Notices

ROAD ANGEL OR S6 NEO SNOOPER ??

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2003, 09:10 PM
Mick WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am thinking of getting alert system but would like to know what is best for money/useage Advise Please
Old 21 May 2003, 07:46 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Road Angel seems the most popular at the moment. There have been group buys on various forums. Motoring press seem to like them too, based on group tests.

This is prob the best price available right now:
£310

Otherwise try performancefx.co.uk - excellent service and only a little more expensive.
Old 21 May 2003, 09:42 PM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

Mick.
The best way (knowing your wife) put an internal boost gauge in the cab but hide it. Don't tell sam and only turn it up when your on your own.
Hello to slowboy, do you know that Mick WRX is the mick you met at the surrey meet. Only checking as he's changed his user name.

Adam

[Edited by rb5037 - 5/21/2003 9:43:34 PM]
Old 21 May 2003, 10:07 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Adam - having read the first part of your post I suspected, but wasn't sure. How are you mate? Still taking them roundabouts?

So what was wrong with theoldgit?

Mick - I had the geodessy, which I really like for the design. The sequence of LEDs are very very easy to read, from any angle, which helps with the positioning of the unit (ie more flexible).

I have, however, just received delivery of a Road Angel. It's still in the box, but will have in the car tomorrow. So far, my impressions are that a) It's a huge unit compared to the Geodessy. Defo on to leave in the glovebox, wherever poss, rather than slipping it into your pocket. b) Looks like you need a clear line of sight to view the screen properly, but this I'll have to confirm once installed.

I got from performancefx, in case you're interested. Next day delivery, very efficient. Give me a shout if you want to check them out - I'm not a million miles away.

Hope you're enjoying the scoob

Rich.
Old 21 May 2003, 10:26 PM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

Rich

Nice to say "hello"

See you in 2/3 weeks

Adam
Old 22 May 2003, 09:50 AM
mwp
Scooby Regular

slowboy(rich), you'll have fun putting it in the glovebox every time you leave the car if you use the window/velcro mount which i would think you will ... and that's not forgetting the sci-fi laser alert thingy.

the wires and fitting are very cumbersome compared to my old bel990 which weas v.easy to detach. the connectors are all round the back of the unit with inconvenient access if it's stuck up against the widscreen.

mine is to the right of the clock. i'd be grateful if anyone's found a better solution ... i'm at work so can't post a pic.

also, the velcro mount "squeeks" - i'm either going to get some blu-tak on it or spray some silicone stuff on it - either way IT HAS TO STOPPPPPP.

functionally though it's very good. if only they kept their database up to date with deletions .. i hope the additions are more timely.

I posted these questions to them a week ago ... no answer

1. How often do you do a review of old positions and delete them ?
2. I assume new positions are added quicker then old ones being deleted ?
3. When I delete these old locations using the delete button (and blackspots)
do they get reinstalled the next time i synchronise ?
4. How do you get informed of new locations ?
5. How often is your database updated; daily, weekly ?

- mark.
Old 22 May 2003, 08:51 PM
theoldgit
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Rich, thank for the info. How is it now you have fitted it do you take it out so it dont get nicked
SCOOB IS GREAT When I can get the keys off my wife
Decided to change name now i have a car and after looking on the average age thread NOT THAT OLD AFTER ALL
Adam, Sam was reading this She dont know what you are trying to get at !!!!!!! HA HA HA
Old 22 May 2003, 10:02 PM
Mick WRX
Scooby Regular

Cool

Old 22 May 2003, 10:45 PM
Mick WRX
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rich, just been on performancex site £285 great value
Old 22 May 2003, 11:02 PM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

glad sam doesn't understand

ha ha
Old 23 May 2003, 01:29 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

mwp - thanks for the feedback. Just had a chance to try it out yesterday. So far, I haven't installed the sci-fi, laser thingy. (Didn't get out of the city yesterday.) I haven't mounted it properly yet either, just used the round velcro type pads to secure it temporarily. I'm in a classic, and had it positioned directly above the instrument binacle, which means it's at the perfect angle to view the display, and also sits in my natural line of sight.

Compared to the geodessy the RA is a little on the quiet side. At night it looks great, with the display changing colour to alert you. Very effective. However, I'm not convinced that it will be quite so effective during the day, with the music turned up.

AFAIK geodessy offer users a £50 reward for being the first to upload an unregistered location. If thats true then I'd imagine the database to be pretty up to date. As I said, I love the simplicity of the design of the Geodessy, but find it can be a little annoying since it doesn't have the directional feature of the RA. This means you get alerted even if the camera is on the other side of the road.

When I did leave the car yesterday, I found that I had to stick the RA under the seat as it didn't seem to fit in the glovebox! I don't know which is bigger - the speed camera or the speed camera detector! All I need now is one of those new '3' phones (3 times the size of a regular cell phone) and I'll need a trolley case to carry all my bits in! Just as well I drive a wagon
Old 23 May 2003, 08:24 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

rich,

sounds good. i love the color change at night. i know what you mean about loudness of beep, bel990 was much louder, although if i'm driving quick i tend to turn the crap audio off.

i'm not sure it's worth hiding it ... with all the associated garbage visable, odds are it's in the car so theives will have a go anyway.

i guess it depends where you park it. hasn't the car break-ins dropped off in the lat few years ... i used to get break ins all the time 5 or 6 years ago ... haven't had 1 in the last 6.

back to the RA .. i'm gonna call them on tuesday and ask why i've had no reply. i've got a long drive all over east anglia this weekend, so i'll see how upto/outof date the data is.

later .. mark.
Old 24 May 2003, 12:36 AM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Cool.

On a different note, I might be moving up to Cambridge. Any meets held in the area?