Waterspray extra cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2003, 09:36 AM
cool red scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolute Shower,

You might wanna do this ...

The topic (if you're Dutch is OK that is): http://www.subaruclub.nl/forum/viewt...r=asc&start=30

There's even a link to a short film to show how it works.

[Edited by cool red scooby - 10/1/2003 9:38:27 AM]
Old 10 April 2003, 09:56 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

A little secret i was told, is to warm the water up, as it then takes less energy to evaporate and will cool the intercooler quicker !!

[edit] forgot to mention, that this works best when the water is atomised with the air, so the finer the mist you can get the better

[Edited by Monkeh - 10/4/2003 9:59:59 PM]
Old 30 September 2003, 01:33 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Question

Being a plank...what's meths in relation to putting it in the waterspray tank for extra cooling? I hear it can lower the temps better than just plain water...I take it it's not the stuff like white spirit that takes paint off...not recommended under the bonnet as my waterspray sprays over the bonnet slightly through gaps.

Anyone had fancy method of cooling IC even more than just waterspray without water injection?
Old 30 September 2003, 01:38 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Why not try chilling the water tank, or even having the water tank in a cooler bag/box? at least then, you are not putting anything into the water that may attack the paintwork or gearbox casing as it sprays out.
Old 30 September 2003, 01:41 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Thats kinda what I was thinking...but more along the lines of a chiller spraying over the intercooler...but then I was stuck with car voltage running that kind of kit etc.

So you think the meths that is used does attack paint? Is it the same as white spirit? I was told it's the same stuff as in engine coolant.

Do you know of a decent chiller for the boot mounted tank? Website?

Cheers
Old 30 September 2003, 03:06 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

WOOOOOHHHH!!!!! I wouldn't be using meths m8, it has a very low flash point, and burns with an almost invisble flame. Could all end in tears, or smoke!!
dave
Old 30 September 2003, 03:09 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dave...It's just a few guys told me to use meths in very small amount with water as it adds to cooling...so say.

Is there any other stuff that can be used that doesn't attack paint etc and has cooling??

I'm really thinking re this chiller idea...hmm.

Trending Topics

Old 30 September 2003, 03:12 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

What a plonker...I've just checked what me mate told me via email and it's methanol.

Anyone know much about it? Does it work? Where can you buy it from in bulk? Does it like paintwork?
Old 30 September 2003, 03:15 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

The stuff you can smell in anti freeze is Ethylene Glycol, not meths, unless you use the "cheapo" summer stuff which contains methanol and evaporates as soon as you fill the system !

For simple starters, why not simply drop some ice cubes into the tank, then pack the sides of the tank with some of those "cooler pack" you pre chill in the freezer and put in your cooler bag when off out for a picnic.
If works, then you could always get a 12v mini fridge, fit that in the boot and put the water tank inside it, Hey presto! Chilled water, but then what do you do about the length of water hose that runs between the tank and the spray jet?

How do you prvent that pipe from getting warm, especially as it runs along the side of the inner sill, so warms up to cabin temp on a long run??
HHmmm, now do you have to insulate this pipe as well?
Or how about lengthening the pipe to the spray jet, so as it coils around the air con pipes in the engine bay, before it runs up to the bonnet jet. I know it means running with air con on, but its that type of weather that requires use of the spray system anyway.
Old 30 September 2003, 03:23 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Hmm, now I've got more ideas...

Don't understand why me mate puts in methanol then if it goes up in a 'puff of smoke' once added to the tank...what's the point?

Same they haven't made a small chiller device (smaller than a fride that can be placed in the boot and blows cold air onto the tank.

Ice cubes sound very cheap idea...but when I really need it, I'm sure they'll be melted already.

I'm also thinking re the idea of having two tanks under pressure so when boost is on, the amount of water over the IC is enough to sink the Titanic!
Old 30 September 2003, 03:59 PM
st33ly
Scooby Regular

Forgive me if am wrong but this tank sprays onto the IC not into it?
Old 30 September 2003, 04:04 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Yeh, onto the IC from above...it's not water injection.
Old 30 September 2003, 04:12 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

defintions:-
methylated spirits
noun [functioning as sing or pl] alcohol that has been denatured by the addition of methanol and pyridine and a violet dye

methanol
noun a colourless volatile poisonous liquid compound used as a solvent and fuel. Formula: CH3OH
Also called: methyl alcohol, wood alcohol

Both are flammable.

How will a trace amount of methanol or meths affect the capacity of water to cool an intercooler if sprayed onto the outside ??? The change to the specific heat capacity of water would be negligible, and quite possibly make it less efficient.

I think you mean why use methanol with water injection ?

Old 30 September 2003, 04:19 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Na m8...I was told small amount of methanol with external waterspray adds to cooling. Now sounds like pants and I wouldn't use it due to flam and paintwork.

Chiller or ice cubes sound better idea. Anyone know of a small chiller that can blow air over a tank or fit inside one?
Old 30 September 2003, 04:26 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

I think whoever advised you was confused %)
Old 30 September 2003, 04:46 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

people use it to aid cooling because you do not want to drench the ic you want to put a mist over it as a mist evaporates quicker and mathanol aids this as it evaporates even quicker if that makes sense
Old 30 September 2003, 04:49 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Cheers Stevey...it does...bang goes my idea of two tanks...not needed.
Old 30 September 2003, 04:59 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

the better you get it to evaporate the quicker it takes away the heat within reason but by drenching it it takes to long for the water to evaporate therefore havinging a negative effect as the ic wont cool at it's best
Old 30 September 2003, 05:06 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Wink

That's why the car goes better on misty days then rainy ones yeh. Thinking of changing my STI7 jets to smaller items, although think they might block with tap water. Sti7 jets are used by electric pump and air pressure in tank, so they should be good spread of water...
Old 30 September 2003, 05:10 PM
st33ly
Scooby Regular

Brit in Japan - Thats exactly what i was going to say but in less technical terms. Only possible in water injection!!!!!!!!!!
Old 30 September 2003, 05:53 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

The Methanol is used as an Anti freeze in winter on W/I systems
Old 01 October 2003, 10:18 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Ah I see, the methanol helps the water to form into a mist (by reducing surface tension ?)

Now that makes sense

Old 01 October 2003, 03:00 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

I have seen a test on IC additional cooling, they tested with freeze spray, ice cooled water and normal water. Best cooling was with water at normal temperature. The reason is that the cooling is from the evaporation of the water.
Lars
Old 04 October 2003, 06:00 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Gentlemen!
Please take a look at my thread in Projects on this subject...A kit is available in the USA which blasts the IC with CO2. Very cold, on demand and cheap. You can get it even at Halford in a bottle, used for CO2 welders!
The installation looks like the spraybar in the picture above, very neat and will chill that IC really quick, I've tried the luke warm water, the iced water and the ice cubes this year, all seemed to make little difference to my race times (hill climbs).
CO2 seems the best?
Graham.
Old 14 October 2003, 12:40 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Seems mist is best...I've got STi7 jets (6 of) but can't say they give a fine spray...not like an open tap but could be better.

My spray is working much better since I found a non-return valve was the wrong way around - doh. Since then, the det from 5-5,500 has gone, even at 1.7 bar peak in lower gears...nice. Trouble is, tank is empty too quick on motorway.
Old 14 October 2003, 08:01 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

CO2 best m8, saw two tobo cars in the states running CO2 kits on the drag strip, both to maximum effect considering it was touching 100... Spoke to one guy and he reconed hey got the ambiant intake temp down to around 18c... this is on a 100c day... cool and very nessasary in that heat.
The guys over thier have this problem sorted, I'd have a look at some stateside site for more ideas.