Notices

Legacy Turbo Estate

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2003, 10:04 AM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Sorry Mark, You'll have to shout up a bit, I cant quite hear ya mate. It's these noisey tappets ya know!

I think the heads will have to be sorted on mine. Theres nowt worse than a beautiful exhaust note at the back and a deisel engine / Ford cvh engine sound up front.

Keep in touch fellas.

Ste.

[Edited by STE.W. - 8/2/2003 10:06:18 AM]
Old 27 July 2003, 05:19 PM
Teflon
Scooby Regular

Just bought myself a 94 legacy turbo estate (UK).
Had a saloon a few years ago and fancied something inexpensive that would be fun.
Great car; forgot what i had been missing, just love that turbo whistle.
Anyone got any advice on the following:
Sensible and inexpensive mods for a bit more power (don't want mega horse power or huge noise).
What is the best replacement clutch as mine has started the dreaded judder?
What is the best oil to use so as to help keep the tappets quiet?
What mods to improve the brakes?
Thanks in anticipation.

Old 29 July 2003, 01:39 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Thumbs up

Teflon, Hi welcome to the world of the High Speed Hearse

Pavlo is prolly "the man" on these cars but I'll try to give the best info I can from my own findings.

Second hand Exhaust from turbo back will give good gains at a cheap price. Look in the forsale section. The Impreza downpipe will fit on no worries apart from the studs and fasteners being a tw@ to remove that is

If you keep the mid section with the cat you "should" get through the mot next time round. It will also keep noise down if you go for down pipe and back box mods.

If you want to buy new then look through the exhaust threads and make your own mind up.

Try to get hold of Legacy specific silencers and mid sections though unless your the daddy at welding etc.

I fitted a panel filter (itg) but people seem to be leaning towards oil free k&n panels etc due to worries over maf failures.

Ive just fitted a K&N induction kit but not too sure if Im happy with the sucking noise and the uncontrollable flames and cracks from the exhaust on lift off, gear change and over run... mad as f-ck.

a dawes device is a good way of upping the boost but you must fit a knock link and boost guage as a minimum amount of monitoring gear so you dont blow your engine to bits

Pavlo is the kiddy regarding Legacy re-mapping

Lateral Performance should be a good place to sart regarding your upgraded clutch.

I have noisey tappets (still) and have tried most things to quieten the buggas down. I am currently changing the oil at 3 thou intervals and am using Castrol 10w60 RS oil. I was using Mobil M/Sport 15W50 before this and noted no noise difference / improvement between the two. Costs are similar between both oils really.

Wynnes top end treatment seemed to help a little but the noise comes and goes as it pleases. So the only long term option is Impreza heads and a nice bill to go with em

I ve fitted Pagid RS4-2 pads to standard Dealer discs these were one of the best things that I have ever done to the car. The breaks are fantastic compared to before. Got the pads from Performance Breaking. They gave quality advice and their prices are good to boot. Other people are using Ferodo DS pads and are having similar performance improvements as me.

Choices choices eh!

Good Look Mate.

All I can say is be carefull when over taking

People dont expect a car as descreet as ours to be able to pass at such velocity. Give the car (s) in front of you as much warning as possible before surging past em. Similar to being on a motor bike really. Treat all in front like idiots.

Any way I'm sure you already know this, youve had the saloon before hand.

If you need to start swatting up, have a butchers through the search section. You can learn a fair bit in there. A hell of a lot of Impreza bits fit on without any fuss or nonsense.

Bye.

Ste.

[Edited by STE.W. - 7/29/2003 1:45:04 PM]
Old 29 July 2003, 08:10 PM
Teflon
Scooby Regular

Cheers Ste.
Will keep an eye in the For Sale section and improve as and when funds are available.
Previous owner fitted an ITG so I will keep that.
Can a Dawes be fitted and set to provide a reasonable increase in boost without the link and gauge or this asking for trouble?
Also, how do I get in contact with Pavlo?
Know what you mean about other road users, most haven't got a clue what's coming past them.
Thanks again
Old 30 July 2003, 08:40 AM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Teflon.

With ref to the Dawes Device. In theory it could be used with out the knock link BUT... it would be very risky if you were to increase boost without monitoring what the engine is doing.

I originaly fitted a Dawes but fitted a boost guage to set the car up.

Pavlo is still in the middle of developing the Legacy ecu upgrade but if you need to contact him , put a post up on here asking for his assistance. That should get you a start.

Have a look at the Scoobyecu site on here for more info as to what its all about.

The Dawes would be a stop gap until Pavlo has the chips fully sorted. But you must sort out the monitoring gear first.

