Notices

Whats best, DiskLock or St(Ch)ubby(?) steering Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 1999, 06:08 PM
david
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can't think of the correct name for the steering lock
Old 18 December 1999, 06:49 PM
MatthewR
Scooby Regular

The full wheel lock is supposed to be pretty good... that's the one that fits completely over the steering wheel (I believe it's the disklock - around £80 or so). It's best to get the one that totally covers the wheel, as it's proven to be not too tough to snap many others off. 'Which' have done tests on them if I remember correctly.

Alternatively, go for a snap-off style steering wheel. I think you can get attachments to fit almost any wheel. It might be worth giving someone like Demon Tweaks a call. The newer ones are key operated, so you don't even have to carry the wheel around with you... just detatch and leave in the car. Pretty much the ultimate anti-theft device. Doesn't stop vandalism though when they realise they can't nick it.

Matthew
Old 18 December 1999, 07:12 PM
JAMES.M.
Scooby Regular

David could it be the 'shorty' you are thinking of? If so both are good.
Just recently i have heard that disclock competetors are showing a video(to trade) showing that the disclock can be driven (all be it cearfully) wilst still locked on the steering wheel.
Have you looked at the autolock 2000 its a bit of a cross between the two?
...JAMES
Old 18 December 1999, 07:53 PM
david
Scooby Regular

Talking

James, Top Banana, Shorty is indeed the one.

The main concern I have is that I will have to attach and remove whatever deterent I buy every day, which to me, is a major consideration. I have lots of other security devices but you can't beat peace of mind.

Dave
Old 19 December 1999, 12:42 AM
Rob W
Scooby Regular

Smile

i went for the disclok after reading various security tests,it may be a bit clumsy to fit but once it's on you know your car is secure.it is a serious bit of kit,i can't see how you can drive with it in place because mine spins when you touch it.
Old 19 December 1999, 01:16 AM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

David

I am about to buy a steering wheel lock.A nice bloke in Halfords(who wanted to have a look at my car)let me try the disclok.I found it quite difficult to fit without opening the door,so I think it would be a pain to use all the time.Also it is quite bulky to store when not in use.
It did look pretty tough though.

Andy
Old 19 December 1999, 01:35 AM
Fatbloke
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

We have used a Disklok (Size small 80 UKP from Halfords) for the last 6 months - the arm swings and hits you in the face - nearly took the screen out twice , the 2 halves open like the mouth of a crazed turtle and you can forget to pull the bar across before pressing the plunger lock in

BUT

god help anyone who tries to break the thing off - it is a little big for the Ra's Nardi wheel but a recovery man once said you could spend a good 20 minutes trying to chisel the thing off and fail - would be better on a bigger wheel

Go buy Disklok AND a case and learn how to carry it/fit it onto the wheel
Old 19 December 1999, 11:11 AM
Mike F
Scooby Regular

One of the MaX Power type car mags did a security test and the DiskLock came out overall winner having a pro locksmith with cold chisel,jemmy,screwdrivers+hacksaw taking 34 mins to persuade it, the runner up was the autolock 2000 which looks pretty similar but was opened in 28 mins.

IMHO i plan to go for the disklock then when i can afford it i am going for a gearbox lock which according to a relative in the 'know' states that tea-leaves positively 'HATE'.
Old 19 December 1999, 02:44 PM
david
Scooby Regular

I had a look at the shorty and disklock today in Halfords.

Shorty, Very loose when fitted to the steering wheel, difficul to store.

I didn't even bother taking the disklock out after I had checked out the shorty, there is no way I'm going through the hassle of fitting that beast every day.

It looks like the gearbox lock is the way to go. Does anyone know a reputable dealer that will fit to an Sti V?

Cheers

Dave
Old 19 December 1999, 04:11 PM
Anders
Scooby Regular

Angry

I work at Rochester Young Offenders Prison.
The expert TWOCERS (they never say "I steal cars!" hate dislocks as "more trouble than they are worth"!
Old 19 December 1999, 09:00 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

With my security head on, I agree about the Disclock, It's done well in a majority of tests I've seen and I believe it is 'sold secure' approved.

