Notices

Have I changed the wrong temp sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2003, 09:18 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

My 93 WRX has been suffering an intermittant coolant temp fault, which has resulted in the fans sometimes comming on when warming up (with CEL), and lead to this thread...

This weekend, the sensor died completely, so the fans come on all the time, and starting is proving a bit tricky since the idle valve doesn't work (ECU doesn't know the engine is cold )

So, I have now changed the sensor (well, a sensor), but the bl00dy fans are still on!!
The sensor I have changed has a 2-pin brown plug, and was hidden away underneath the inlet manifold, not far from the turbo. Was this the right sensor to change?

Help!
Old 30 June 2003, 10:24 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Bah!

Poxy ECU wanted a reset before clearing the fault!!

All sorted now

Thanks to the guys in the previous thread for providing inspiration to change the sensor . Managed to get at it after removing the inlet pipe to the turbo and unplugging a few other smaller hoses. Even after removing all this rubber, it's still a 'feel in the dark' exercise and a bit fiddly. Will have sore hands for the next few days!!

Oh, and no thanks to the local subaru dealer who reckoned it was the 'fan sensor mounted on the rad', and nothing to do with the ECU!!