Notices

Is there a downside to superchips?

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2003, 04:10 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The reason I ask is that they seem "properly" priced.

Like most things on Scoobynet, there is this feeling of pay more get more. Ecuteks, Gems, Motec etc or Bridgestones are not cool, get yaself some Toyo's, Goodyears etc they happen to cost twice as much but hey it's cool!

Is superchips another cheap but perfectly good mod that the mappers would have us believe is naff or is it genuinely a bodge of the ECU. Would really like to hear from people who have superchipped thier cars.

Mikey <Not having a go at anyone, just voicing an opinion>
ps i've got BF Goodrich profiler G tyres. £55 each and have lasted for 22,000 miles sofar and the grip is everybit as good as the £100 toyos and £120 goodyears and they last twice as long and I don't drive like a fairy
Old 24 July 2003, 05:05 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No idea Mikey so can't comment but on the superchip but very interested to hear more abut these BF Goodrich thingies

Sick of having to replace tyres every 3 months and you may just of saved my life

Cheers
Si
Old 24 July 2003, 05:50 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
SiPie- I don;t know what you do to your tyres but my F1's have done 8000 miles of mixed but hard driving including some trackdays and look to have the same again left in them. Perhaps you have a geometry problem, if they are wearing that fast, unless you drive everywhere with screeching tyres that is!
Old 24 July 2003, 06:31 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Question

Are you having to change all 4 Si_Pie? If it's just ya fronts, move em to the back and put 2 new ones on the front. Take it easy for a few days while they bed in and you get used to them and then so on. Changing all 4 at the same time might be the ideal/designer thing to do but in my real world i can't afford to do that so I do 2 at a time I ain't proud

Remember to adjust to them though, the back will be a little lively

Mikey
Old 24 July 2003, 06:36 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Isn't that asking for a "rear-end overtakes front-end" scenario? Better with the worn tyres on the front for safe understeer rather than scary rear end instability
Old 24 July 2003, 07:10 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Well, Superchips is a very overpriced product
Wop on a Dawes (£50?) & one of JB's DIY fuel-cut defenders (~£5) & you have something with the same performance, but better boost control, than the Superchips.
At, I think, a lot lower price?
Old 25 July 2003, 08:58 AM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

Profiler G tyres every bit as good as Eagles and Toyos?
Not in my experience, especially not in the wet. Not saying they are bad, but not as good as the eagles
Old 25 July 2003, 12:39 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

You paid £100 for Toyo's . Hope you have 18" wheels. Aren't Toyo seen as more of a budget tyre compared to Bridgestone and Goodyear anyway?????

Superchips...... all it does is up the fuel cut and then the boost is upped too. If that's what you want to do then fine but the fuel and ignition maps really should be optimised to suit the new boost level. If all you want to do is up the boost then as stated above and Dawes and diy FCD is you best bet and far far cheaper. Again be careful of how much you up the boost or you may need some new pistons .

Tony.
Old 29 July 2003, 11:00 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

I suppose the tyre thing is subjective, I enjoy the scoob far more when it's NOT stuck to the road like a limpet, i like the slidy stuff, it's nice to have the odd power slide/drift round roundabouts etc. Therefore having less grippy tyres at the back suits me, and tyres that give up grip easier in the wet mean i don't have to be overly aggressive with the car or be doing kamikaze speeds to have fun.

Only my opinion mind, I don't think it's a bad thing if you know your car is going to slide or step out. Some people prefer the grip and will goto great length to abolish any form of sliding. You know, bumpsteer mods, suspension changes, geometry changes, tyres, roll bars, strutt braces etc. Nothing wrong with that at all, indeed there are a few days where i wished that my scoob was as "Sticky", but like aircon, for the sake of the odd day wishing for it, i don't loose sleep about not having it!

Mikey
Old 29 July 2003, 12:57 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Sorry Mikey.. but you do drive like a fairy

Jza
Old 29 July 2003, 02:52 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hiya Jza, how ya doin

The last time you saw me driving, i'd only had the scoob for about 2 weeks. Since then I've done about 40 meets and 51,567 miles
You could say I've got the hang of them now

Seeya at the next meet, with ya lardy 01. Thankfully it's got PPP but remember, Power is NOTHING without mikey, sorry, i meant control

Mikey