Old 15 September 2003, 12:06 PM
virgin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this removal thing work ? extra cold air and all that,
Old 15 September 2003, 01:09 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Location: West Sussex-Scoob stripped :( Hello Audi A6 4.2V8 Quattro :)
Virgin
I have taken it out of my car, and I know of a few other scooby owners that have done the same, looking at the box we were amazed any cold air gets to the filter?????????????????
I then have got a pipercross air pipe(about 80mm) with the alloy looking ends, this runs from the inside of my engine bay, next to the blitz air filter, down the inside , and tied to the intake vents under my indicator.I am sure this makes a big difference on cold air being blown onto my filter.
Hope this helps???
Kev.
Old 15 September 2003, 03:15 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've removed mine. As Kev says, I am surpised that any cold air would get past that resonator as its a closed box blocking the wing holes to the induction kit (K&N on mine) - I've added some ducting from the front plastic wedge, running through the inside of the wing and then pointing directly to the induction cone.

It's hard to notice a difference as i removed it on the same day as adding the induction kit - certainly sounds better! Big thing I'm noticing these days is that when it is cold in the mornings, the car feels completely different to warm days - pick up has improved massively - much more than hot/cold day differential when the ITG panel filter was there. HTH.
Old 16 September 2003, 12:32 AM
virgin
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, have you both had your cars re-mapped as well ?
Old 16 September 2003, 08:47 AM
Parf7
Scooby Regular

Gents, how do you remove the resonator? Any instructions, pictures?
Old 16 September 2003, 09:11 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

The doom mongers will be on soon no doubt Telling you its bad. I've done nearly 60,000 miles in my MY00 in ALL weathers and it's been fine.
When I removed mine (Well, Hanslow removed it while I had a brew and passed a few tools ) I noticed more induction noise but I can't honestly say that it improved spool up or anything like that. Mind you i'd only had the car for about a month so i wouldn't have known anyway.

Mikey
Old 16 September 2003, 09:34 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I'm assuming you are talking about the classic scoob. If so, from memory, do the following:

Jack up the car and remove the front offside (drivers) wheel.
You will need to remove the inner lining of the wheel arch (quite easy, it is just held on with a couple of screws and a few clips)
You should then be able to see the resonator (big black tube, with a large bulbous end).
The resonator is secured by a nut and bolt about 2/3s of the way down, it is a little difficult to get in there, but you should be able to get either a small spanner or ratchet in there (10mm bolt I think).
Remove the nut and you should be able to pull the resonator out.

The resonator serves two purposes: to reduce induction noise and stop water getting onto the air filter and being ingested by the engine, so you make the modification at your own risk!

When I removed mine, I put a piece of flexible aluminium tubing, bent into a loose 's' shape. I poked this through the hole left by the resonator in the side of the engine bay and directed the other end towards the front of the car - diy cold air pipe - seemed to work quite well

Chris
Old 16 September 2003, 10:33 AM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Location: West Sussex-Scoob stripped :( Hello Audi A6 4.2V8 Quattro :)
Talking

Virgin
NO you most definately do not need a re map, its just a way of making sure as much cold air is directed onto your air filter as possible, I dont believe you have to worry about water as the intake is tied onto the air vents under the indicators, the pipe then directs upwards to the wing, probably about a couple of feet until it reaches your engine bay.I have never noticed any water residue on my blitz filter.
And regarding noise I haven't noticed any difference...........but then did you buy your scoob to be a nice quite family car?????????? Maybe the reason I can't hear any difference is because I am deafened by my fully de catted HKS exhaust, blitz air filter, HKS dump valve, popping and banging, oh and my stereo playing ABBA full volume .
Old 16 September 2003, 11:12 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Instructions as per ChrisL's post. It is quite simple to do - I difn't follow any instructions and played around - it's obvious what bolts need to come off.

I'm re-doing the ducting today, going to use 2 halford ducts (previously used one fat duct which got squashed and broke!).

Remap? Not sure - because MRT do a ducting kit or something and that DOES require a remap.

Rain? Not sure how that is an issue - I find more crap comes through the bonnet vent than the wing! No problems so far...
Old 16 September 2003, 09:00 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Resonator Removal

I did mine a few weeks ago on a 2001 Bugeye, needed to get the CEL turned off afterwards though

[Edited by MadGrip - 9/16/2003 9:02:25 PM]