Notices

Intro & speedo question

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 1999, 09:36 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my 1st post so.... hi all

I've just been to Holland to collect my new "Stars25" turbo. While I wait for it to be registered in the UK I plan on changing the speedo from km's to mph.

I presume that the "sticker method" is the best way but where do I get it from ?

I've done a quick search on this forum but no joy - If anyone has done this before could you please help a newbie out by pointing me in the right direction.

TIA,

Andy.
Old 20 April 1999, 10:00 AM
Norrie
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy

Probably best to get a garage to fit a uk speedo. I did hear though that IM were insisting on chassis numbers when new speedo heads were being ordered by dealers to allow them (IM) to check the origin of the car. I don't know if this is true but since your car is new from Holland I'm sure you shouldn't have any trouble. Another option is to just fit a new face to your existing speedo head. These are listed in Demon Tweeks' catalogue although in an earlier thread someone mentioned that they weren't actually stocked(?). This would be the cheapest option but your odometer would still read km.

Since we're on the subjuct of speedos other readers may find this helpful in the case of Jap imports.

Scoobysport do a conversion which consists of a gearbox fitted in line with the speedo cable. The gearbox divides the cable rotation by 1.61 (ish). A "mph" sticker is then put over your own speedo's "km/h". The odometer then reads miles travelled rather than km. Other companies advertise in the back of 'Autotrader' and 'Top Marques'.

This method also de-restricts pre '96 WRXs but newer cars use electronic speedos so you'd have to fit a uk speedo and chip the ecu to remove the speed restriction (I think).

Hope this helps

Nor :-)
Old 20 April 1999, 01:04 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I bought a new speedo face for mine through a guy advertising in the Exchange and Mart, about £25 + VAT. I can dig out the number if you wish. Yours probably isn't speed restricted, is it?
Old 20 April 1999, 01:51 PM
Kenny
Scooby Regular

How easy is it to get the dash apart, my WRX has had the speedo converted (by changing the face) but isn't de-restricted, so if I fit the gearbox convertor (anyone know how much these are?) I'll have to put the old face back on.

Cheers

Ken

[This message has been edited by Kenny (edited 20-04-99).]
Old 20 April 1999, 02:01 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

The instruments are held in by 4 screws, two under the top edge, and one either side of the steeing column. Then lift the instruments out, pull off the clip on perspex face, and then you can chage the speedo face. Details may not be 100% accurate, but it only took about 20 mins from start to finish on my 94 WRX.
Old 20 April 1999, 09:51 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

Thanks Norrie - I'll ring my local dealer for a quote.

Stuart - the number would be useful if it's easy to find and, no, mine isn't speed restricted.

Old 21 April 1999, 09:50 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I don't know if this was the guy I used, I'll look that up when I get home, but I found this one for now!

JAPANESE IMPORT CONVERSIONS INSTRUMENTATION CONVERSIONS
PLATES OR ELECTRONIC DE-RESTRICT MOST MODELS RADIO BAND
EXPANDERS (THE BEST) FOG-LIGHT KITS FUEL NECK'S SVA
CONVERSIONS DIY/FITTING SERVICE ALL MAJOR CREDIT CARDS
ACCEPTED 4-BRANCHES THROUGHOUT THE MIDLANDS ONLY 01527
870647 DAVE BRADLEY T
Old 21 April 1999, 09:51 AM
Norrie
Scooby Regular

Andy.

I'm saying you shouldn't have a problem with your local dealer but I'm sure you've read on this BBS what they can be like. But I do know a friend who imported a Legacy and had all the conversion work done by a dealer without any probs.

Kenny.

The Scoobysport version costs about £168 + VAT I think. I can't quite remember as I've deleted the email message I had (Doh), although I've a copy at home. Another company advertising in the Autotrader or Top Marques who claimed to be close to London are asking for around £120 + VAT I think but you have to send them your cable to be modified.

If anyone has carried out these mods could they please post their experiences. - My '94 WRX is "due" on 10/05...

Can't wait!
Old 21 April 1999, 10:04 PM
abetts
Scooby Regular

Kenny/Norrie,

My chosen solution was as follows:

1. Remove the speedo and speedo cable from the car and send to the following company:

Speedy Cables
The Mews
St. Paul Street
Islington
London N1 7BU
Tel: 0171 226 9228

2. They will fit a mechanical gearbox into the speedo cable which reduces the speed of the cable at the speedo end by five eighths (thus recalibrating your speedo from kilometers to miles per hour as one kilometer is five eighths of a mile). The gearbox is metal and about the size of two matchboxes taped together. You will have to mark on the cable where you want them to position the gearbox. It is
important to get this right or you may have problems (eg the speedo gearbox is too close to the turbo which fries it). On my STi v.3 the cable is made in two sections. The first part comes out of the gearbox and is about eight inches long. It is connected to the second part by a metal clip under a red rubber boot. The re-calibration gearbox should be fitted as near as possible to the car's gearbox in the second part of the speedo cable. This keeps it in a fairly straight section of cable well away from the turbo.

While I think of it, tip for the day:

When you remove the speedo from the dashboard, disconnect the
speedo cable at the gearbox end first. This will make removing the speedo much easier. You will understand why when you try it. Also be very careful not to damage the instrument surround. If it is carbon as on the Sti they are damned expensive.

3. So what do Speedy Cables do when they get your package in the post?

(a) Fit the re-calibration gearbox to the cable.

(b) Replace the kph marking on the speedo face with mph (incredibly neatly by the way. You would never know it had been done)

(c) If you ask them to, set the odometer to whatever mileage you like. I chose the miles equivalent of the kilometers reading on my car but you could ask them to zero it if you wish.

4. When you get the speedo and cable back from Speedy Cables (turn around was four days in my case) you simply re-fit them. Hey bingo! You have the following:

(a) A speedo which reads 0-180mph using the original high quality Subaru speedo face.

(b) An odometer which reads in miles.

(c) A speed limiter which cuts in at 180mph as opposed to 180kph; thus effectively removing the speed limiter.

Total cost of this was 100 pounds. Given the method used, this will, of course, work on any import with a mechanical speedo.

I have no connection with Speedo Cables. They are just a company I have used for various jobs over the years.

Good luck!