Notices

thinking o changing to apexi stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2003, 10:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no doubt it is a very nice ECU, but if there is no reason to change it then why bother?

There are loads of Impreza dogs dangly things you could buy that would give you substantially better returns than changing an ECU and I would say the same if you already had the Apexi stuff and were thinking Ecutek.

Portability to another Impreza - don't count on it if you want plug and play... how often do Subaru change the wiring loom and decide to add something like AVCS.... portability is something you get when you buy a generic MoTeC or Pectel which appear to have so much flexibility and customisations they could run a small town

[Edited by john banks - 5/1/2003 10:58:16 PM]
Old 01 May 2003, 09:45 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
been thinking of pulling me tek2 out and going with the apexi stuff, what would i need to go down this route and who would i need to talk to to setup
Old 01 May 2003, 10:00 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

RC Developments seem big into this stuff.

IMHO you'd want the Power FC rather than the S-AFC as the latter does not give full ECU adjustments - for example it cannot independently adjust ignition and fuelling.

AFAIK the basic Power FC is still dependent on the MAF sensor, and has only one or two features missing from the original ECU like adjustable acceleration enrichment and injector size, but these may be useful to you. It does have a nice hand controller and good map resolution, but does not retain the breadth of diagnostics like the original ECU or the quality of knock control. In addition you need a separate boost control module, although the AVC-R is extremely competent.

Do you have any special reason for choosing the Apexi kit? If not and you want a user programmable standalone for a good price, it has to be a Link with the sort of backup and experience you have with it in the UK. You can get rid of the MAF sensor and it has boost control.

If you want a custom map and you are not going above 350 BHP then the original ECU is capable enough if you get it remapped which would also be an option with several UK providers, although you won't be able to program it yourself. Above 350 BHP on the 99/00 JECS from a consumer point of view is not sorted at this stage as there are several issues.

Old 01 May 2003, 10:18 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

havent got any special reason for the apexi (and i would have used with th avc-r)some told me he used on 2 imprezas and it was the dogs danglies, was thinking of getting something that would perform well and what i could move with me to the next scoob i buy
Old 02 May 2003, 11:52 AM
===WRX===
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive had a Power FC and an Avc-r amoung other things, by...you guessed it RC Developments....the guys and gurl..realy know there stuff......a truley wonderfull bit of kit....there is not much you cant do with it.....the boost curve and the fueling is a thing of the gods....just keeps going..no flat spots or hesitation...just wham!!!!! loads of power and tourque..........and the avc-r is great..2 boost settings..and an off setting ( whitch i use on the way to work ) then two more....one for the saxo boys..and the high setting for when you feel like a bit of fun.......

but as the saying goes...if it aint broke..dont fix it.....its a lot of ££££ ..........let us know what you decide..

all the best

jay
Old 02 May 2003, 02:31 PM
Mad4it
Scooby Regular

RC Developments are very good, but also worth concidering is DP Motorsport, 01924 445174, who are based in Warrington, and very well know for the development and tuning with the Apex equipment.
Old 02 May 2003, 09:46 PM
Weenie
Scooby Regular

I have already got the apexi avcr, im quite happy with it at the moment. Im after getting a new ecu, not sure what to go for either, dont know wether it would be best to try and stop with all apexi!!??
Old 02 May 2003, 10:53 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

There is no particular reason to stick with Apexi kit just because you have an AVC-R - it would complement any ECU you got, and control the boost better than the vast majority of them.
Old 02 May 2003, 10:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

stevebt I think I saw somewhere you had put headers on the car. To make the most out of them you would need to remap. In addition, some headers seem to stop the JECS knock correction working. Since Tek 2 is quite active on the knock sensor this could give you issues. Strongly advise highest octane fuel and a knocklink.
Old 02 May 2003, 11:09 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

ive already emailed you and you advised dawes or 3 port before even thinking rempap, think ive got the 3 port sorted , still going to fit me water injcetion and got knock link wiating to be fitted, but map of ecu is a few £££££ as well as the tek 2 could be sold of so that was why i was wondering which way i should move with the mods as like i said if i put different stuff in theory i can move with me, hopefully
Old 03 May 2003, 09:31 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The 3 port would definitely need a map to sort the boost out.

The knocklink would be interesting to see where you are at with the headers. If it is a bit edgy then the water would help and may allow more boost too.

If you are wanting to tweak the maps yourself then Apexi or Link stuff would be good, but if you are a beginner you'll get more help from Link mappers as there are far more of them about.