Notices

Motech or PPP

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2003, 05:21 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a WRX01. I have put on a performance exhaust and changed the springs and brake discs and pads. I have been wondering about getting a bit more out of the wrx and have not been sure whether the motech mapped unit or a ppp would be the better option?

does anyone know what the ppp consists of?

cheers,
andy
Old 18 August 2003, 05:56 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The PPP consists of an ECU, Samco silicone turbo to intercooler pipe, and an exhaust system.

The main attraction of the PPP in comparison to other options is that it retains the Subaru warranty and also adds a small amount to the secondhand value of the car. However, if you've already laid out on warranty-voiding, and expensive aftermarket bits, there's little point going that route.

To be honest there's no point getting a Motec at this point in time either, as this option is really more suited to cars with significant engine modifications, such as bigger turbos and injectors, that the standard ECU can't be mapped around. If you're going to alter the electronics, you'd be much better off getting the current ECU remapped.

Before that though, you'll be looking at a full exhaust system (if you don't already have one), induction piping, good panel filter (if you don't already have one), good boost gauge, AFR meter, KnockLink, manual boost controller etc. etc.

Old 18 August 2003, 06:01 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

i have a full firestorm exhaust system but that is it. What is the next mod to get then?

a re-mapped ecu or something else?
Old 18 August 2003, 06:59 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

To be honest there's no point getting a Motec at this point in time either, as this option is really more suited to cars with significant engine modifications, such as bigger turbos and injectors, that the standard ECU can't be mapped around.

The standard ECU can be mapped around bigger turbos, exhausts, etc. Ecutek have come up with the software to map the standard ECUs. They have mappers all over the UK and in quite a few different countries. http://www.ecutek.com

Cheers,

George.
Old 18 August 2003, 07:31 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I know they can George. Was just trying to emphasise the point that there's no poing going Motec on a car this close to standard
Old 18 August 2003, 07:44 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

ARM - is this a full TSL decat system from the downpipe rearwards, or just the backbox? If it's just the box, you'll be looking at getting the rest of the bits to go with it.

Beyond that, a good (K&N or Green) panel filter, then the Samco induction pipes, good boost gauge, AFR meter, KnockLink and either a Dawes Device, or seeing as you're so keen on getting the ECU fiddled with, an EcuTek remap courtesy of someone like Dr Banks.

If you really want to push the boat out, get hold of a TD05 or maybe a VF34 turbo before you go for the remap, but don't forget to find out how much your insurance company will sting you for any power increases. Much better to know this sort of thing before you jump than after
Old 19 August 2003, 10:16 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice grease monkey. I have the full system from the down pipe but shall look into the hoses and the filter too. I just basically want to push the scoob up to about 250-260bhp. The reason I am looking now is as my insurance is down now as I am another year older and have 8 years of now claims now too!!

I just didn’t want to take the advice of a shop, I had been told to just get a motech next as that could push up the boost on its own without any other mods!
Old 19 August 2003, 11:24 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may wish to remove the uppipe cat as well.
Old 19 August 2003, 11:33 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

i was told that will damage my air flow meter?
Old 19 August 2003, 11:34 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

i was told that will damage my air flow meter?
Old 19 August 2003, 11:42 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removing an uppipe cat does not damage the airflow meter. Some EGT probes fail on modified WRXs (but they also do on standard cars) and some people relocate them because of this. Unless reprogramming the ECU or fitting an aftermarket ECU you need a box to stop the CEL you get when the front cat is removed.
Old 19 August 2003, 12:27 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

You cant get a PPP because you've replaced the exhaust - Subaru UK will not fit a PPP to a modified car

Motech are supposed to be the danglies - but isnt it a bit overkill for the road?

ECUtek would seem to be the best bet - try scoobysport or similar - they would make use of your exhaust when remapping!

Jza
Old 19 August 2003, 01:40 PM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

ECUTEK, you can have your car mapped as it is and then if you have any further mods you can have it altered. PPP gets 260bhp ish from ECU silicon pipe and BB so no need to go splashing out on all those other goodies just yet as they dont come with the PPP do they. If your going TEK3 285bhp then thats when you need to splash out.

All IMO of course
Daz.
Old 19 August 2003, 02:16 PM
hypoluxa
Scooby Regular

Whoever advised you on fitting a motec to a 'oem spec' car is a salesman, not a tuner.

I presume it was the same place that told you about up-pipes destroying airflow meters?
Old 19 August 2003, 05:21 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

lol. yes all are the same person.

So basically with the full system i have up to the down pipe, the next options for me are to get my ecu remapped, and look to have the down pipe removed, plus an air filter?

any ideas of the possible bhp gain from that?
Old 20 August 2003, 08:48 AM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

Full decat and filter with ECUtek3 from scoobysport is 285bhp so I guess your'll be round there somewhere.
Daz.
Old 20 August 2003, 11:24 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

cheers daz. would you advise scoobysport to do the work?
Old 20 August 2003, 12:22 PM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

they are pretty well known, there are others around. Check out the ECUTEK site, they have a banner on here and they have mappers located everywhere, just pick the closest.
Daz.