Notices

Boost Gauges on MY99

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 1999, 03:15 PM
Godzooki
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed from a previous thread that Pete Croney has a boost gauge in his MY99. Where is the best place for this? (Both for functionality and aesthetics) and easiest fitting routes for piping etc.

What's the best manufacturer for boost gauges, especially matching colours to "white" dials of MY99?
Old 19 January 1999, 04:36 PM
Jules
Scooby Regular

Graham Good racing do a "pod" that consists of 3 gauges (boost & 2 others)
Its available only for 98/99 MY cars with the completely new interior (it fits in the "cubby hole" on the dashboard (lid must be removed)
Part no. GGS181 - £99.00 - The dials are also white to match the main dials in the car. Brochure says all fitting kits for gauges are extra & to ring for prices (0116) 244 0080.
Seen one fitted & it looks really good.
Another place I have seen a boost gauge fitted is on the steering column.
Old 19 January 1999, 04:47 PM
nigel
Scooby Regular

Boost guages hmmm !
I noticed in one of the motoring magazines that the silver prodrive demonstrator car had the dash mounted 3 dial kit in place of the storage box. A bit of telephoning round to my dealer and prodrive revealed the following:-
Graham Goode sells this kit and very smart it looks too. It's not cheap though.
Prodrive also looked into marketing this product but decided against it as it worked out too expensive once their mark-up had been added. The guages in their demo car are cosmetic only and are not wired up.
The dials although white will not match the illumination on the dash.
After all this my dealer then told me (are you ready for this) it would take approx 16 hours labour to fit the kit and wire everything up as virtually the whole dashboard had to come out. What this would do for future rattles and squeeks I dont know.
I have seen over cars with boost guages only mounted in various places around the dash and steering column. In the end I just gave up.
Prices for boost guages vary tremendously, in one of my previous cars I had a VDO guage from Mardi Gras Motorsport.
I know this all sounds a bit depressing but I thought I'd let you know what I was told.
There is also another thread somewhere about boost guages etc.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 19 January 1999, 04:51 PM
nigel
Scooby Regular

One more thing.....
I know I cant spell GAUGE.
ooops
Old 19 January 1999, 05:53 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

It seems those extra gauges from GGR and the Prodrive demo are similar to those offered as option in Japan. A steering column mounted boost gauge is also available there.
Old 20 January 1999, 09:54 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I have a Lamco one, which reads 0 to 1.2 kg/cm2 (roughly equivalent to BAR).

The dial is white, but as said above, it stays white when illuminated.

I mounted it to the left of the steering col, so that it is visible through the 8 o'clock hole between the wheel's spokes.

The power was taken from the light which illuminates the inside of the ash tray and the plumbing to the inlet manifold passes through the rubber bung below the clutch reservoir. About an hour to fit.
Old 20 January 1999, 11:09 AM
Godzooki
Scooby Newbie

As I don't have my MY99 yet I don't actually know what colour the instrument cluster is when illuminated. Sorry! Any clues?

Does the steering column mounting option have a good finish to it - or does it look like a 100% afterthought?

What are the other two gauges in the GGR pod or are you free to choose? If so what do you all recommend in these two holes?
Old 20 January 1999, 11:23 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

The instruments are white under normal conditions, but turn black with green illumination at night, not quite sure how they acheived this, but looks good ;-)
Old 20 January 1999, 03:27 PM
Godzooki
Scooby Newbie

Sounds like they could be electro-luminescent gauges (as fitted to RS Cosworth) where a very small voltage is supplied to the numbers which are painted on with a special reactive substance. This would cause the writing to be green and the rest of the dial to appear black as it is unlit. If they were floodlit gauges the whole gauge face would glow green.

Sorry for the sadness of this info but I used to work for Ford in their instrument cluster manufacturing plant!
Old 20 January 1999, 10:50 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Those extra gauges appeared in the Japanese WRX brochure are made by Lamco.
Old 21 January 1999, 07:29 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Clarence,

Is this pod assembly available to order ?
Old 21 January 1999, 11:32 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

The pod assembly is available as a dealer fitted accessory in Japan.
I'm not sure whether you can order direct from Japan, but judging by the descriptions, the pod GGR offers is probably near enough to the Japanese pod. Anyway, the Japanese pod is identical to the demo pod in the Prodrive car.
Please note, the Japanese pod contain gauges for voltage, oil pressure and oil temperature - the (official accessory) boost gauge is fitted on the steering column next to the wiper stalk.
Other Impreza accessories are carbon type interior trim, gearknob and handbrake grip, and knee rests.
Old 22 January 1999, 08:51 AM
Godzooki
Scooby Newbie

I've noticed on the Ace Kensington website (Sub. dealer in London) that they sell gauge packs (consisting of compass, altitude and outside temp) and an instrument panel for the above.

These are under the Impreza accessories, although I presume they are aimed at the forester.

Prices are £223.19 for the gauge pack (including panel) and £58.69 for the panel alone.

As these are for three gauges are they the same idea as the GGR fitment. Has anyone seen these in a car and could any 58mm gauge be fitted?
Old 22 January 1999, 09:18 AM
Jules
Scooby Regular

Take a look at http://www.cerbera.co.uk/subaru/home.htm
Go to Accessories.
Then go to DASH TOP BINNACLE.
Shows pictures of the 3 gauge pod & fitting instructions (OUCH!!)

Cheers.