Notices

Very low power run results??

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2003, 12:04 PM
Graham H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had a power run done at PowerStation and found the results to be a lot lower than expected?

I was there last week getting Eibachs fitted (very nice by the way!!) and thought while I was there I would have a run on the rollers.

I have a MY01 with full de-cat including the up pipe, ITG air filter, Forge vta dump valve and a recent ECUTEK 3 remap.

I was expecting to get about 280 – 285 bhp and about 270 Ibs torque.

I got ONLY 255 bhp and 240 Ibs torque.

I was gutted. I would have expected those sorts of numbers before having the ECUTEK 3 remap.

Should I go back and get my re-mapping looked at or are PowerStation rollers very conservative??

Thanks,

Graham.
Old 21 July 2003, 01:26 PM
217 bhp
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

If it helps (and ok it is a very different car) when my old tuned 106 GTI was RR'd there I thought the same about the power figures.
Their explanation for why my figures differed from those obtained elsewhere was due to the spacing of the rollers amongst other things. That said though I did manage a creditable 161 bhp (flywheel) there which matched the figure I got from Cooper and West in Manchester the difference being the huge transmission losses as Powerstation.
I wouldn't worry too much, as I am sure others on here will tell you how the car drives is the best indication of the power not some approximate figure on a rolling road that is subject to many variables.
For what it's worth though Powerstation do really seem to know what they are on about and were happy to answer any question I threw at them - plying me with countless cuppas to which was nice
Old 21 July 2003, 02:26 PM
rapac
Scooby Regular

Id say 255 with these mods is a top result considering stock is 200 something.
Maybe a fmi and 16 to 17psi boost will get u closer to 280?

Cheers
Old 21 July 2003, 03:01 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Go to PE & you'll probably get the results you were thinking of
Most numbers lobbed about the place are from PE as they read 'high', whereas Power Station I think is one of the 'low' ones. That doesn't mean one is better than the other, they just all seem to have different size horses .
It doesn't matter anyway. If the car goes well, be happy
Old 21 July 2003, 03:17 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

what was the air flow over the TMIC like. did you have a 120mph fan ducted into the intercooler. if not then you cant expect to get genuine figures. i ran my motor at a RR here in Northern Ireland and the guy had a piddly wee fan that was **** all use to man or beast. topped out 194 bhp when he said it was misfiring badly. 4 cars ran that day all down on power. an sti7 with PPP had already been verified at 302bhp was put on as a test subject and came away with 220 odds.

Turbo cars need good air flow or else you are wasting your time. when i drove the car home i tested her and she pulled strongly with no misfires.

draw your own conclusions

just my 2p worth

cheers

big sinky
Old 21 July 2003, 06:25 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Don't worry, Powerstations rollers are renowned for reading low compared to some others. Basically, take 20bhp off what you were expecting when you go to PS.
Old 22 July 2003, 08:02 AM
Graham H
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replys.

Especially like the comment about Powerstation just having smaller horses.

Not sure what fan they used when they did the run.
Unfortunately I wasn't there.

My TEK3 'mapper' has kindly agreed to have a check for me to put my mind at ease that all is ok.

I do feel that I wasted £50 getting the power run done if the figures are not correct and its reading 20 to 25 bhp low.

Also If the power figures are low does it follow that the torque will also appear low?
Without getting to technical I understand the two are figures are related.

Graham.
Old 22 July 2003, 09:30 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Rolling road figures are good for one thing and one thing only....COMPARISON.

Either of your own car as you add modifications or of your car against another on the same day.

The actual figures themselves are unimportant really and should only ever be seen as a guide. If you go to diferrent rolling roads you WILL get (sometimes greatly) different figures on exactly the same car. A bit like Bathroom scales How many times have you weighed yourself at home and found you are 1/2 stone heavier/lighter somewhere else?

If you take your car to one set of rollers and get 240bhp and then add a load of mods and get 290bhp, you get an indication that your mods have worked. If you get 245bhp, chances are they haven't worked.

Also if you go to a RR shootout and get 30bhp more than a car with similar mods, that again is an indication that you are doing the right thing. The figures themselves are purely arbitrary.

Sure, you know the car doesn't have 100bhp and you know it doesn't have 500bhp, but don't place too much stock in the exactness of the figure itself. What you need to do is look what other people have got at the same rollers and compare against that, but even then ambient temperatures can have an effect. You'll usually get higher figures in January than you will in July.

Cheers

Rich
Old 22 July 2003, 12:01 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Yes, I got a "low" reading at Powerstation. I have a Turbo with full decat, induction kit and Tek-2. I got 254bhp, and I expected around 270/275bhp. The reference above to their rollers being about 20bhp down (linear offset?) seems about right.