I have a boost guage, Fuel meter and Knock link fitted to be on the safe side but some of the other fellas on here monitor just about everything they can to be safe. Although these may appear costly, its a lot cheaper than a replcement engine

The exhaust maybe your best bet to start with though. If you remove the original down pipe and fit one from any of the top suppliers you would notice a big improvement in performance.
The back box is something you need to think about a little. Diferent back boxes make different noise and look slightly different.
The same suppliers also manufacture Legacy specific boxes to suit the Estate. Must be for the Estate the Saloon rear box wont fit!

The other thing you could do is "first" read up on resonator box removal from the air intake system. If you are up for removing this resonator box it allows a free flowing path of air from the wheel well straight into your air box. I did this on mine and it helped the car pick up quicker. (I didnt have any running problems with mine either.)

I'll let you make your own decisions on this one

The negatives are that a lot more crap can be forced into the filter and moisture could get onto the maf sensor and **** up the mixtures. This seems to happen more on the newer more fragile maf sensors fitted to later Imprezas though.

The beauty of these cars is we've got the same levels of technology as the Imprezas but we've got em a lot cheaper.

Due to budgets etc you can tap into the Impreza tuning world and take your time modifying our cars to suit our pockets.

Just be careful you dont get hooked like me and try to find things that need modifying just because you can

What wheels you got on it mate? 16" Impreza wheels make the car handle a lot better than the standard 15"s. You can get these for around 100 pound a set out of the forsale section.

All in good time though eh!!

Good look.

Ste.

Old 30 July 2003, 07:44 PM
Teflon
Scooby Regular

Thanks again Ste.
I think I will go with exhaust first.
Wheels are standard 15's, looking for a set of 17's to improve looks and handling.
Do you think 16's are a better bet?

Old 31 July 2003, 08:27 AM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Teflon.

In the past I was always advised that if you want looks, go for 17"s but it will compromise the ride and handling.

If you wanted better handling 16"s were best but didnt look as good on the car.

I fitted 17"s to my Sunny GTI, it looked amazing but didnt like blatting round country lanes as much as it did on 15's and it was a bit edgy at speed in the wet. Obviuosly a different type of car but the advice was right.

I dont know these days with the later cars cos theyre already running 16"s as standard. I would think they are upgrading to 17"s without a problem. Its only one size up. Some are looking into 19"s and are already running 18"s. These must be for street driving not country lane use though

I must admit I have been thinking bout going for a set of Scooby 17"s myself but I'm waiting for the prices to come down when the lads (and lasses) have all got there 18's and 19's sorted.

Again, the forsale section is a good place to look but make sure you know what your buying before you send cheques out.

Keep us informed of your upgrades and how you got on mate.

Legacy info is getting a bit thin on the ground these days, so lets keep the "Ultimate Subaru" alive on here eh

zzzziiiiiiiiippp......

Climbs into flame suit and waits for action

Ste.
Old 01 August 2003, 01:47 PM
3999_projects
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Hi,

I've fitted the Pagid Grp N+ Grooved Discs and pads to the front of my Legacy and they are well worth the dosh (about £250). The Standard discs had warped, as I would imagine will tend to happen if you mix standard discs with uprated pads.

Have a look at the brakes section in the scooby shop.
Old 01 August 2003, 04:14 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

3999 Hi.

I ve got the RS4-2's fitted to genuine Discs. At the moment I cant / darent treat the brakes any harder than I am.

I used them over the moors last night and had the disks glowing and the pads smoking After a 10 minute cooling down drive they were back to perfect working condition with no warpage at all.

At the high temps I had them up to, the only thing that happened was extra pedal travel and increased stopping distance.

I think disks tend to warp when they are either at the end of their life or have been used hard without cooling them down sufficiently when you stop. The pad then forms a heat spot on the disc and causes temp differences on a cooling disk and then warpage occurs.

Having said all this I too will be looking into either changing to a four pot set up or the group N+ set up that you have.

All good input.

Ste.

Old 01 August 2003, 08:22 PM
mark245
Scooby Regular

Hi Teflon, welcome mate. Lots of good advice. As STe has said, 16" wheels are a great mod. They really do transform the overall feel and handling of the car. Cant coment on 17" only to say a) they are more expensive to pick up second hand b) rubber in this size is generally priceier and 16" is probably all the wheel you really need.
STe also mentioned tappets. I recently bought my legacy saloon and that has had WRX heads fitted, although it was'nt a deciding factor in buying it. These engines go on for ever with noisy tappets, and you'll probably get used to it!
Good luck, mark
Old 02 August 2003, 01:03 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

my legacy has at least 140k on it and the tappets just TAP

you will get used to it changing the oil stops it for five minutes!

exhaust and downpipe make a big difference.

the best thing about the legacy is nobody reallises how fast they are so you get lots of fun and you can park anywhere and it will still be there when you come back!