TWOC'ers are clever little swine, they are crafty enough to know that TWOC'ing isn't technically 'Stealing', <I>(It is a specific offence under the theft act but is not full-on stealing)</I>.

Is a copy of the names and addresses of your 'customers' forthcoming Anders.

Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike Tuckwood (edited 19-12-1999).]
Old 21 December 1999, 11:41 AM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Talking

2 Questions then

TWOCERS ?? sorry can't figure that one out, please explain Mike/Anders)

Who fits these gearbox locks then ?? anyone in the south of England

Thanks guys
Old 21 December 1999, 01:33 PM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Cool

IMHO - Barrier Deadlock
Brilliant product.

( see the previous thread at:
Old 21 December 1999, 03:40 PM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

David.....I've had the Disklock for 1.5 years.

Easy to put on and off once you've mastered it.

Instructions.

1.It fits nicely underneath the drivers seat without flying around the car whilst on the move.

2. Sit in the drivers seat reach behind and remove disc from under seat while seated, install on wheel get out and go. 10 seconds.
3. To remove, sit in car seat, unlock and remove then reach behind your seat to stow, drive off. 10 seconds.

No problem.

Steve
Old 21 December 1999, 04:47 PM
Anders
Scooby Regular

TWOCing T aking W ithout O wners C onsent.

The issue is whether the little charmers intend to permanently deprive the rightful owner of the vehicle..........or just drive arround until they crash whilst "joy riding".

It is hard to keep my temper with them at times! }
Old 23 December 1999, 12:04 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Forget Disklok - good but too cumbersome.

Autolock 2000 is cheaper (£50/60), far easier to fit and store, and in all tests I've seen, matches or beats disklock.
Old 23 December 1999, 11:07 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

I've used a Disklok now for 3 months, I find it's ok, I fit it everytime I park even on the drive, I'm a big lad and I find it hard to fit on whilst sitting in the car but it's a doddle to fit/remove from out of the seat and whilst your out it goes behind the driver seat a treat, did'nt bother with the fancy bag though......

kev
Old 04 January 2000, 11:46 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I have a Disclok that I don't use any more (you know the syndrome - used it for the first 3 months of ownership then got tired of it). Any reasonable offer secures. It comes with both keys and is in near-new condition.

mailto:mike.nunan@octel.com or tel:0973-187547

TTFN

-= mike =-
Old 05 January 2000, 11:15 AM
Paul L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've had a Disklock for over 2 years now and initially struggled to get the B*****D fitted each day.

Used to open it up, hook it under the bottom of the wheel and then close the top of it (as per the instructions). Meant I had to stand outside whilst fitting it. A right pain in the A**E when raining.

Anyway, eventually found a solution which now means I can fit/remove it in about 5 secs.

Only open disklock a little bit (approx 20cm or so)
Hook the open bit over top of steering wheel first.
As lock is slightly open it hangs down a bit and so the bottom of lock slides between bottom of the steering wheel and your legs.
Closing the lock lifts the bottom of the lock up securing the entire wheel.

Hope that makes sense, and that it helps someone.

Paul L
Old 05 January 2000, 10:07 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

My vote is for the Disklok. I bought it on the day I got the Scooby for peace of mind, and it's now second nature to put it on whenever I park the car.

Fitting & removal is easy provided there is enough room between your knees and the bottom of the wheel.

It's easier to use and less unwieldy (now I've got the hang of it) than my old bar lock.

The Barrrier Deadlock is highly effective, but also highly ivisible from outside the car (unless the prospective thief sees the sticker). There is a device called the Mul-T-Lock which does a similar job (locking the car in gear) but stands out a mile. Take your pick!

Andrew
Old 07 January 2000, 11:35 AM
tomp
Scooby Regular

I have used a Mul T Lock on another car very successfully for a long time. They will also give you a list of insurers who will discount your premium. I will have to dig out their number (they have registered installers all over the place).

Tom
Old 09 January 2000, 03:53 PM
david
Scooby Regular

I eventually plumped for the DiskLock, it's a meaty bit of kit, might take a little bit of practice to put on quickly but looks well worth the money. Out of all the deterents I have tried (before I buy) in my car for ease of use and storage, the disklock fits very nicely behind the drivers seat

Dave