Notices

Speedo Readings

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2003, 08:47 PM
Nev_B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks.

Sorry this may have been covered before, but I need a definitive answer. I am looking to buy a grey import, probably a second hand car already used and registered in this country.

I am having problems understanding the mileage/kilometres readings shown on the cars. Would the reading have been changed at import to show miles covered or would it have been left so that the reading is made up of part KM and part miles?

Thanks guys n gals.

Nev
Old 25 June 2003, 07:27 AM
Nev_B
Scooby Regular

bttt -sorry guys
Old 25 June 2003, 08:11 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Hi Nev,

I don't think there's one hard n fast method. I imported mine, and decided not to change the reading at all.
I intend to document how many km's done at time of speedo conversion. So it will be a mixed reading. (but completely unaltered)
I would contact the company who you are thinking of buying from,
before enquiring about any cars. Say something like, your after a bit of advice as your importing your own, and how do they do the mileage thing.
Old 25 June 2003, 08:26 AM
Nev_B
Scooby Regular

Thanks M8

I have already spoken to the dealer anyway who says the car reading is a mixture of KM's and Miles but does not have any documentation to substantiate the readings apart from recent service bills. I am thinking I should walk away and wait for a car which has got full or majority history. Thanks
Old 25 June 2003, 08:47 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

I bought a WRX a couple of years back and the speedo had been converted to miles and the odometer clocked back. The dealer said the mileage was as genuine as far as he knew but had no paperwork to back it up. I bought the car as it was the only one out of the four I went to see that looked like it had done the mileage on the clock, and not loads more. Turned out to be a very good car and I had it 2.5 years. The speedo was on 50k when I got it and it got stuck at 60k because it had been turned back from 80k kms. I had to get the odometer replaced as was told it would stick again every 10k because of it having been wound back. This was a MY94 car, I believe the later cars with digital odometers don't get stuck.

I would say if the car looks like it has done the mileage shown on the clock and there is some history to back it up then I would go for another like this. If in doubt get it inspected, ask the dealer if he will agree to pay for the inspection if it says the car seems to have done lots more miles than the clock, if it is fine then you pay. It may still be a good car and if you are planning to keep it for some time then reselling should not be a problem if you keep all the receipts for servicing etc. Whilst the service history from japan is nice, once you have the car it is the servicing you do that is most important.

My car came with a service book with a couple of stamps in japanese, no other history, but was fine. I sold it within 2 days of advertising to the first person to look at it.

Edited to say - didn't read your post properly, sorry, make sure you get the service history for the time it has been in the uk and check the mileage on the mots. If car was over 3 years old when it got here then the mileage on the first mot should be somewhere near what it was when it arrived if it hasn't been tampered with.

Ken

[Edited by Ken E - 6/25/2003 8:49:23 AM]

[Edited by Ken E - 6/25/2003 8:51:22 AM]