Notices

Where shall I start?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2003, 09:04 PM
djshaps
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I've just bought my first Scooby, a MY99 sports wagon 2000 turbo,(my missus is about to drop so I had to sell my MR2 Roadster to get something sensible) it is currently without modification totally standard except the leather seat extras that it came with originally. I am extremely pleased with peformance, but I want more!!!

Could you please let me know the most econmical and advisably mods that I should make..... to give me that little bit extra.
Old 20 March 2003, 10:34 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

Hello,

The place most people start is with the exhaust, back box for sound, becareful which you choose for this though as in a wagon it can get too loud, i have a Magnex on mine and its good but certainly wouldn't want anything louder.
For a noticable performance increase (and sound when going for it ) you will need to decat the downpipe, and possibly centre too. I had a Scoobysport D/P fitted this week to go with the Magnex B/B and straight through centre, and its made a huge difference to the acceleration, particularly noticeable in the top 2 gears.
Other than the exhaust i guess its a re map, but i doubt you would regret decatting first

[Edited by LB4 - 3/20/2003 10:35:25 PM]
Old 22 March 2003, 09:04 AM
djshaps
Scooby Newbie

Thanks LB,

I see from Magnex's website, that they do 2 back boxes for the Impreza, a 3.5 " and a 6 x 4 oval, are they basically the same, do you know and just look different?

How easy is it to change the exhaust bits, is it a DIY or find a friendly garage.

The decat parts, is it best to stick with Magnex or use another companies?

Do you know whether the K&N induction kit is a good buy?

Cheers
Old 22 March 2003, 11:42 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

I have to say i don't know if the 2 types of Magnex back box are identical in construction other than the tail pipe, but i would suspect they are .. and that its just about personal preference with regards to the look.

There is no need to stick with Magnex for the 3 parts of the exhaust after the turbo, you can mix and match most makes, i chose the Magnex oval backbox for looks and price, the non resonated centre because it was cheap ... and a Scoobysport downpipe because i didn't fancy fitting it myself and they are local to me... i am very impressed with both makes of the parts i have fitted and had fitted for me.

The middle and backbox are very easy to fit yourself, the downpipe obviously is a bit more time consuming.
Try doing a search on here with regards to fitting the downpipe, see what others have to say that have done it themselves, then decide for yourself on that, i would think its not that hard a task, just fiddly.

As for the K&N, as i don't have one fitted out of choice i can't comment on this, a friend with a MY99 had one fitted and did have engine problems. I can't honestly say it was related to the filter but who knows ,there has been much debate about air filters on here, again search for threads and make up your own mind.

Hope this helps.

LB4
Old 23 March 2003, 06:07 PM
Nick200
Scooby Regular

Get the K+N first (cheap) then the exhaust, you will notice a difference in uptake and throttle response with it and it sounds ace.
Any full decat will do, dont go mad on the price as at ther end of the day its just exhaust tubing, with these combined the difference can be mind blowing.

Then it gets expensive....

P.S K+N are good the main prob is with the maff sensor but with or without they can go. I've got a K+N and wouldn't be without it.

Then try=

Knocklink etc
New bigger turbo
ECU remap or change ECU for gems/link etc
Bigger I/C
Bigger injectors

Just say when.......
Old 23 March 2003, 06:25 PM
oz555
Scooby Regular

Put a Magnex oval and decat centre on mine, followed by a mild steel downpipe from Midland Impreza (£110) Fitted all myself. Back and centre easy jobs, front a little harder. Manifold bolts are a b#s#ard and could give you problems if you snap one(I snapped one of mine, luckily it was a nut/bolt not a nut/stud) get those loose and it's a straight forward job. Back box and centre on there own make very little difference to performance (apart from noise). Downpipe gives the whole rev range a good boost. Hope this helps.
Old 24 March 2003, 02:16 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Exhaust and filter will give you a bit more power, loads to choose from, different types suit different applications, during your forthcoming sleepness nights I suggest a full search of the archives - lots to research .

Before going any further with the power I'd personally uprate the brakes (front disks, pads, braided hoses, decent fluid), then the handling. I've found the most smiles per ££ is from the Powerstation bumpsteer removal. Its a geometry tweak that gives better turn in. Powerstation is based in Chelternham, not too far from you. However I'd get used to the 4WD handling before doing this, especially WRT to lift of oversteer since the bumpsteer removal can amplify this
Also solid droplinks and thicker ARB's aid handling, but will compomise the ride and noise.

Then if you want more power (and useable torque) talk to ECUtek as they can really exploit your exhaust and filter mods.

If your new addition to the family won't fleece you of all your money, you can always spend it on your child

Justin