Notices

Rear end THUD when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 1999, 12:21 AM
Jonas Hedvall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 99, only 1000 miles, makes a worisome "THUD" from the rear axle area when shifting quickly from 1st to 2ng gear, near the red-line. The thud is very loud and coincides with popping the clutch.
What is causing the noise?

Can this eventually lead to Transmission/Differential failure? Or is it just normal driveline noise?

Dealer told me the clutch is very jerky and I should adapt my driving style, and ease the clutch in...won't this wear the clutch out even more?

Any better hints on getting the power down fast, without breaking something?

Thankfull for your thoughts,

Jonas
Old 07 April 1999, 01:41 PM
JohnS

Hi Jonas,

this is quite a common "characteristic" of Impreza's, and isn't anything to be unusually worried about.

You will find that if you release the clutch completely before flooring it again, and are generally a little smoother with your shifts you won't get the noise at all. This is generally much nicer to the transmission (and passengers), so would be better for long term life of the car. It may feel slightly slower, but that's because it's smoother....
Old 07 April 1999, 02:44 PM
Jonas Hedvall
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that... I feel better knowing it is normal. Will try to change my driving style.

But what mechanical componet is actually responsible for the noise? Is it Drive shaft, differential, or viscous coupling?

The noise does sound like the rear suspension bottoming out against the bump stops? Although I find that improbable.

Jonas