Notices

4th gear syncrho probs on STi IV Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 1999, 01:19 AM
Robin
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone else experienced a problem with their Scooby selecting 4th from 5th?

Perfectly alright from 3rd -> 4th, but above 60mph coming down into 4th produces cog-grinding-cog noses. 1998 car with 10k miles by me from new, albeit with enthusiasm (and some track days).

Dealer beleives it to be the synchro, possibly fourth gear, but less likely as fourth works perfectly ok once selected.

Does anyone also know what type of oil is used in my gearbox? It is not typcal of gearbox oil (i.e. it's clear and thinner than engine oil) and I am unsure as to whether it has running-in oil installed.

The problem does not really prevent the car from being driven - though overtaking is restricted slightly, and dissapears after the car has been driven for more than an hour.

R.
Old 16 March 1999, 02:31 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

I have found that it is possible to try and select Reverse, when changing down with enthusiasm. Fourth and Reverse are quite close to each other and there is no protection on Reverse. It seems to be a question of a calm and deliberate gear change. I find I hardly ever do this now that I realise the problem.
Old 16 March 1999, 04:25 PM
Charlie
Scooby Regular

I've driven a 4-dr STi IV, with no gear change problems. My STi V also has no problems.
But another STi V 4-dr I drove had a REALLY stiff 4th to 5th chance. The dealer said that 'Some of them are like that....'

*shrug* I guess some of them are like that then...
Old 21 March 1999, 10:35 PM
swinty
Scooby Newbie

My STI-5 Coupe has just been run in with only 1200 miles on the clock and has started making a bit of a crunching noise when selecting 5th from 4th, but only when higher up in the rev range. Only noticed it tonight with the stereo off. Although not the same problem, it is a bit worrying. Hopefully it isn't a problem, but you don't expect this from a new car.

Oil for gearbox quoted as Subaru Extra S 75W-90(GL-5), 4 litres for Turbo/Sti. Change every 12,000 miles.
Old 22 March 1999, 08:34 AM
Robin
Scooby Newbie

Thankx for the input on this problem. I'm having the gearbox oil changed today, along with engine oil for an intermittent service. I'll let you now how I get on after the work is done.
Old 22 March 1999, 04:05 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

CharlesW:

Erm .. what happens if you select reverse?!

(not really being brave enough to try it)

Steve.
Old 22 March 1999, 05:52 PM
bruceh
Scooby Regular

In the last two weeks I've test driven two different Sti V coupes. Both had done under 1000 mls. Both made a nasty grating noise when changing up from 4th into 5th, one much worse than the other. I want to buy an Sti V 5-door, but I find this a bit worrying.

Have any Sti V owners experienced this, or have I just been unlucky in the two I drove?

Old 23 March 1999, 08:15 AM
Andrew Reynolds
Scooby Newbie

In my STI V Type R, there is also a crunch when changing into 5th from 4th, although only when high up the rev range in 4th. I believe that it is a syncro problem on 5th gear. if you pause between 4th and 5th the gear will select ok

Andrew
Old 23 March 1999, 02:12 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Steve,

You get "cog - grinding - cog" noises. I don't think you could actually put it into reverse at 60 -70 mph!