Notices

Legacy 1995 turbo boost

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2003, 11:33 PM
lesliedc
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being new to this make of car I would appreciate any help you can give me. I have a 1995 Legacy GT wagon (import) and would like to boost the power output. Some one suggested a turbo boost device set to run at 1 bar. Can anyone give me some pointers as to what they feel would be best for this vehicle, and what I should be looking for.
Old 18 May 2003, 05:18 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hello and welcome to the Legacy Fold...you are now the proud owner of the sleathiest car this side of anonymity!

I am unsure of the GT spec...do you have a big charge cooler on top of the engine (A big black box with "Subaru TURBO Intercooler" written on it and a filler cap?)
I know the RS was not intercooled, and consequently not that tunable. As long as yours is similar to the UK Spec MY94s (EJ20 engine, Chargecooler on the top etc etc) then you can pretty much follow impreza advice. Be aware most legacies have a slightly different (and not quite as good) turbo as the Imprezas, but aside from that they are almost identical.

Before you do anything to your car, you need to buy a knocklink.
This is a little meter that will warn you if bad fuel or too much boost is destroying your engine. Highly reccomended.

THEN you can start looking at tuning.
Old 19 May 2003, 10:44 AM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

Leslie, is it a twin-turbo (2nd gen shape more rounded than 1st gen single turbo)? I'm pretty sure it will be as a '95 GT import, in which case there not that easy to tune.

The best source of info is probably http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/legacyb4 which discusses all the twin-turbo legacies.

[Edited by DuncanG - 5/19/2003 10:45:05 AM]
Old 19 May 2003, 10:58 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

OOPS! Yeah, good point: they changed shape in 95! I forgot. Apologies.

You should still buy a knocklink, though!!!! You're running an import on UK fuel.
As some of the STi owners on here will testify, you may find UK Fuel + Octane booster STILL results in a couple of lights on the knocklink!