Help

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2003, 02:37 PM
sti4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi

I have a 98 sti V4 at the moment and have been thinking of spending some cash to improve the performance. I already have a induction kit and full decat.

I was just about able to hang on to the back of a 03reg astra gsi 2.0 turbo last night so I am in need of some serious power, so what should i do next and how much do you think it will cost me
Old 16 July 2003, 02:42 PM
Eddoe
Scooby Regular

Was the astra standard?? I know they are fast but i would expect even a standard sti to tear one apart!!!
Old 16 July 2003, 04:43 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Why is it important whether or not you can nail an Astra in a straight line?

For starters if you didn't have a straight line advantage of some description either the other car was modded or there's something wrong with yours.

Secondly, if the road was wet, or had any corners in it, the other guy wouldn't know which way you went, so why worry?
Old 16 July 2003, 05:58 PM
sti4
Scooby Regular

Sorry should have explained it was my mate in his new car and it originally caught me unawares and he started to pull away and it took till about 6k in third that i started to pull him in. It may have been a different story when we got into 4th and 5th but we ran out of road. Its just that it has 217 standard i think and mine is knocking out 280+ and i would have expected to have been stuck to his bumper

I know it should be a different story in the wet, I dont want to upgrade the car just because of this.

I want more go esp in 3rd and 4th, At the moment it makes loads of noise and doesnt have as much urgency as the noise suggests.
Old 16 July 2003, 06:23 PM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Location: From : somewhere between here & there - also at wyioc.co.uk - are you?
Alrite m8.

My Type-R goes like a plane in 3rd and 4th leaving you hanging on for dear life! Maybe something is cutting your boost back!
Old 16 July 2003, 06:32 PM
sti4
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

No its not hte boost. If i floor it i get a spike to about 19psi and it settles to a stock 14/15 psi.

I had it on a rolling road day a couple of months ago and got 284bhp and 242 torque which i was dissapointed with as i had a full decat, the operator did say that it was overfueling in the midrange a lot.

Old 16 July 2003, 06:43 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

have you got a remapped ECU..??? i would go this route with the mods you have and especially as you have an STI...

Could be worth getting a FMIC then the remap...

Dan

Trending Topics

Old 16 July 2003, 07:41 PM
sti4
Scooby Regular

Yeah thats what i was thinking Dan. Reason I say this is because at the rolling road day a sti 4 with fmic,induction,exhaust and up pipe got 325 without a remap. I have to say that i was gutted with the figures I got.

But I am not sure on what mods to do and when, ecu is going to be a must but what should i go for link,uni chip.

Should i get FMIC and up pipe first and leave it a while for ecu do to costs or should I go for a link and when i have the cash for the FMIC get it remapped again
Old 16 July 2003, 09:46 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

I'd get a bigger Turbo, with a proper boost controller and uprate the fueling, then a remap, leave the intercooler till you have the cash like you say