Notices

Clifford Concept 300 Failure

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 1999, 06:38 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Fitted the above (well a dealer did) and after just 3 weeks, went to use the car to go to the SVA test (nothing important then!)
Flamin alarm wouldn't disengage with the remote.
Missed SVA test
Dealer came out and after 2 hours and replacing the 'brain' damn thing still wouldn't work with the remotes. they are out again monday to try again...Anyone else had this...they said it was 'impossible to have this happen'
or am I just lucky....
Old 28 November 1999, 09:07 PM
JAMES.M.
Scooby Regular

Showtime, i was talking(maoning) to the dealer who fitted my concept 60x about some small problems ive been having and he said that i was lucky compared to most of the other imprezas he had done, as they are finding that the whole alarm is just packing up!
He did say it was only on STIs and that Clifford were redesigning there G4 alarms to address the problem, and that i was the only STI he had fitted with no major problems...yet!
cheers.....JAMES
P.S.Thanks for the info on the cable i should be sorting this week when Mr Goode gets cable for me. Then back to full revs!!yeah!!!
Old 29 November 1999, 12:01 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Bajie.
Do you have a seperate turbo-timer, or is it part of the alarm?
I have used the timer facility on my Clifford 300 as a turbo-timer. I activate it by pressing the 'boot' button on my remote whilst the engine's running, and I can then remove the keys and arm the car as normal. Mine's set to run for 1 min 30 secs, but I can manually switch it off with the same button. The immobiliser still activates after 30 secs as well. Is this how yours works?
If not, it may be worth considering having your alarm adjusted to do it, as it's much better I reckon. Get your doors to auto-lock too, as this isn't done as standard unless yu ask.
Never had any probs at all with my alarm (UK car).

Stef.
Old 29 November 1999, 08:41 AM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

James, Thanks for the comments, (Mines and STi ), maybe Clifford systems are not as reliable as they make out. I'll post again later when the dealer's been tp try again. (seems they now think the antenna's broken, and thats's "never happened in Cliffords history Sir"...Hmmm we'll wait and see.

Good luck with the cable. Oh and the bottom section (which fits into car gearbox) has a plastic retainer nut, so when you find you can't get a spanner on it, just twist it by hand or with small pliers, soon comes undone.
Old 29 November 1999, 09:26 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Interesting.
I've got a Concept 600 and have witnessed the following.
The doors do not lock when I start the car.
I have a turbo timer fitted so when I leave the car I lock the door manually [hardship].
When the timer finishes its countdown the doors open. Strange.
Old 29 November 1999, 11:41 AM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Bajie,

When they install the system in the car, they can program it to 'not lock' the doors. sounds like this is the case with yours.

Why they open when turbo timer exits...who knows...
Old 29 November 1999, 03:00 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Stef,

I assume you mean the immobiliser activates 30 seconds after the engine timer stops, otherwise your immobiliser 'aint doing it's job (cuts fuel and spark at least) that well!

Moray
Old 29 November 1999, 04:08 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Stef
This is my third Clifford. Always had the autolock enabled. The car is going back to have the 'unlock' problem investigated.
I bought the timer, then the alarm [not Clifford] started playing games annoying wife and neighbours, booked the car in for a Clifford then found out it had a self timing function after the timer was fitted!
I'll try the boot lock method and see what happens ... if all fails I'll remove the turbo timer.
Old 29 November 1999, 08:07 PM
Nico van Steen
Scooby Regular

You probably have fitted the Clifford, since the insurance company wants one, correct?

Luckely my insurance company doesn't insist on fitting an alarm. The factory immobelisor is enough. As an extra safety I installed a Tisonic Turbo Timer Alarm. Works great (except that the flashers stop flashing when arming after two or three months). The incorperated Turbo Timer works like a charm. Hop out of the car, take your key with you, press the remote and the car locks. And if you forget to lock the car, no worries, the alarm is activated before you have left the car and thieves who want to drive off will only come as far as one foot. Then the alarm will activate (siren and flashers) and cut the engine. Alarm has some other nice gadgets too (like anti hijack, courtesy lights, light beep if door is not closed properly when arming)!

