Notices

Magnex Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 1999, 09:40 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of fitting a magnex exhaust to MY93 WRX. I had one on a previous car (nova) and it improved mid range and sounded superb. Anybody tried one?
Old 09 March 1999, 10:10 AM
spence
Scooby Regular

I've got a Magnex on mine from the Cat back. It was on there when I got it so I don't know how different it is but it sounds nice and looks good. (Oval style.) Saying that I am changing to a full HKS Super Drayger in a week or so... I'm more than happy with the pipe but the HKS goes well with all the other mods I am having done...
Old 09 March 1999, 02:59 PM
elonce
Scooby Newbie

I'm thinking about fitting a Magnex box to my MY97 too, possibly with the High Flow Front Pipe and K&N filter, all to be supplied & fitted by Power+ Engineering. Has anyone any experience of this combination and the service provided?

I had K&N filters fitted to an Alfa Guillietta a few years ago, the noise inside the car was sort of...well...loud.
Old 09 March 1999, 08:34 PM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

I've got a Magnex round tailpipe with a K+N filter element. Serious whooshing (nay screaming) noise in mid to top range when accelerating, pleasant bubble at low revs - was at Donnington on Valentine's Day if you were so you should've/would've heard it there! To be honest I would prefer (from a purely audio point) to have a rumbling noise all the way through the rev range, but the Superchip conversion may have something to do with it - scares the ****e out of people you're passing though!! (Am I allowed to say ****e on the BBS?? Sorry if I'm not!!)
Old 10 March 1999, 09:02 AM
spence
Scooby Regular

With the pipe I also have a HKS sequential dump valve and a 'Super Mega Flow' kit, (what kind of a dumb *** name is that!) and Tourque Developments got 248 on their dyno. 8 up on standard, they ran it standard first and it was doing bang on 240. I wish they would quote the 'at the wheels' figure!!

Magnex is a bit on the load side in the car which can be a pain on long journeys but you get used to it. Dump valve can also be a anoying with the noise but in my opinion makes it a bit easier to drive. SMF, again well noisy but what the hell it's noisy already. Give me a shout if you are in Guildford one week end and you can have a look before making your mind up if you like.
Old 10 March 1999, 05:02 PM
IAN MANN
Scooby Regular

Mark
I've got a Magnex fitted from the cat back, also a Ramair filter. It too makes a wicked screaming noise mid to top range, just like Dobbo mentioned. Don't buy the oval pipe though, you can get the 3.5" round from a place called RoadRunner. I think it looks much better than the oval. I fitted both before I'd run the car in so I can't comment on any improvements, but I'm sure it must of made some change.
Old 11 March 1999, 10:20 AM
spence
Scooby Regular

Mines an oval and I think it looks rather nice. Didn't fancy having a Nova large bore exhaust special loking out of the back, whether it can back it up or not...
Old 12 March 1999, 01:01 PM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

Now now ladies!!

I've got the Roadrunner 3.5" version which is fine but the oval one won the Max Power best looking back box award last year. Personally I never follow the pack and prefer the prestige of a limited availability model (miaow!)
Old 15 March 1999, 05:33 PM
spence
Scooby Regular

Had no idea it won a Max Power award... rather glad I am swapping it then, had I know that when the guy offered to pop it on when I bought it I may well have had to slap him for being silly.
Old 15 March 1999, 08:05 PM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

Am considering jacking mine in for a Scoobysport one which may be more pleasant on the ears(?!). Performance increase has been just fine but I am getting on a bit and have just managed to prise the Raybans and backwards-facing baseball cap off!
Old 17 May 2000, 12:32 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

So Dobbo,
is the Magnex back more noisy than the Scoobysport in your opinion? The Scoobysport at idle didn't strike me as very loud.