Notices

1st Gear 'Kangarooing'

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2003, 11:54 AM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having had the car for about 4 weeks now (STI7) I'm a little surprised at the lack of power low down in first. I say this because twice now I've pulled out of a junction and not given many revs and the car just bogs right down and sort of jumps of until it hits a power band. I understand that the car won't pull much until the turbo spins up but it seems a bit strange to have to rev the car to 3-4000 just to do a half smooth start. To do a serious start I've been told to rev to 5000!? I've just got rid of a Fiat 20v Turbo and that pulled really hard with no revs at all in first. Is it something to do with it being 4WD and having to shift power to all the wheels causing it to 'bog' a little. I assume this is normal for the Imprezas?
Old 15 September 2003, 12:22 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the club then - i nearly took mine back to the dealer!

It has taken me the best part of 4 months to be able to beat a fiesta 1.0 off the line.....
I know it seems very different to most other cars you have driven, but you will bet used to it....eventually.
The low end Torque is really quite poor in the STI7.

If you don't want it to bog down on anything other than a slow start then you have to get used to getting the revs up before you reach the biting point on the clutch - And to at least 2.5K, more like 3.5 if you want to be even a bit quick off the line.
So for a quick(ish) launch.. Lights go green, depress the accelerator.........wait............then slip clutch slightly. Then smell the clutch (a bit sometimes)
I don't think there is any other way with the standard car
Old 15 September 2003, 12:26 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Talking

Forgot to mention... It's even harder with the aircon on! I think that actually takes up most of the low end power

And when its cold, then is't really bad!
Old 15 September 2003, 12:39 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

I'm glad someone else finds this to be a problem.I couldn't beet a Robin off the lights if I had too without giving it a welly full!!Don't get me wrong, I don't go for sprint starts all the time, its just I've pulled out twice now on someone and its embarassing!! On an industrial estate near us a friend and I just thought we'd have a go at getting a fast start and the only one we got was one that rode the clutch and stank the car out for half an hour!I dread meeting a 'boy racer' in his 997cc Fiesta disguised as an XR2, coz I'll either casually pull of and and he'll beat me easily or I'll rev the bollocks of it and look a ******** anyway for putting so much effort in!! Its the only thing about the car that I just don't like.It needs either more low down pulling power or a clutch that can feed the power in more esily.
Old 15 September 2003, 12:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its easier and cheaper on clutches and transmissions etc to just start normally and floor it when the clutch is fully engaged. The other bloke may think he has beaten you until you blat past him and change up as you pass him!

Les
Old 15 September 2003, 12:57 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

Erm I hate to say it but whether you were in a STI8 or a fiat panda you have to rev the nuts off it and abuse the clutch to get the best start off the lights.

Also the way you are describing it is that you expect naturally aspirated performance @ under 2k rpm from your car. Unfortunately the compression ratio of our engines are lower than that of an NA engine which hinders low rpm power and torque if you compare an engine size like for like.

At the end of the day if you do a 'granny' start then put your foot down waiting for the power band - you may well be beaten to 20 mph by 'granny' cars LOL
Old 15 September 2003, 01:00 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

If you get it right, for 'off the lights' you should be able to beat virtually anything - 0-40 the scoob has been measured as quicker than an F1 car. But don't expect your clutch to last, nor the engine if you have a TMIC & do this a lot...
Why not just drive casually? It's a lot easier, doesn't break anything, and you don't end up looking like a prat for even trying in the first place
Old 15 September 2003, 01:08 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

I do drive casually,as stated in my previous message. I don't expect NA performance as this is my third Turbo'd car and its quite simply awful from low revs compared to the others. Other than that its awesome. Just checking there's nothing wrong with my motor and that other people experience the same.
Old 15 September 2003, 01:09 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

I hear what you are saying, but I am talking about casual driving.
For instance - you see a gap in the traffic and think "that will do" - Set off and BOG...........you wait ....BOG you wait BOG Maybe 1-2 seconds later you take off like a missile.

The STI7 is bordering on dangerous when cold sometimes you are in danger of being rammed at junctions.

And I don't accept that all cars are like that. I had an MX5 before this and the clutch lasted 12 years (still going strong)
Old 15 September 2003, 01:28 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

ShyTot, I completely agree. The car is 'dangerous' in certain conditions. Like I've said I've been nearly cleared up, and I wasn't even going for a 'dodgy' gap in the traffic, I was pulling on to a roundabout and the car bogged from what I would call almost over the top revs (2000-2500rpm). Its easily remidied by just giving a few extra revs but its by no means great on car costing £20k+, still love the thing though!
Old 15 September 2003, 01:54 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

I'd agree that off the line with low revs is dangerous, and I myself have had several near hits - even when there was more than enough time to pull out.

I did find that when I changed my downpipe for the ***** free type, I had a much better low down pull, and it lost most of this awful "bogged down, towing a 21-wheeler truck, feeling."

The only thing I can suggest is, raise the revs when pulling away at roundabouts and junctions and try and be gentle with the clutch. Although you'll probably find you need a clutch in 6 months time
Old 15 September 2003, 02:16 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

i have the answer

buy an auto
Old 15 September 2003, 02:30 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

I would seriously consider that if they would only import it.
Old 15 September 2003, 02:40 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

T B H so would i
i hate changing gear the box is ok but the clutch is a bit heavy and can be like a switch
Old 15 September 2003, 04:58 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Get an Ecutek 3 re-map and then see the difference,low down still isnt wonderfull but it is compared to a standard car.

Zippy
Old 15 September 2003, 08:25 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I must say that I don't know the sti7 but do remember my old MY00 from when it was standard - yeesh, poo down at the bottom. Actually, a bit poo at the top thinking back . It is a case of being seriously careful with the 'positioning in the power band' - the newer cars will be far worse than, say, the Fiat Coupe, as the emissions laws now require the cat to be in ridiculous places, completely screwing up the flow. Which shows most where the car's not going to be good in the first place - low down.
Ditching the cats - as already pointed out - will make a huuuge difference. Oddly, going for a larger turbo (if you're thinking of going nuts ) makes the car much better to 'potter' in as there's so little exhuast restriction, so it drives in a very NA way at low rpm.
Or just go for an old car next time that doesn't need all this emissions crap