Notices

Engine cut out on full Boost

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 1999, 11:43 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Whilst overtaking or acceletating hard the engine would just cut out indicating to me that over boost was sensed and shutdown had occured momentarily (very scary when overtaking !)
This problem started about 6 weeks ago and only happened once or twice.The car went in to the dealer and "cleaning" took place, all was well for a week, another visit to the garage and no fault could be found.The car came back performing better in my opinion although i was told nothing had been done.Might have been that i had missed her....
Last Sunday on a drive with Nick over Exmoor the problem reappeared again, this time though it happened every time i put my foot down.Just got the car back tonight and it feels as though i've lost about 30 to 40 bhp ! I can hardly hear the Turbo spinning up when accelerating.The is now no mid range punch as before.It's as if some sort of restrictor has been put in.
Has anyone got any ideas on what the problem is.Why did the dealer modify it like this.Obviously i'll be giving them some grief in the morning and will let you know.
Any advice much appreciated.

Steve.
Old 21 July 1999, 12:38 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this on my 97UK - just after a service and it happened twice. The garade had overfilled with oil and it had leaked into some sensor - they cured it by putting a restrictor in. 2nd time it happened the upgrade the part to 98 spec. Can't remember what it was though! Sorry
Old 21 July 1999, 01:21 PM
EVOBOY
Scooby Newbie

Steveb
What might be the problem is the boost solinoide has bunged up with oil.I had the problem with my Aus 98 model rex.As soon as the car came on boost it felt like hitting a brick wall.Subaru replaced the part as it is awell known problem.
Check out the faqs i think it is on this site.I'm sure some of the members set it up it has some great info.
Wow i think i've helped someone the things you learn with these cars.
Evoboy

[This message has been edited by EVOBOY (edited 21-07-99).]
Old 21 July 1999, 05:58 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies,
Spoke to the dealer this morning and they told me they had fitted an "Orifice" ? this restricts the air flow to the Turbo, they have fitted this to a few cars and is supplied by Subaru.This device comes in different sizes depending on how much flow you want to restrict !
Obviously i told them that the car was not originally supplied with one of these and for them to sort the problem without restricting the power.If the wastegate needs replacing then replace it !
The car is booked in again for Friday, i'll let you know how we progress.

Steve.
Old 21 July 1999, 08:05 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch Steve! Is this Tileys messing around? They fitted a prodrive gearknob for me & it fell off on the way home!

You are right that they should not fit a restrictor to sort out your car, they are simply trying to reduce the power to hide the symptons, rather than fixing the problem. Maybe they should take the turbo off completely??

Is your car still under warranty?
Old 22 July 1999, 12:13 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Nick,
Yes, fortunately still got just over 12 months of the warranty left.

Steve.
Old 22 July 1999, 04:00 PM
Jon Stewart
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem on my 98my turbo and visited the garage 4 times. They tried cleaning the solenoid twice, fitted the restrictor the third time and the fourth time fitted a new solenoid.
The restrictor didn't work for me and with the new solenoid the problem has at last gone!
Old 22 July 1999, 04:35 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Hi,
I've had this problem as well. First time they did the "prodrive" fix of cleaning the pipes near the overboost sensor which appeared to do the trick for a while, but then the problem came back. The car had to go back a month later to adjust the drivers door mirror so I got them to do it again and it seemed to have gone away. It's only done it to me on cool mornings where there's been damp air so I guess that's when you're going to generate the most boost (like the evening Exmoor jaunt) and hence most likely to go over the limit. The car's just come back from service today and they've replaced the overboost sensor solenoid thingy and also done the "subaru france" fix of making sure they only fill the oil up to half way between Min and Max and not all the way to MAx as I suspect many garages would do. If your dealer does this, I'd suggest you check the oil level every week or so to make sure that it hasn't dropped too low.

Cheers

Andy
Old 22 July 1999, 08:22 PM
vanya gant
Scooby Regular

probably irrelevant but I found that putting petrol in helps. Discovered this with foot on floor in STI V (ie proper) scooby going around LH corners with maybe 2 gals in tank. Just cuts out for a second or so. VERY hairy. put more petrol in, and problem disappears. just trying to be constructive - if still a problem with more than a coupl'a gals in the tank, then my suggestion irrelevant and sorry for wasting your time.
Old 23 July 1999, 09:34 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Wink

Vanya,
Isn't that maybe the detonation countdown!!

V cautious STi owner.