Notices

MoTec & STi7

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2003, 11:23 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Who's had an STi7 remapped using a MoTec ECU and sports up-pipe/downpipe cat (can never remember the correct technical term for that)? If yes what has your experience been to date?

Feel free to email me off-line if that's more comfortable.

Trying to make comparisons between this method as a power/torque upgrade path as opposed to Ecutek remapping. I have concerns re roadside emissions checks, hence the question.

As ususal please don't guess at this. Only respond if you can do so from your own personal experience of using this kit.

Thanks

WB
Old 18 August 2003, 01:17 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

How long is a peice of a string?

Who are you going to get to map it? The capabilites of the ecu hardware are only going to help you as far as the mapper is capable of using them. For instance, if your motec is mapped with an 11 load zone map (as mine was originally), then it has barely any more map resolution than a 10 row link ecu, IYSWIM.
Old 18 August 2003, 01:28 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't say which model of motec you are talking about either, and this also has a large bearing on the results.

I would be careful to ensure that the motec you are being sold _will_ be able and mapped to controll yous car's variable cam timing system. An ECUTEK map would definitely have support for the cams, along with proper idle control etc.

"Antilag" and "launch control" are really just gimicks on a road car, they are both mechanically unsympathetic to the car and will wear things/stress things/break things over time. Don't let anyone sell you an ECU that will compromise your everyday use of the car for the sake of it having motorsports features.

I reckon that you would be best off with a custom ECU Tek remap, unless you have very serious plans for big engine conversions and silly power in the near future.

I do believe I have enough "qualifiying" experience in this area to warrant posting this.