Notices

ITG Filters

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2003, 08:16 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read a few threads on this forum regarding ITG filters causing MAF failures. As I Have an ITG panel filter I thought it prudent to see what ITG have to say on the matter! This was their reply. I hope it clears one or two things up.
dave

To be perfectly honest with you we (itg) have NEVER been made aware of any failure to MAF sensors when using our products. The Impreza (WB-384) is our best selling Pro filter and we sell several thousand a year. I would of thought that if there was a problem with this scenario that someone would of told us directly by now. Our oiling process is done here at the factory and once oiled the filter never has to be cleaned again. The oil is in fact too thick to be drawn through the filter and deposit onto the MAF sensor. So compared to our competitors product there is no possibility for the customer to clean and re oil and put too much oil into the filter which can be drawn though the filter and potentially damage the MAF sensor.
I have heard of this problem happening to our competitors filters and I can only suggest that it might be a way for other people to suggest our products are failing just to put a fear into potential customers to reduce our sales.

Old 16 October 2003, 08:25 PM
s grove
Scooby Regular

well i seen the state of mine when at power engineering last week,filter housing soaked in oil,oulled it out stright away and put a k&N in ( which had no oil on it,like the ITG which did have when i put it in ). I certainly wount be using an ITG again
Old 16 October 2003, 10:52 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Well - I have to admit that I had used an ITG in my previous MY93 WRX (older style MAF) and was very pleased with it. However I fitted one for a week in MY00UKppp and noticed a slight difference in power. However when I inspected the air box, one of the corners had a fair residue of goo in the bottom. I removed the filter and cleaned out the aribox. However the MAF and Housing were dry as a bone - no sign of any oil and or goo. So aslong as the oil stays the other side of the filter then I would have thought there would be no problem. Just gotta make sure the filter is fitted correctly

I will be fitting the ITG again this week - and will open the airbox every couple of weeks to make sure the goo stays where it is

Just my 2 pennies worth
Old 17 October 2003, 12:53 PM
SimonBriggs
Scooby Regular

Smile

I also use an ITG panel filter on a MY00 Turbo 2000 and have had no problems with it. I agree that you do get oil residue in the bottom of the filter box but this does not go through the filter and on to the MAF.
Old 17 October 2003, 04:37 PM
BART!
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ITG filters are absolutely OK .

Fitted mine 2 years / 25k Miles ago (mostly trackdays only ) and
found at check that everything 'inside' was perfectly clean and dry .

What can cause problems are wrong installation or faulty maintenance ( wrong oil on filter)....

Also with standard filters the >99 MAF sensors have found to be
defect , so discussion will always be a bit misty...

[Edited by BART! - 10/17/2003 5:30:48 PM]
Old 17 October 2003, 04:42 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Was the pun intended Bart?
dave
Old 17 October 2003, 05:25 PM
BART!
Scooby Regular

Talking

NOooo.....Just a coincidence , believe me !