Notices

EcuTek Vs Dawes, AFR, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2003, 02:24 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers for the reply Greasemonkey, very much appreciated. Your response is pretty much what I was expecting, but it's still good to hear from someone who knows what they're talking about

Having read even more posts...

There is an argument for sticking with AE802 because it runs richer fuelling and takes more boost before it dets, also it is better at retarding with detonation as it has a functional low octane ignition map. So for people using a manual boost controller the AE802 could be a bit better and/or safer.
...(thanks again JB), and weighing everything up, I think I'm going to stick with the AE802 for the time being, and live with the occasional hesitation. Then an order will be sent in the direction of Jamie Whitfield for a Dawes DSBC, and AFRM

That just leaves the down pipe, back box, knocklink, boost guage... Oh, well it's only money after all...!

Right, I'm off for a few beers in the sun.

Regards,

Ade.
Old 09 December 2003, 02:26 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Question

Afternoon people,

Having been driving my standard MY00 for 2 months, I now want to "tweak" it.

Whilst using the Search facility, I came across a thread http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=100352 in which The Oracle (John Banks ) made a comment which I'd just like some opinions on really...

Decat, Dawes, Boost gauge. If you want more: HKS FCD, Knocklink, AFR or remap
I will be getting a down pipe and a non-pea-shooter back box anyway, and for the sake of £130, a Knock Link (you never know, do you). Obviously the Dawes, AFR, FCD, and boost guage would be considerably cheaper than a re-map, but how comparable? Remember I have the "hesitant" AE802, so would I stll suffer from hesitation if I go down the non-re-map route? I'm assuming a re-map would fix this problem however.

I don't need massive power gains, I just want a bit more drivability. I don't plan on taking it on any tracks...

As ever, your responses are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ade.

[Edited by The_Judge - 9/12/2003 2:27:27 PM]
Old 09 December 2003, 07:17 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

If more driveability is your prime goal, the simplest, safest way to achieve it would probably be to get hold of an AE801. Straight swap, and no need to mess with anything else.

If you do go the manual boost controller route, you are correct in thinking you'll be stuck with the hesitation. About the only upside of the AE802 ECU is that it fuels even richer than the 801, giving you slightly more headroom to up the boost before it goes too lean, but of course if you're stuck with the hesitation, who cares about the boost?

Even if you go for a remap, you still really need the Knocklink, AFR meter and boost gauge, so, bearing in mind your goals, I'd suggest that the Dawes route, plus an AE801 would probably be the most cost-effective way of getting where you want to be.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 9/12/2003 7:17:51 PM]