To Buy or Not to Buy!

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 1999, 09:54 PM
Al Cook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Guys
I need someone's help in re-searching a possible buy. Ive got the chance of picking up my first Subaru. But it looks pretty special. Ive scanned these and other hallowed pages, but I still havent turned up anyhing remotely like it. Therefore I would greatlyappreaciate your help and guidance.
The car is a Rally Blue 4 door with roof vent. Type RA then.
Ltd Edition of 400 with front seats signed by Grist (Passenger) and Drivers (Colin). This series was not available in the UK so the Macrae special doesn’t fit, as far as I can see.
The car is a STI 3 late 96 (waiting for paperwork to see)
Part of the deal is resting on the value. The prices I have seen are in the region of 16-17k for the series Macrae (closest match). However, this model is loaded with motor sport extras. If possible I would appreciate your proffessional evaluation. The list is quite long, some of the items are no doubt standard, but others are definitely not!
The engine has a Nagashima Motorsport Engine management computer.
It has 5 injectors not the std 4.
Close ratio box with ‘quick and positive shift’ for quicker block changes.
'Fibre glass' type boot and bonnet.
Std RA electro diff adjustment.
Carbon fibre Torsion bars top and bottom of engine and rear boot.
Group A competition filter with oil breather.
16" Speedlines
3 Ltd slip diffs.
Turbo inlet and outlets modified so that the Turbo produces about 350 Bhp at 1.2 bar.
Hand forged pistons and lightened flywheel
Handbrake engaged motor for disengaging drive to the rear wheels. Handy for those 4 wheel drifts into Tescos carpark!.
Dual Turbo timer computer with manual boost settings and memory.
Water spray. Turbo, not windscreens!
Finally 31K Km’s. Its not been raced or rallied (Honest Guv?) But it does look the biz and nice and tidy.
I place it in the region of 22K? But all of you honest guys will no doudbt put me right!

Now all this sounds quite exotic and a little frightening!
But the question is how much a package like this is worth?
Would I have any particular difficulties running this at this level of spec in the UK?
How may more are there around like this in the UK?
Any tips or hints?
A unique car to own would be my guess!
Too many questions!

Again guys. I’d be really in your debt if you could advise me again as I need to get this tied up quite quickly due to importation timings.
Thanks again guys.

Best regards.... Alan..

Old 01 November 1999, 10:37 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Hmmm tricky.

The car sounds like an RA V limited, they are actually rarer than a 22B, as they only built 400 of them, instead of 424 for the 22B.

It is nothing like a McRae special edition, the McRae was producing standard UK levels of power, this would have been 276BHP as standard.

The only problem you will probabl;y find, if it all checks out OK, is you will definitely need to run the car on Super unleaded, and maybe also add an octane booster. It would have been run on 100 RON in Japan.

Depends how much they want for it when it gets here, but its one of the strongest engines in an Impreza, on the STi 3 too.

If the money is good, and you are prepared for the running costs, 98 RON and maybe the octane booster, I would say go for it, have no doubts though it will not be cheap to run, but you will enjoy every second of it
Old 01 November 1999, 10:46 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yup.

That sounds like a good one.

It appears as though attention has been paid in the right areas to make not only a powerful motor but a strong one also.

Don't know about the engine management system, never heard of them, it may be worth doing some surfing and see if it is programmable. If it is and somebody can do it you will be ok.

If not, get a possum link which should be able to deal adequately with what you've got. (even the fifth injector (?).

Let us know how you get on.

Mike.
Old 02 November 1999, 11:13 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

STI 3, The best one in many ways.

Type RA: Light Body and short gearing, about 108MPH max on standard rev-limit but absolutely awesome acceleration, (250ps max power as standard).

HAS THIS CAR BEEN RALLIED/INVOLVED I MOTORSPORT? A 5 injector system running the horsepower you suggest is likely to be setup more closely to the limits for 100RON japanese fuel, so check what can be done about the reduction to 98RON UK fuel.

Pricing sounds about right, although I would want to find out more about it's history (eg motorsport links...). You may find the gearing a little to short for british roads, but it should be about the same as a type-R, and many people seem to like them! 3 LSDs will make for different handling to most. You don't seem to mention the suspension setup, although it will probably be (adjustable?) motorsports kit like the rest of it.

Sounds like an absolute monster of a car, if you choose to buy it, check you can get insurance to cover all those mods before you pay out. If you go for it, look at getting the suspension adjusted to british roads and the engine setup for 98 or 95 RON UK fuel, then sit back and enjoy what should be a ridiculously quick car.

Moray
(Who has an STI VLtd and made the assuption that the car in question is to be used in britain. )
Old 02 November 1999, 04:14 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
i suggest you speak to bill gwyne about this car, it sounds similar to our rally team sponsors car, bill had to do a lot of work on the suspension to sort it for UK roads.
If it is the same then the springs will be very stiff to the point of kinking the roof panel on a very rough UK road.
Old 02 November 1999, 05:20 PM
Adam Hustler
Scooby Newbie

I think you would be much better off with my RB5 Prodrive!
Old 02 November 1999, 05:39 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Adam Hustler,

No offence intended: DREAM ON !

Full on motorsports prepared STI car with (based on write up) ~350bhp available versus UK car (circa 240bhp?) with a warranty and prodrive suspension? Let me think...

I suspect Alan has hunted out an import like this one because he has already made the UK or Import decision for himself.

Oh no, did I forget the all important Bright Button? My whole argument goes up in a puff of logic!

Moray
Old 02 November 1999, 06:47 PM
Al Cook
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Confused? I will be!
Thanks for the input guys, ver much appreciated. The car itself is currently in Cyprus (where I am based with the RAF) and is the private vehicle of a local Subaru dealer. He has installed some of the bits himself and has nurtured much love and attention to his pride and joy. In fact I have to sign in blood that i'll look after it, and also when I call, the first thing I have to say is "the cars still in one piece"!!
It is a wicked peice of kit and I do need to check the suspension (thanks John) as I really need to check out everything about this car before I leap in and buy a duffer.
Adam thanks for the offer, dont call me I'll call you!! Moray, do I detect a little jealousy? It is an uncomprimising car, and demands some thought as to the cost of ownership.
Thanks again Guys!
Old 02 November 1999, 07:24 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Red face

Don't let my co-driver hear you calling Grist a passenger!!!

Simon
Old 03 November 1999, 04:31 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

the car my rally team sponsor owns was also imported from cyprus. Sounds to much of a coincidence to me.
His car is the dogs dangly's but very low geared, to low for UK track work.
Old 03 November 1999, 06:07 PM
Al Cook
Scooby Regular

Red face

Oh Oh... I did not infer that Nicky, or other co-drivers are merely passengers, however much the seat they are in says they are! Anyway, it's a good job Co-drivers dont sit in the back, I really could have been in trouble then!
John, thanks for the heads up, it does look quite a coincidence, doesn't it. I am shying away a little as this car would be used as daily transport with occassional track day use. Such a focused car does deserve better. But I don't think that I'm it's man.
I am however, still buying a WRX, you can't get rid of me that easily!
regards.