Notices

WRX STI LPG Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2003, 01:12 PM
Critch
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I moved out into the country and have 60 miles of open country roads to negotiate everyday, fuel bills are becoming a problem, has anyone got any experience with running a WRX STI on LPG?
Old 26 June 2003, 01:51 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

If there's anyone who will do it, the cost will be outrageously expensive due to the flat-4 engine and that the car is turbocharged. You really need multi-point injection LPG setup in these and because of the engine layout it would be a nightmare.

Not to mention questionable as to long-term reliabilty since these engines are very particular as to fuelling. Octane isn't a problem cos LPG is over 100, but the LPG ECU needs to get fuelling spot-on under all conditions including richening the mix when on boost, otherwise your engine is at risk.

Not worth the bother/risk IMO - you'd need to do a **** load of miles to recoup the cost and hope your engine doesn't pop first! Buy a diesel for running around in and keep the scoob as a fun car.
Old 26 June 2003, 02:01 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Babber.....

Jza
Old 26 June 2003, 09:52 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I agree that you should use multipoint gas injection BUT you dont have to.
my legacy runs on lpg 90% of the time no problem i have a simple old fashioned system and it works fine have the fuel set a bit rich just in case but its never been any problems i have 3 cars running on lpg and all do really well.
I dont know how clever the ecu is on my car MY92 but it doesnt seem to retard ignition or cut boost just drives like on petrol except the price!
still need a big tank though!
Old 26 June 2003, 09:55 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

also dont know about a sh*t load of miles i do 350 a week and im saving about 30 a week system cost 600 i fitted it myself so should break even soon!