Notices

"Jumpy" speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2003, 09:13 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,

Been happening for a few weeks now, at first I thought my eye were going!

The speedo will be quite happily say at 40mph then suddenly will jump to 50mph with no change in speed...also, I was doing "0" mph on the way to work for about 1/2mile this morning! Bizarre. Anyone got any clues as to how to solve this annoying little problem?

Thanks

Jen
Old 24 March 2003, 10:29 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

speed sensor going wrong?
loose connection on the back of the clocks?

Your car is a MY97 isn't it? If so, it will be an electronic speedo rather than cable driven. It might be worth putting a select monitor on the car to see where the fault is, as Imprezas sulk when the speed sensor dies (and so do the owners when they pass cameras at unknown speeds )

Mail me if you want a cheaper alternative to a dealer select monitor session
Old 24 March 2003, 12:45 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Hiya David,

Thanks for the reply - yeah, it's technically a '98 (although probably not that much dif. from a late '97! ) it's the one with the electronic ODO and Trip display and white dials as opposed to the black dials and non-electronic display...

I might have a look at the back of the clocks etc. just to see if it's not a loose connection, if not - Y (will be having) M!

Jen

P.S. Did you ever get my last mail re: IOW meets? I've been having a bit of trouble with the e-mail lately so I'm currently in the process of re-contacting everyone! If not, I'll mail you again anyway
Old 24 March 2003, 01:27 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I've had one mail from you. Sorry I've not responded yet. I will do tonight.
Nic & I will definitely be on the main land in the middle of April, so I'll keep my eye on the Southern forum

Best of luck with the speedo - I hope it's simple fix. (It should be if its only the speedo acting up)

[Edited by dnb - 3/24/2003 1:31:53 PM]
Old 24 March 2003, 05:56 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

No problem re: replying! Just didn't want to look rude by not replying when it was really the dodgy e-mails

Anyway, took the dash off and there were no loose plugs...might leave it tomorrow and see what happens, we're booked in at Scoobysport for a service in a week anyway - so might not be worth worrying about until then...I donno Scooby's eh? Who'd 'ave em

Jen
Old 25 March 2003, 01:40 AM
submannz
Scooby Regular

The speed sensor is on the gearbox, remove and clean and put back and all should then be fine
Old 25 March 2003, 08:45 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Submannz - thanks for the reply. Can you give a bit more info about where the speed sensor is located on the gearbox and what it looks like. Also, anything to look out for when taking it off. Sadly, I'm not a mechanic so the more info you can provide, the easier it'll make it to find for us Thanks

Jen
Old 25 March 2003, 09:06 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

There's always Chris Palmer's home page...
http://www.jimclarkeracing.co.uk/~scoobynet/

I know the information is for the MY96 and before, but the MY97/98 has a similar gear box and hopefully the same speed sensor. The pdfs there should give you some nice diagrams.
Old 25 March 2003, 09:12 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Thanks David - will check it out.
Old 25 March 2003, 09:29 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

My Rev counter has started doing this since taking the clocks out and cleaning them as they were full of dust so I thought this would be the best method of cleaning them. Wish I never bothered as I disturbed the rev counter needle and it hasn't been the same since. First it wasn't indicating the correct revs, according to delta dash. Now after playing around with it, it seems to stick on the way past 1000 rpm and stick again on the way back down. If you move the needle with your hands, you can feel it sticking at the 1000 rpm mark. HELP!!!

I'm really pissed off now, and have the clocks out in the kitchen. Anyone know how much a new one will be ??

Does anyone have any good ideas ? I know a few people have changed there black dials to white ones and suffered loads of dramas making them work again properly.

Thanks Phill

Old 25 March 2003, 09:27 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

They need some form of friction on the gears, so put some grease back on the unit and it should be much better.

By the way put some grease on the speed sensor also

[Edited by submannz - 3/25/2003 9:36:58 PM]