Nico van Steen
MY99 Netherlands

[This message has been edited by Nico van Steen (edited 29-11-1999).]
Old 29 November 1999, 08:51 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

we have discussed turbo timers and cat1 alarms on the Supra list and we had some concerns that your insurance may not cover you if they find that you use a turbo timer as it leaves the car running with the immobiliser disarmed. I know most turbo timers cut out when you press the clutch or whatever but its still something thats worth thinking about.
Old 29 November 1999, 09:25 PM
JAMES.M.
Scooby Regular

Branners,
i was warned about the insurance implications when my alarm was fitted, and decided against a t/timer because of it.
Old 30 November 1999, 12:44 AM
EEasy
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have a concept 300 on an STI2
There should be a long gurantee/warranty.
You maybe able to get compensation.

I have never had anything go wrong with mine fortunately.
Waiting for the turbo timer to finishing cooling is the only niggle. I like to makesure all the doors boot etc are locked with a manual valet disengage and alarm/immobiliser turn on while I am there...

Old 30 November 1999, 01:26 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

I think it's something to do with the way the std remote locking is - it just sends a pulse and clicks from pos to neg. My installer had huge amount of problems making mine work - they don't get any help from the manufacturers, so it's up to the installer to suss it out and do a good job.
So far, 6 months later, no probs.
If you need the contact of my installer, let me know.
Old 30 November 1999, 05:30 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Yes, but when you arm/lock the car with the engine still running and someone DID try and drive off, they've still got to overcome the steering lock haven't they?
Then of course the engine would cut out after the timer finished, and the alarm would start blaring.
I reckon the pro's of the Clifford timer easily outweigh the cons.

Branners.
The Clifford system isn't classed as a turbo-timer, so there's no problem.

EEasy.
Why have a turbo-timer at all if you're going to wait around anyway? Are you also using the Concept 300's timer facility, or a seperate t-t?

Stef.
Old 30 November 1999, 06:34 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Turbo Timers...I never asked about those....interesting stuff anyway, Think I need about 450 more replies to beat stefs RS Owners Thread (which I've not looked at for ages cos it takes too long to load

Hello Stef you here as well

Problem fixed, it was the antenna (poor installer changed the brain for nuffin...still as long as it works
Old 02 December 1999, 01:53 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Bajie,

Just looked at this thread and to enlighten you on your turbo timer problem, ie.:

"I have a turbo timer fitted so when I leave the car I lock the door manually [hardship].
When the timer finishes its countdown the doors open. Strange."

Not so strange at all - the way Turbo Timers work is that they are wired in to keep the ignition live for a certain amount of time (should be called 'ignition-circuit-on' timers).

Your Clifford alarm has been setup to lock doors on 'ignition on' state and unlock doors on 'ignition off' state.

- Your turbo timer is 'switching' the ignition off hence the Clifford thinks you're finishing your journey and therefore unlocks your doors for you.

Either remove the Turbo Timer or don't have the 'auto-door-lock feature' set.

Incidentally, I have a brand new very neat Turbo Timer for sale if anyone wants - never fitted - just realised the above after purchasing and decided to manually wait in the car at the end of every 'Grand-Turismo' type journey!

Also, had a Clifford G4 (Concept 600) with remote engine start, boot release, headlight flash, etc... but it kept giving false alarms and cutting off the fuel supply! so had to ditch it for a simple Thatcham-1 alarm.

I used to like Clifford but since it stopped me from 'driving my car' on several occasions, I hate them now!
Old 02 December 1999, 02:13 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Richards,
I take your point about the car locking/unlocking the doors but my alarm does not lock the doors when I start the engine. It only unlocks so there's a problem.
which means the car, although immobilised is open.
Regarding your fuel cutting off could it be that you have the Blackjack function activated.
If it is/was then your car will throw a wobbly whenever you drive and a door is opened while the engine is running, eg stop let a mate in drive off without entering code all hell brakes loose.
Mines a Concept 600 too.
A Rotweiler would have been cheaper ...
The stupid thing about all this is it usually takes me three minutes before I leave the car anyway. So think about it people before you buy the timer do you REALLY need it ...
Regarding what Stef said I think I'll start using the Cliffords timer. So the Blitz is an ornament now.