Notices

Tuned UK MY99 vs stock P1, STI etc.... whats the difference??

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2003, 09:59 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from my understanding a Jap STI5/6 should be running in the region of aprox 300bhp if the jap fuel is simulated (which it should be, as I manage it and I am lazy)

If were looking at the close boxes of the TypeR/A I would imagine you will still not beat these cars, but they are not gonna leave you standing either.

You can't just look at the engine though. Jap cars have much better/stiffer suspension and unless yours is sorted, now they will leave you on the twisty stuff. Also, the 2 door cars seem more agile round the bends then the 4 doors, so you have another issue to overcome with the TypeR's and P1's

Just my thoughts

[Edited by Gedi - 6/4/2003 10:01:00 PM]
Old 03 June 2003, 11:19 AM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Location: I wish we had a non-profit making website to put here.
Question

In around 6 weeks time, my UK turbo will be around the 320bhp mark. The question is how will this compare to the likes of my mates cars?? (standard P1, STI5, STI6). Will they still keep up due to the lower gearing and better cams etc or am I now in with a decent chance on the track??? Also, I'd be interested in a few guestimates as to my 1/4 mile times.

Cheers,

Pete.
Old 03 June 2003, 12:54 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

I would say you would beat the lot if you have 320 bhp and they are standard as you have around 40 bhp more.I would guess your 1/4 mile time would be around 13-13.5 secs.I may be wrong though as I am no techie like some of them out there.Would be nice to know though.
Old 03 June 2003, 10:10 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

I would say they come flying past you when your gearbox falls to bits
My car was an estimated 320bhp UK98, and my gearbox literally disintergrated, closely followed 6 weeks later by a total engine failure.
just bad luck I guess. What mods are on your car for it to be pushing 320bhp?
I'd be surpised if you actually pulled away from any of the cars you mentioned.
Old 03 June 2003, 11:16 PM
Nick200
Scooby Regular

Very cheerful answer!

For now your car will beat them. Just make sure eveything is monitored and it should last, but nothing lasts forever.....
Old 03 June 2003, 11:19 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Nick200,

YHM re: strut brace..

Dan
Old 04 June 2003, 06:56 AM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

My car had "41"bhp more than my friends Terzo 256bhp to my 297bhp If I was in front of him in a straight line I could NOT pull away. Ok I was in front but even if I was behind I know I wouldn't have got past him. It is a strange thing, I was pi55ed as well as I'd spent a fortune on Safe tuning only for my car to go the same way his did. I estimate to have spent about £5,000 approx on go faster bits as opposed to his £650 HKS exhaust and HKS filter. Something just doesn't add up or maybe it is just not supposed to
Old 04 June 2003, 07:43 AM
mikeesingh
Scooby Regular

Location: Fastest 4 Clyinder Manual impreza 8.83 1/4 mile GT35 Billet
my uk MY00 got 321bhp at well lane couple of weeks ago and my best 1/4 mile at santa pod is 12.86 @ 109mph
Old 04 June 2003, 11:00 AM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Talking

What a cheerful soul you are Alanjack! Sounds like you did have some very bad luck but then hundreds of others don't. The car is an my99 with K and N induction, open neck downpipe, straight through middle, Magnex backbox, prodrive ans samco hoses, IHI VF35 turbo, Walbro fuel pump and regulator, more gauges and dials than apollo 14 and its getting a tek 3 ecutek going over. What mods did your car have Alan??
Old 04 June 2003, 11:57 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't look too deep into the BHP figures so much.

Find out what the torque differences the cars produced and see what that flags up.

May end the confusion. Plus, gearing plays a part regards acceleration as well. (if power like for like)

Alan
Old 04 June 2003, 12:43 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have just spoken to John Banks. He says that since the torque will still be less than 300ft/lb then a "carefully" used gearbox should be fine. Obviously the increased power does lead to increased wear and tear but as long as I am not too vicious (which I'm not) it should be fine. He has done several similar specced cars in the past and none have had problems.......yet!!

You pays yer money and takes yer chance! Might be a good thing that I'm only a few miles from grade A breakers!

Like John and many others have said, a year or two ago no one thought a UK car over 300bhp would last but things seem to be evolving somewhat..... just look at Johns figures on standard internals..... over 400bhp. Anyway, I'm overdue for some good luck!
Old 04 June 2003, 12:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

** DISCLAIMER ALERT **

It should be pointed out that my recent results have been using unfeasibly large amounts of octane booster and I am prepared to risk the engine to do it. So just because I can get these results on my car does not mean that I can do it on others - not just because I am stingy with the power A few people have rightly suggested I clearly mention this. I just wanted to push it to see what I could do, but am under no illusions it will be reliable - I don't use the car every day, getting a rebuilt strong engine and gearbox soon so I can run it every day.
Old 04 June 2003, 12:55 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Wink

We know you're only playing John, but it goes to show something! Firstly, you have too much time and money!! LOL!! Secondly, UK engines aren't as fragile as people seem to think. I remember when a 300bhp Cossie was considered highly tuned!

I was just pointing out that tuning these engines has progressed a hell of a lot in a year or two.
Old 04 June 2003, 02:40 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

My old scoob would almost keep up with a P1 with just a full decat. I then went tek2.5, boost hoses, induction kit, forge dv and had no probs keeping up with P1's after those levels of mods, power was not quite a P1 (only just) but the torque was higher than they make standard.

Just for info
Old 04 June 2003, 04:32 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Don't mean to sound unhappy but I have just had to spend £3,000 on new engine, turbo and mapping and still don't have my car but yet but it will be worth the wait.
My mods are now
UK Terzo with:

STi4 engine
TD05 front entry
STi4 gearbox with UK ratio's (i think)
Apexi Power FC
Apexi AVC-R electroinc boost controller c/w 3 port boost solenoid?
Apexi Fuel pressure regulator
HKS iridium plugs
RC Develpoments uprated fuel pump
Thames Valley motorsport uprated oil pump
HKS FMIC with stainless steel tubing
HKS superpower flow air filter

I estimate a reliable BHP figure of approx 340 and somewhere in the region on 310lb ft of torque.
I want what everyone else wants a fast car that will blow away erverything in it's path, only sad thing is can't expect it to last very long. I should have listened to Rich Wild and followed the method he went. Both his UK turbos are still on the road and putting out over 330bhp Mine isn't on the road, that says it all really

Old 04 June 2003, 07:03 PM
WR-MIKE
Scooby Regular

My gearbox lasted approx 7 months/4000 miles after I did my engine mods third gear totally let go.
original spec was uk my99 with prodrive pack & scoobymania exaustinc d/pipe(265 bhp, 253lbf-ft)
Uprated with a APS RT kit with the sr40 turbo (355bhp, 293lbf-ft).
Mike.
Old 04 June 2003, 10:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Factory quoted power output is 280 PS on Japanese fuel. This is 276 BHP. A lot of people run Optimax and booster and the ECU can run the intended factory ignition timing and fuelling safely on this, but they still don't get 300 BHP usually even on the more optimistic rolling roads (unless they are real BS figures), and certainly nothing like on the more pessimistic ones.

The very short gearing on some imports makes the car feel very quick, but you end up spending a lot of time changing gear. Some suspension is too stiff for bumpy UK roads, some cars I've done suffer for it along roads I know well.