those that is interested, this morning went out with the car and first gear till 4000 rpm was good strong boost, then after it just got less and then after another 2 miles of under 30mph driving, all boost was gone totally!!!
Drove around for another few miles at various speeds and conditions and still NO TURBO action!

Checked the engine and the wastegate actuator was stuck opened, I manually closed it and went for a blast and was back on boost, but with same problem as before, after 5000rpm, it just dies off!

Bought some engine degreaser and cleaned and blasted the entire engine bay as it looked like it was never done, as I couldn't rumage in the previous state.

Engine cleaned, I had some more playing about, by passed boost solonoid, sensors, hoses and pipping, everything seems to be functioning ok.

I did try something and the car seems to be almost back to normal now.
I will have another session tomorrow with it to confirm my tests!

D.
Old 19 October 2003, 05:15 PM
eddie h
Scooby Regular

Could be the boost solinoid sticking or packing up.

try cleaning it.

Ideally you need a boost guage, you may be going into limp mode, 5psi boost.
Old 19 October 2003, 08:24 PM
Eddoe
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

MY99, sounds like a MAF sensor gone to me, mine went and it was pretty much the same as that!! Get a new one from subaru approx £70, worth a try or if you know someone to borrow theirs to see if its that then that might save you the money??
Old 20 October 2003, 01:08 PM
Outcast
Scooby Regular

I cleaned the boost sensor, no oil or crud really in it.

I am now gonna by pass it and hook up a boost gauge before I go further to make clearly findings.......

Oh, all of a sudden my idle is all over the place. hunts between 0-1000rpm on idle, doesn't shut off though.
Disconnected the TPS and it idles perfect and runs fine, (with still some hesitation as before)

So this may need ajusting or changing...arrhhhhhhhh

I'll keep you posted!

rgds
D
Old 20 October 2003, 05:28 PM
Eddoe
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sounds more and more like a faulty MAF to me, its a very common problem on MY99/00 cars!!!